Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Let Me Tell You About My Stinkin Day!!!!!!!!! >

Let Me Tell You About My Stinkin Day!!!!!!!!!

Notices

Let Me Tell You About My Stinkin Day!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-15-2004, 07:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Let Me Tell You About My Stinkin Day!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
Did you run it with or without ear muffs?
What I meant by on the trailer was the boat was in the water at the launch, ont the trailer..
Old 11-15-2004, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by mcollinstn
Yeah, did you run it dry in the driveway?
That woulda killed the pump impeller.

Then you run it 40 minutes and it finally overheats.
Then it sounds like you ran it violently overheated until the oil film broke down and you spun a bearing out of the motor.

There may be more than a good chance that YOU trashed the boat.
Might have been in good condition before that series of events.

Maybe not, though. It is just a world of crap waiting to happen when an inexperienced boater is turned loose with hardware he is not familiar with.

If you believe there is a chance that you may have caused some of this trouble, I would lay low for a while.

I appreciate you concern for the owner but lets put some history on the paper in my background and their....

I have been experienced with boating for 15 years now..Both fishing and offshore for about 5 years. I am not by no means saying that I am the most intelligent one but nor am I the most ignorant.

I picked up the boat Sat. Morning and took it back to my place for a review of the boat. I found fluids low and grease fitting rusted. I found chocolate milk the tab drive pump. I replaced it. The battery level was low so I filled it. Some bolts were loose on the tabs , I tightened them. Saturday afternoon I took the the boat to the launch and ran the motor for about 30 minutes in the water. I ran down the canal for about 10 minutes only because it was getting dark and there are no functional lights on the boat. Sunday morning I had a very knowledgeable boater go with we Sunday morning and he checked all of the fluids and pre checks before we left.

So we leave the launch after the engines warmed up. They stayed at about 175 degrees. At the time of our problems thats when we lost 1000 rpms and the temp went to 200 and we shut it down.. Through out the run we were mostly around 4200-4500 rpm to see what the handeling was like and how it came out of the hole. We cruised around 45 mph gps and just felt the boat out.. We never made it to Ponchartrain's were the chops would have had 3-4s out there. We were in 1-2s....

Now for the boats history,

Been to several Emerald Poker-Runs for a week at a time

no inner cooler, engine set up for a year and was not flushed

Electrical problems

Bad Gimbel when I got it- why wasn't this maintained

Was known for jumping waves at Emerald

There was even other people who know him said he never let off the throttle... Hence load , rpm, load , rpm...

I also found out that this boat may have warped a head on the same side I heard the rod about 1 year ago. He supposedly fixed it. This maintenance is assumed since there was no grease in the fittings?? go figure

fluids low and mixed

maintenance hardware missing or loose

bilge pump inoperable..probably from the saltwater.....

I think thats enough for now...

All I was getting at, was that I know deep down I did nothing wrong..

.[/QUOTE]If you believe there is a chance that you may have caused some of this trouble, I would lay low for a while.[/QUOTE]

How can you when many knows who you are... Besides thats the good thing, The would be they in my defense knowing I did nothing in harm to their boat...

Final word, if there is something I did physically to the boat, LET IT BE KNOWN I dont have a problem paying for..

Ps. forgive me for the misssspellled words,,, dont have time to check..

Last edited by mobilecal; 11-15-2004 at 08:15 AM.
Old 11-15-2004, 08:55 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mobilecal
I appreciate you concern for the owner but lets put some history on the paper in my background and their....

I have been experienced with boating for 15 years now..Both fishing and offshore for about 5 years. I am not by no means saying that I am the most intelligent one but nor am I the most ignorant.

I picked up the boat Sat. Morning and took it back to my place for a review of the boat. I found fluids low and grease fitting rusted. I found chocolate milk the tab drive pump. I replaced it. The battery level was low so I filled it. Some bolts were loose on the tabs , I tightened them. Saturday afternoon I took the the boat to the launch and ran the motor for about 30 minutes in the water. I ran down the canal for about 10 minutes only because it was getting dark and there are no functional lights on the boat. Sunday morning I had a very knowledgeable boater go with we Sunday morning and he checked all of the fluids and pre checks before we left.

So we leave the launch after the engines warmed up. They stayed at about 175 degrees. At the time of our problems thats when we lost 1000 rpms and the temp went to 200 and we shut it down.. Through out the run we were mostly around 4200-4500 rpm to see what the handeling was like and how it came out of the hole. We cruised around 45 mph gps and just felt the boat out.. We never made it to Ponchartrain's were the chops would have had 3-4s out there. We were in 1-2s....

