Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
To trim the Tabs or Drives to run level, but free?? >

To trim the Tabs or Drives to run level, but free??

Notices

To trim the Tabs or Drives to run level, but free??

Old 11-30-2004, 01:01 PM
Registered

Received 3,018 Likes on 987 Posts
Default Re: To trim the Tabs or Drives to run level, but free??

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
Ok, going to show a little ignorance here.

Is running "with the sea" and "quartering" ocean water related terms, or just a generic term in regards to the direction of water flow? Also, rollers are non existant on my playground as they are somewhat small lakes, with Lake Cumberland being the largest.
I'm "guessing" Cumberland could be compared to Havasu or Loto for water conditions?? Just for the sake of my use.

Thanks

I run in lake and ocean. If you are talking "Washing machine" water you are talking about is also called 'confused water'. No swell just chop. I assume on a big lake like LOTO or Cumberland the holes in between can get pretty big and you can air out nicely but hard to predict like an ocean swell.

The terms "Running with the swell" and "Quartering" are ocean terms used by pretty much all boaters i.e. power, sail, ship, etc. Running against would be directly into the swell, running with would be just that; running down the swell. Quartering would be with or against the swell running on an angle to you either coming or going. When you are quartering your skills on tabs come to life. One tab down one up, one drive in a bit more than the other it all makes you fly level in a quarering sea.

The worst of the worst is 6-8 swells with confused seas....NASTY. Gets like that here in between the islands on a regular basis.
Old 11-30-2004, 05:19 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

TANK, Thanks for the 'term' explinations.

Canda Jeff,
'99 32' Fountain, used on small inland lakes. Because always been told Fountains ain't no ocean boat

It's not so much as what settings should be for max speed and best ride, but more of what factor determines whether I bump my tabs or the drives.

Thanks all
Old 12-01-2004, 06:34 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I were you I'd ask a more specific question in the Fountain section. Becuase there are so many Fountains out there, there are many owners who have learned how the run best! Give them you power, props, and year, and some one will have the same boat, that has your answers!

Oh, I have a buddy with one that has twin 502 MPI's. Man does that thing nose up when getting on plane!!!! But he nevers touches the tabs i don't think.
Old 12-01-2004, 07:23 AM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thisistank
I run in lake and ocean. If you are talking "Washing machine" water you are talking about is also called 'confused water'. No swell just chop. I assume on a big lake like LOTO or Cumberland the holes in between can get pretty big and you can air out nicely but hard to predict like an ocean swell.

The terms "Running with the swell" and "Quartering" are ocean terms used by pretty much all boaters i.e. power, sail, ship, etc. Running against would be directly into the swell, running with would be just that; running down the swell. Quartering would be with or against the swell running on an angle to you either coming or going. When you are quartering your skills on tabs come to life. One tab down one up, one drive in a bit more than the other it all makes you fly level in a quarering sea.

The worst of the worst is 6-8 swells with confused seas....NASTY. Gets like that here in between the islands on a regular basis.

I think 3-5' confused with rogue rollers is a blast to drive in, makes you pay attention and is more rewarding, IMHO, than running on some pool table smooth glass lake. I look forward to july 4th weekend, there is holes out there that just swallow boats!!! I just shake my head when i see people just sitting in that stuff waiting to get swamped.