Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Got gas....just enough to get home! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/90501-got-gas-just-enough-get-home.html)

spitfire1 11-16-2004 02:26 PM

Re: Got gas....just enough to get home!

Why??? It is my understanding that unless you are running high compression and retard the timing sufficiently....you will not be able to take advantage of the higher octane......I thought that Speed racer was normally aspirated.....am I mistaken Chad???

spitfire1 11-16-2004 04:59 PM

Oh......Ok......thanx..... :drink:

Audiofn 11-16-2004 05:00 PM

Holly crap man I think I would have run it back on one motor!!!!

Remember as Tank always said "BIG PIMPIN AINT EASY" :D:D

Jon

BajaFresh 11-16-2004 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
Al....how the heck do you put gas in the boat in the morning and get towed in afternoon? Did you guys put in $10 or something? :D :D :D :D

Nort, I told Lindy he was gonna have to catch a load of crap for this! :D

He said it was almost full when we left MDR and had a half when we left Catalina. He was watching the gauge go down and thought he could make it. I guess it didn't occur to him that you use less fuel if you're not going 90! :eek: :D

jawbreakerkid 11-17-2004 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Spitfire1
Why??? It is my understanding that unless you are running high compression and retard the timing sufficiently....you will not be able to take advantage of the higher octane......I thought that Speed racer was normally aspirated.....am I mistaken Chad???

yes, it had 1071's sitting on top. i normally ran 93 or 100 in it. the main reason i filled up w/ 116 that weekend, was because i filled up the weekend before w/ 93, but i don't think it was 93. i think 87 was mistakenly put into the 93 holding tank at the dock. :mad:

chad

Reed Jensen 11-17-2004 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Spitfire1

I think you meant to say "advance" the timing... The higher the octane .. the slower burning.. hence... you need more advance ... :D

spitfire1 11-17-2004 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Reed Jensen
I think you meant to say "advance" the timing... The higher the octane .. the slower burning.. hence... you need more advance ... :D

Yep....you are exactly right....the slower burning fuel allows more advance to take advantage of the better detonation qualities of the higher octane.....thanx for that clarification.....I think thats right...... :drink:

cuda 11-17-2004 11:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
I don't have six boats like Cuda has! (an none of them with a Bimini) :D

Come on now Norty, let's be factual. I do have a bimini on one of the boats, the kind of boat that biminis are made for, FISHBOATS! :D

cuda 11-17-2004 11:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
And the youngest boat in the fleet is a 1986. :p

kcgbjc 11-17-2004 12:35 PM

Glad ya didn't run out, ya poodle.