Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Is it worth it to go over to the dark side? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/91176-worth-go-over-dark-side.html)

Interceptor 11-26-2004 04:56 PM

Re: Is it worth it to go over to the dark side?

Mike,
I had twin Evinrudes outboards on my previous boat and loved them. But consider this :
1. There isn't one good (just good , not real good ) place to get a outboard worked on in our area. I did all my work short of complete rebuilds. Most of the places are working on 5-9 H.P, trolling motors for walleye fishermen. The bassboat crowd go to their off lake dealers for service but most of those dealers are small and cannot facilitate a 30 plus foot boat.
2. Resale absolutly SUCKS in our area. I towed mine to Florida and got an acceptable price for it there.
3. Factor in the cost of two stroke oil when you do your fuel costs. It does get expensive and is seldom mentioned.

An Intrepid with triple Hondas would also be a nice sport/family runner with OB's.

ed

Whirlygig 11-27-2004 09:43 AM

BG111,

Thanx, Anvil comment was taken as an anchor substitute. I am not very familiar with reliability and benefits of the current models out there. i.e. 2.4's, 2.5's carbed or FI, 300 Pro max and the new 300's.

If someone could clarify the different models and benefits it would help for the uneggbeaterjucated.

Whirly

packinair 11-27-2004 12:33 PM

you need to go check out www.screamandfly.com ..it is nothing but outbaords

Whirlygig 11-27-2004 01:10 PM

Thanx packinair

martiniboat 11-28-2004 07:10 AM

Nice rig Packinair! :cool:

Jonas 12-03-2004 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by dockrocker
With two young'ns (one will be 3 and one 8 months when boating season hits) we're trying to balance "family" with "performance". Formula SS series are nice, but a little too cruiser, and the only ones in our price range are the 28' - I'd like something bigger. So... I'm thinking about a Concept or similar. Run 60+, big cockpit for the kids to run around in, enough cabin for them to take a nap (we *never* overnight), gas-and-go convenience (2 kids means *no* time to mess with the boat). One of my big concerns is wind protection up here in the land of 65 degree boating days, but maybe Leopajm will chime in with some first hand experiences... :)

Still just kicking the idea around, all the input is appreciated!

DONT USE KIDS FOR EXCUSE MAN....
i got 3 of em and it hasnt stoped us from sailing skiig racing bigblox outboards etc, its just fun let em grow up and learn its not allways taj ma hal

Edward R. Cozzi 12-04-2004 08:27 AM

Compression checks are SOOO much easier. (except Opti-max)

Tonto 12-04-2004 09:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
And if you're looking for a bigger boat than the CONCEPT, check out the HYDRA SPORTS 33 VECTOR. It has a cabin that you could stay on and plenty of room in the cockpit. Plantation BoatMart in Tavernier is THE place to get them.

Robert