Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Some advise please on new boat purchase.. >

Some advise please on new boat purchase..

Notices

Some advise please on new boat purchase..

Old 11-17-2004, 12:36 PM
allroad

Default Some advise please on new boat purchase..

I am considering the purchase of a new go fast. Here is my wish list: 30-32 hull length (not including swim plat), No porposing, keel sway or chine walking, 496 Merc power,
gentleman's boat - with windshield, some amenities (encl head) but no a/c, superior build quality and fit/finish, terrific factory support. I don't need the fastest boat on the planet and it must be a v bottom, 8ft beam. Formula was leading the pack but I test drove 2 Fastech hulls (31/35) and they both porpoised. Sonic 31 has no windshield (has a fairing) and no local deal support (NY Metro). Suggestions please.

Old 11-17-2004, 12:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Some advise please on new boat purchase..

Contact Sunsation. They are running a special right now on their new 32 Dominator with 6.2's for 99,999. Upgrade to 496HO's for about 16K....116K for a new 32, seems very reasonable to me. I'm in the market for this same size boat so I'll be interested in seeing the results. Good luck in your search.
Dave
Old 11-17-2004, 12:50 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by allroad
I am considering the purchase of a new go fast. Here is my wish list: 30-32 hull length (not including swim plat), No porposing, keel sway or chine walking, 496 Merc power,
gentleman's boat - with windshield, some amenities (encl head) but no a/c, superior build quality and fit/finish, terrific factory support. I don't need the fastest boat on the planet and it must be a v bottom, 8ft beam. Formula was leading the pack but I test drove 2 Fastech hulls (31/35) and they both porpoised. Sonic 31 has no windshield (has a fairing) and no local deal support (NY Metro). Suggestions please.
Just curious about your previous experience with other boats. What have you liked in the past?

You can make boats porpoise, and you can correct porpoise with correct drive trim to trim tab balance. Usually you can get away with a conflicting tab to drive setting when it's kind of choppy, but when you hit a calm spot it will start to bounce.

My point is not to tell you how to run a boat, but to say it's a coincidence that both of those Formulas happened to porpoise.... and to suggest that if it's even a remote possibilty that you didn't have enough seat time to get things balanced out during the test ride. I mean because every boat is different, not because you don't know what you're doing.

I don't want you to pass up a boat that would otherwise work fine, if the porpoising is really just a trimming out tweak.

Just my .02 because I had some porpoising with my 26 until I learned what combinations made it worse or better. I used to say my boat porpoised. Now I say that I was the one porpoising. The boat stopped doing it after my learning curve with that particular vessel improved.

I would happily trade my 26 for either Formula (31 or 35)
Old 11-17-2004, 12:55 PM
www.sunriseuph.com
Platinum Member

If you're not looking for new, try a 31' Cig Bullet. You wont' be disappointed in the ride.

John
www.sunriseuph.com
Old 11-17-2004, 12:55 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I am considering the purchase of a new go fast. Here is my wish list: 30-32 hull length, gentleman's boat - with windshield, some amenities (encl head).
All I can think of is Formula.
You could always look at sunseeker or Cobalt.
Old 11-17-2004, 01:13 PM
allroad

I had a 31 Scarab Viper with 365's that did not exhibit any porpoise, chine walk or keel sway. No matter what I did with trim and tabs, I couldn't get that boat to exhibit any bad handling characteristics. I've had plenty of seat time driving these boats..The dealer claimed the porpoise was due to an imbalance inherent to any ventilated/stepped bottom
design.

Old 11-17-2004, 01:25 PM
Registered

I have also looked at the Formulas but have not had the opportunity to drive any of the FasTechs. I assumed you are looking at new boats and not used? I have a short list of boats I am interested in based on the $$ and both Formula and Sunsation are on my list.
Old 11-17-2004, 01:28 PM
Registered

I had a 31 Scarab Viper with 365's that did not exhibit any porpoise, chine walk or keel sway. No matter what I did with trim and tabs, I couldn't get that boat to exhibit any bad handling characteristics. I've had plenty of seat time driving these boats..The dealer claimed the porpoise was due to an imbalance inherent to any ventilated/stepped bottom
design.
No wonder the dealer didn't close the sale.
Old 11-17-2004, 01:32 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Allroad, had a 98 Formula 312 w/ 502's and it liked to "bounce" at mild cruising speeds. It liked to run fast. Have a buddy that had a 99 312 w/ 454's and he experienced the same thing. I had a 2000 353 w/ 500's and it ran great. Have talked w/ other 312 owners and they also thought that the 312 was not one of Formula's best efforts. Probably why they don't make this model anymore. Good luck, Wrink
Old 11-17-2004, 01:46 PM
Registered

Check out 320 Velocity, I hadd two of these with 496 HO's ran mid 80's pretty muck rock solid no step very stable great quality

Quick Reply: Some advise please on new boat purchase..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.