Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Some advise please on new boat purchase.. (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/90640-some-advise-please-new-boat-purchase.html)

Floater 11-17-2004 06:28 PM

Re: Some advise please on new boat purchase..

I've heard all good stuff about Sunsation. Anyone know approx. speed for the Sunsation 32 with 6.2's or the 496 HO's?

Jamie B. 11-17-2004 08:55 PM

The Sunsation is light.

Rippem 11-17-2004 09:14 PM

The Sunsation is small. Your Formula salesman is an idiot for more than one reason. :rolleyes: The 353 has no bad habits at all. I've got to work pretty hard to make mine porpoise.

articfriends 11-17-2004 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Floater
I've heard all good stuff about Sunsation. Anyone know approx. speed for the Sunsation 32 with 6.2's or the 496 HO's?

I clocked one this summer at 72ish against my boat and gps this summer w/6.2's(owner claimed boat would run 80),Smitty

Chuck 11-18-2004 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by Floater

My friends will run a legit upper 70's real close to 80. Hee doesn't have a gps speedo, but I have run side by side with him in this range.

BillR 11-18-2004 06:52 AM

What you are describimg is a PowerQuest.
Go look at thier 30 & 34' models.
I am sure you'll be quite happy with what you see.
They make a damn good boat.

super termoli 11-18-2004 07:27 AM

the most important part of the equation is missing... what sort of money are you looking to spend?

secondly, what sort of speed are we talking about? because i've had people saying that they didn't want "the fastest boat in the world" and then reject anything less than 100 mph.

Gary C 11-18-2004 07:39 AM

I agree with Powerquest. I'm thinking the 34 Vyper would be the boat. You can get it with a windshield. Great support and build quality. I own a little one:)

Shanghied Again 11-18-2004 07:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Donzi has a new 35ZR 496 power runs 84mph, Or a leftover 33ZX all the amenties 74mph 496 power

mcollinstn 11-18-2004 08:25 AM

Yeah, what's your budget? What is your speed goal?

The Cobalt is a typical Cobalt, except it is faster than any previous Cobalt. Exhibits no bad habits even with a clueless driver.

The FasTechs I've driven could ALL be MADE to porpoise, but I agree that the boat you were testing was not trimmed properly (or even CLOSE to properly) and further agree that they need very little trim in the normal range of operation. Some people are afraid to use the tabs, but that is what they are for. Neutral tabs (not UP, and not down) is where they need to start out and tweak from there.

Formula, a windshielded Donzi, Cobalt, those all sound like what you are looking for.

A ventilated hull having inherent instability? Not a FasTech. Not a Donzi ZR. That's BS unless that individual hull has something wrong with it.