diDiesel Trucks under $17,000

Old 11-21-2004, 05:46 PM
Charter Member#157
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default diDiesel Trucks under $17,000

What can I buy at this price?
what should I NOT buy at this price?
Does not have to be a 1 ton, 3/4 would be OK for my boat.
Would prefer SRW versus dually due to winters here in MN.
Old 11-21-2004, 09:23 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: diDiesel Trucks under $17,000

I frankly don't know much about the Ford's, so I won't comment on them. Dodge is a cheaply made truck. The use some outsourced components that are very good. The axels, manual transmissions and engines are amoung the best out there. The steering system that Chrysler designed absolutly sucks. It's terrible. Their automatic transmissions are problematic at best. Stick with the manuals for that reason. The Cummins engine is just awsome. That engine is the sole reason, I'd recommend the truck. I'd suggest a 96-98 (not 98.5) manual.

The late model GM's are a very nice truck. The Duramax is a superior engine to the old 6.5. The 6.2 before that sucked rocks. Gm has always used a good automatic behind their engines. The Duramax/Allison is no exception. Their manual is also a good choice. It's my personal feeling that there is no better interior designer on the market. Their bucket seats are very comfortable and the interior is well layed out. The older model also has a nice interior, but the Duramax is such a superior engine, that it's hard to look that far back.
Old 11-22-2004, 06:28 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I frankly don't know much about the Ford's, so I won't comment on them. Dodge is a cheaply made truck. The use some outsourced components that are very good. The axels, manual transmissions and engines are amoung the best out there. The steering system that Chrysler designed absolutly sucks. It's terrible. Their automatic transmissions are problematic at best. Stick with the manuals for that reason. The Cummins engine is just awsome. That engine is the sole reason, I'd recommend the truck. I'd suggest a 96-98 (not 98.5) manual.
I'd definitely recommend the Dodge. My experiences have been very different from Cord's though. My 1996 3/4 Dodge Cummins 2WD (automatic) has been almost flawless for 202k miles. Everything except the lift pump ($200) it's completely original. Body integrity is outstanding! No squeaks or rattles. Interior is like new. I service the tranny every 40k miles, it's clean as a whistle. Oil changes every 6k miles, doesn't burn a drop. AND it gets 21mpg.

In case you are wondering, my boat doesn't weigh much (7k on trailer), but I regularly tow a hay trailer and a BIG tractor.
Old 11-22-2004, 07:13 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by MnFastBoat
Does not have to be a 1 ton, 3/4 would be OK for my boat. Would prefer SRW versus dually due to winters here in MN.
Just a little info that I was not aware of until recently. I'm pretty sure the tow ratings are the same with the 3/4 and 1 tons, it's the payload that differs.
Old 11-22-2004, 07:19 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hugh stay away from the 99 F series if you can. They are the first model year of that truck and as you probably read mine was a tranny nightmare for a while. I was able to fix it and so far it has been fine but every time it shifts funny I worry..... Most of these problems were fixed in late 99 model trucks and certainly in the 2000's. You should be able to shop for a while and find a good truck for that kind of money.

Jon
Old 11-22-2004, 10:49 AM
Registered

The older Ford diesels all ran an E4OD for the auto. The ZF manual wasn't bad, but didn't hold up to lots of heavy towing. Really can't go wrong with the 7.3, even before it was the Powerstroke variety.

Dodge, again, tranny is the weak link when you start twisting more power out of the Cummins. Second problem is the truck itself, however, there are some out there that are still really nice tight trucks. Most however, aren't.

Chevy, 6.5 isn't a bad engine. I had one and racked up almost 250K miles on it. The 4L80E is a great tranny behind it too. Had 202K on mine before it was rebuilt. They're just not the fastest truck up the hill. I got very used to pulling hills with nominal weight on it at around 45-50 mph. But it ran great and still got 18 or so around town in a 3500 crew cab long bed 4x4.

Now I have 2 duramaxes and wouldn't even think about jumping into a different light diesel truck. My '02 has been flawless for almost 60K miles now. My '04 has almost 20K on it and just gets fuel and oil changes. I can say the same thing about my '02 and only add that it eats tires. Don't think the Edge and Attitude have anything to do with that part of it.
Old 11-22-2004, 01:59 PM
Warped & Twisted Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MnFastBoat
What can I buy at this price?
what should I NOT buy at this price?
Does not have to be a 1 ton, 3/4 would be OK for my boat.
Would prefer SRW versus dually due to winters here in MN.
Guys, he said 17,000 or under. You arent going to get a Duramax or a newer Powerstroke in that price range ( unless its really, really miley ). I will say a mid-90's Ram / Cummins. If you are wanting an automatic, add another external cooler and a trans temp gauge to it. If you ever have to replace the weak point automatic tranny, there are alot of choices / companies now for replacements that have better and beefier components inside them for hard(er) core towing and use.

Dont be afraid of buying one with 150,000 miles on it either. Here are a few sites if you want to look into the Ram / Cummins a bit more:

www.turbodieselregistry.com
www.dodgetalk.com
Old 11-22-2004, 05:02 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Biggest problem with ANY dodge 500/518/618 auto trans from 94-2000 was their STUPID antidrainback valve in cooler line that restricts cooler flow! At least 50% of all the chrysler rwd transmissions i rebuild fail because of this. They are a good trans once they are rebuilt and upgraded and can be built to withstand a moderate amount of power above stock. In a stock app if trans isn't damaged yet from abuse or cooler checkball restriction if you remove restriction,fill with synthetic oil the only real problem is with the 96 and newer electronics(governor sensor and transducer) that occasionally act up,Smitty
Old 11-22-2004, 06:59 PM
CMG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by articfriends
Biggest problem with ANY dodge 500/518/618 auto trans from 94-2000 was their STUPID antidrainback valve in cooler line that restricts cooler flow! At least 50% of all the chrysler rwd transmissions i rebuild fail because of this. They are a good trans once they are rebuilt and upgraded and can be built to withstand a moderate amount of power above stock. In a stock app if trans isn't damaged yet from abuse or cooler checkball restriction if you remove restriction,fill with synthetic oil the only real problem is with the 96 and newer electronics(governor sensor and transducer) that occasionally act up,Smitty

A-F, sounds you know your crap about trannies (no - not the boy/girl type!) what are your thought on the chips for 5.4 Fords? I have a 2003, do they wear out the trans faster? I'd ike better shifting but not at cost of longevity. sorry to hi-jack thread
Old 11-22-2004, 08:46 PM
Registered

look into the new or slightly owned ford 6.1 have 2003 f 550 never had anything new before got myself a 40th birthday present always had chevys for 15 years work them hard but i think times have changed a little very happy with the power of this in snowplowing and hauling but chevy also got threw 38 inch blizzard of 96