Now for the boats history,

Been to several Emerald Poker-Runs for a week at a time

no inner cooler, engine set up for a year and was not flushed

Electrical problems

Bad Gimbel when I got it- why wasn't this maintained

Was known for jumping waves at Emerald

There was even other people who know him said he never let off the throttle... Hence load , rpm, load , rpm...

I also found out that this boat may have warped a head on the same side I heard the rod about 1 year ago. He supposedly fixed it. This maintenance is assumed since there was no grease in the fittings?? go figure

fluids low and mixed

maintenance hardware missing or loose

bilge pump inoperable..probably from the saltwater.....

I think thats enough for now...

All I was getting at, was that I know deep down I did nothing wrong..

If you believe there is a chance that you may have caused some of this trouble, I would lay low for a while.[/QUOTE]

How can you when many knows who you are... Besides thats the good thing, The would be they in my defense knowing I did nothing in harm to their boat...

Final word, if there is something I did physically to the boat, LET IT BE KNOWN I dont have a problem paying for..

Ps. forgive me for the misssspellled words,,, dont have time to check..[/QUOTE]

Knowing all this now (how it was taken care of) I just gotta ask.........why the hell are you even interested in it???

Last edited by Playn; 11-15-2004 at 08:57 AM.
Old 11-15-2004, 09:50 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Playn
Knowing all this now (how it was taken care of) I just gotta ask.........why the hell are you even interested in it???
My thoughts exactly.
Old 11-15-2004, 10:53 AM
Registered

Received 89 Likes on 18 Posts

Sorry to hear about your day from hell. Remember this saying... A bad day of boating is better than a good day at work. Not sure if this qualifies for that statement but did you have a cooler full of cold beer at least? When I lost a motor, I got real drunk on the 2 1/2 hour tow in. I wonder if I could have gotten a BWI for that? The keys weren't in the ignition.

This thing does sound like a basket case... with a running motor. My question is..... Is the seller going to hold you responsible for any engine damage? If it was hot and losing RPM's, it sounds like it was real HOT.

I for one would never test drive without the seller on-board, nor would I let a prospective buyer test drive without me on-board.

Last edited by Shah Mat; 11-15-2004 at 11:01 AM.
Old 11-15-2004, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Shah Mat
Sorry to hear about your day from hell. Remember this saying... A bad day of boating is better than a good day at work. Not sure if this qualifies for that statement but did you have a cooler full of cold beer at least? When I lost a motor, I got real drunk on the 2 1/2 hour tow in. I wonder if I could have gotten a BWI for that? The keys weren't in the ignition.

This thing does sound like a basket case... with a running motor. My question is..... Is the seller going to hold you responsible for any engine damage? If it was hot and losing RPM's, it sounds like it was real HOT.

I for one would never test drive without the seller on-board, nor would I let a prospective buyer test drive without me on-board.

Nope no beer, was planning on only being out for an hour.....

I had the wifes permission

She knew there were a few things wrong but not many.

The only reason I was concidering the boat was to get into a 25 for cheap but to overhaul the boat like new....

Alot of the conditions of the boat as far as history was not found out until we were stranded in the water......

But there were some obvious signs but I did not know they were that bad...

For 25k I could have had a new motor and floated inexspensively...

I guess everyone learns their leason one way or the other.....

I spoke to the owner today and she will let me know further details in a couple of hours... Will let you know later.
Old 11-15-2004, 12:14 PM

oh and the hottest it ever got according to the gauges was 200 degrees
Old 11-15-2004, 02:19 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

just my .02...makes sense to spend a little more on something with "NO ISSUES" especially knowing how the boat was apparently mistreated. in order for me to purchase a basket case like that would have to be practically for free. sometimes even the best sounding deals arent worth it. as far as loosing the motor thats the other reason i opt's for twins...nothing like piece of mind. mines is still available to by the way...no disappointments i guarantee you.
Old 11-15-2004, 03:43 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Let me get this straight.

The Baja overheated?

The Active through a rod?

The Baja through a rod?

The Baja sunk from the driveshaft bellows?

The Active sunk?

Welcome to the wonderful world of performance boating!
Might I make a suggestion?.............canoes
Old 11-15-2004, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
Might I make a suggestion?.............canoes
Got one on order.....Maybe put some flames on it....

I heard they dont sink......

Quick Reply: Let Me Tell You About My Stinkin Day!!!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.