Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Air Dock (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/90454-air-dock.html)

248Fourwinns 11-14-2004 04:03 PM

Air Dock

I am thinking about buying the Air Dock system. Anyone have an experiences they would like to share?

Thanks

George Z 11-14-2004 06:18 PM

Re: Air Dock

For the money I think it does a good job. I just bought one in July . Installation was a little tough. Had to figure how much air to but in it to drive the boat on. And I just took it out of the water the other day and it was easy to take out. If you use it in salt water you have to paint the bottom of it .

Stormrider 11-14-2004 06:46 PM

I've used mine for one season.
I like it alot and the $$ is right.
If you do buy it, I can give you some pointers on putting it together.
I have a D-2 w/ 1/2 frame. Customer service is great.

Its easy to use... all my neighbors at the marina are amazed at how
easy it is for me to dock. Just drive right on and it catches you. :D

NJgr8ful 11-14-2004 07:37 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I bought one in July too. Overall love it vs. alternatives and cost factor. Mine was already put together when I picked it up, in 2 pieces, center ribs already installed. Took some time, as George Z said, to get it 'right'. I ended up with a full frame PVC ($90??? I think) to keep it centered upon approach. But I am docking at a bulkheaded waterfront vs. slip with 4 point piling to tie off of. A little trickyer my way.

But I'll tell ya, it gets the entire hull and outdrives completely hi and dry! :) I purchased my boat this past season and being unfamiliar with it, not wanting to paint the bottom (NJ), and traveling away from home for days at a time, I wanted the piece of mind to know it was safe and sound. This provided exactly what I needed. 2 other neighbors have since bought AirDocks since mine showed up, both are also very happy.

Only thing I did wrong is I did NOT paint the bottom :eek: :eek: :mad: :hothead: WOW what a %^$%$^$ mess! It is completely barnacle free now and sitting in yard waiting for a spring paint job now. Beats painting the boat though.

If you need help or want to discuss give me a call anytime 248Fourwinns.

Best Regards,
Chris

NJgr8ful 11-14-2004 07:41 PM

3 Attachment(s)
O Yeah 732-300-5222 anytime 248 ;)

Here's 3 more ... mine is the largest class 'D' size.

NJgr8ful 11-14-2004 07:56 PM

Forgot to mention the ease with electric hook up too. Only need 110 standard outlet to set up and operate the blower. (as you can see in the pics the spool of orange extension cord :D ) I'd guess it takes like 6-8 minutes to fully get boat up and out. And when ready to lower it just open the valves and let it start to deflate. As soon as drives hit the water, fire her up, let it warm up a couple minutes and she's floating 'off' the pillows and ready to roll.

Very easy, not time consuming whatsoever. I'm usually washing down the boat while it rising up anyway. And ,,, the blower does not stay 'on' the entire time the boat is raised either, this is something I was wondering about. Once it's up you just close off the valves to lock the bladders full of air and that's it, wake up the next morning and she's still exactly the same height! ((Man, I should start selling these things! :D :D ))

Enjoy

248Fourwinns 11-14-2004 08:32 PM

It's great to see so many great comments on the Air Dock!

Thank you very much! I am sold! :)

You guys should all sell these things!

I am going to order the D-2 model (handles up to 8000 lbs) for my 25 foot boat - just in case I should want to go larger.

How is the airdock as far as stability? Can you board the boat while it is in the raised position? Or, do you need to lower it first?

Thanks everyone!

NJgr8ful 11-14-2004 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by 248Fourwinns
How is the airdock as far as stability? Can you board the boat while it is in the raised position? Or, do you need to lower it first?

Thanks everyone!

No prob at all ... no need to lower the thing for boarding. I'm 250lbs, give or take 5 or 10lbs :eek: :eek: :D and I 'jump' on and off the boat without any issue. Think about it ... our body weights really don't add much to the total weight (well except maybe in my case lol :D ) and it does not throw off balance or anything either. I do have the biggest model though ... my thinking was not for upgrading to a bigger boat someday .. but more like, how big I might 'upgrade' to!! :D

Here's Johnny 11-15-2004 04:30 AM

I might be interested in this too...how much $$ do they go for??

Stormrider 11-15-2004 07:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
You can walk on it while it is partially inflated, its like walking on a trampoline.
I bottom painted mine, and thinking of leaving it in the water for the winter... I'll call Airdock on that one.
My D-2 w/ 1/2 frame was about 3400.
They are coming out w/ a computer retrofit to sense a loss of air pressure, from a leak if it occurs. The computer will automatically reinflate constantly so it wont deflate.

Also, I've got a dark stain on the bottom of my hull. I'm not sure if it came from the water or from the airdock. My boat is a 95 and the gelcoat on the bottom could be very pourous. Anyone else find this?
Also, when the boat is on the dock, you cannot clean the bottom of the boat, as you could with other bunk type lifts.

Airdock is great for docks w/ little depth at low tide.
Johnny, if you'd like to see mine let me know... its still in H2O.