Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Key West World Championships end with a bang (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/90940-key-west-world-championships-end-bang.html)

CAP071 11-22-2004 08:35 PM

Key West World Championships end with a bang

Key West World Championships end with a bang
BY DANNY ALLER

Citizen Staff

KEY WEST — For the nearly 100 powerboat racers from all across the globe that attended the 2004 Key West World Championships, last Sunday was the day when most rolled into town with a bang.

And as the last racer came in late Sunday afternoon, everyone still seemed to be feeling as if that 'bang' only was the beginning.

"What a success," said Bill Spottswood, president of the local Conch Republic organization that oversaw the races, along with, for the first time in more than a decade, all three major racing bodies — the American Power Boat Association, the Offshore Racing Series and Super Boat International.

"I'm so proud of how everyone came together, the APBA, OSS AND SBI, I can't even see straight right now. From those guys, to my guys at the Conch Republic to the people in the community, this was a team effort and right now I couldn't be happier with how things went."

Spottswood wasn't alone in his praise of the races. First-year APBA president Jim Poplin was so impressed, he's already gearing up for next year.

"When the Conch Republic invited us to attend this year's World Championships, we told them we would be thrilled to participate," Poplin said. "The professional manner in which they were able to bring all three racing organizations together, and the way they maintained that level throughout the week with very few hang-ups, makes me really excited about coming back next year, and every year after that."

Elaine Motl, the CEO of OSS, whose racing body was competing in the Key West Worlds for the first time with the other two racing groups, said that while there will be things that everyone will have to sit down and discuss in the next few months on how to make next year's race even better, all in all, she gave Key West, racing fans and the Conch Republic, two thumbs up.

"We think the event went very, very well, especially since all the racers returned to the harbor safe, and with smiles on their faces," Motl said. "We've always felt Key West was one of the best places in the entire world to race, and I think that was proven this week."

[email protected]

Wasabe 11-22-2004 08:47 PM

Re: Key West World Championships end with a bang

Cool.

CAP071 11-22-2004 09:01 PM

We should all E-mail him and tell him what a great time we had in KW with the races this year :D

CAP071 11-22-2004 09:07 PM

http://keysnews.com/281972982074410.bsp.htm

WILDTHING TAZ 11-28-2004 08:43 AM

I Would Like To Thank The Conch For Letting The Med Boats Load & Tie Up Between Races. The Galleon Would Not Let The Med Boats Tie Off Between Races. They Said It Was Privete Property. I Think Someone Should Talk To Them. This Kind Of Attitude Will Not Get Them Any Where Good. It Was The Girl On The Docks Who Told Us This. Not Management.

CAP071 11-28-2004 08:45 AM

I seen a woman on the docks there when the Poker run boats were coming in Flipping out. But I think she actually ran the poker run?

Madcow 11-28-2004 08:46 AM

I don't know if anyone asked this yet or not, but wiht all the new construction at the navy base, what are they planing on doing with it? And will it be made available to us next year?

MarkSmith 11-28-2004 11:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This could spread out the boat ramp launching and the cranes launches. That was the only problem I saw. Good point Mad Cow.

Do you know anyone in the picture?

Mark Smith

bojoe2 11-28-2004 12:06 PM

:d :d

Madcow 11-28-2004 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Smith

Do you know anyone in the picture?

Mark Smith

None that I'll admit to. :D