Notices

Selling a Boat Lift . . .

Old 11-21-2004, 08:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Selling a Boat Lift . . .

Having checked OSO Classifieds, Ebay, and TraderOnline - there does not appear to be a good market ( based on ads posted ) for SELLING a boat lift.

Any ideas ? ? ? .. . . .
Old 11-21-2004, 08:22 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Selling a Boat Lift . . .

Possibly the cost and time of relocating it vs. buying new or local? These critters are harder to move than a boat. I bought mine new, unassebled, cash and carry and did the assemble and install myself. It would had to be CHEAP for me to have even considered traveling any distance for one. Just my thoughts. Consignment thru a local lift dealer?
Did you sell your boat ?
Good luck
Old 11-22-2004, 06:01 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

US 1 Fountain makes good points. Used ones usually have to be dis assembled to transport. The tanks are also vulnerable to abuse. I found a used 12000# Hydro-Hoist in Powerboat. I had it broken down,trucked 500 miles from Cape Cod, reassembled and craned in the water. Lot of grief, but quite a bit cheaper than new. I then rengineered the rear crossmember bunk area to better fit my step bottom boat and to lower the bunks to better deal with low water conditions. Lots of work,but worth it. You might want to put up a flier at your local Marinas if you're not in a hurry and/or put an ad in your local paper,swap sheet papers. Word of mouth couldn't hurt. Boating store next to my marina had one smaller than mine and couldn't get rid of it. I think he finally sold it for a $1000! Moving them around scares off a lot of people. A friend found one a mile from his house for his 35 Fountain through word of mouth.For what it's worth. Lou
Old 11-22-2004, 10:25 AM
artselectricinc.com
Platinum Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I would try to sell it locally. Local paper or whatever. They are usually tough to transport any distance. I have done it with a 12,000 lb hoist, it was a royal pain in the arse. Just sold it to a guy two rows up from me, because it won't lift my new boat. He scored, just un hooked it from my house and tied in his!

Steve H
Old 11-22-2004, 12:03 PM
Registered

Thanks for the replies. . . local advertising seems like the way to go.

I haven't sold my boat. I advertised it for a month, but was never really very motivated. I think I was just kinda testing the waters. I'm still using it all the time.
. . . my dock just got jacked from $350 to $400/mo., and I'm pissed-off and pouting about it right now. Don't know if I'll actually do anything about it or not. . . . Hell, I can walk out my front door and onto my boat in five minutes. It's pretty damn convenient.