Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Reasons...I'll give ya reasons (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/91423-reasons-ill-give-ya-reasons.html)

Top Banana 11-30-2004 08:23 AM

Reasons...I'll give ya reasons

Last week in one of the threads about the original Cigarette race boat, I posted a comment that Brownie was one of my heros from the 60's......well, a lot of my friends have been busting me up about that comment, so here are some reasons for ya.

In the 60's I was a poor college student in Florida. I was lucky enough to have a roomate that was into boat racing. His dad was good friends with Mike Gordon and we were down there all the time helping him with his Fish Peddler.

So, I got to meet a lot of these characters. In those days, a guy like Brownie not only drove and throttled the boat, but he engineered and built it too. He had an idea once that everyone didn't agree with. He built a boat with twin engines running one shaft. He used a v-drive with one engine ahead of it and the other behind it and figured out how to make them work together.

Did it work? Oh yeah it did................. and he won a little race called the Miami Nassau. A lot different from off the shelf stuff that I did later on. Those guys from that era were tough but they were also smart too.

Edward R. Cozzi 11-30-2004 08:39 AM

Re: Reasons...I'll give ya reasons

When I die I want to come back as Brownie!
Ed

Steve_H 11-30-2004 06:38 PM

TTT

i love hearing this stuff

Donzi Corleone 11-30-2004 08:43 PM

He is an icon from the Arronow Thunder boat row era...Hell, he worked right along side of that man so need we say more.

Chatim Racing 11-30-2004 09:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
...and here's Brownie testing yet another legendary boat

tiufb 12-01-2004 06:57 AM

How 'bout Knocky House? Might be a good topic for a thread..... little know heros.

__________________________________________________ _____
Why be half assed, when you can be all ass.

madbouyz 12-01-2004 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by Top Banana
Brownie not only drove and throttled the boat, but he engineered and built it too. He had an idea once that everyone didn't agree with. He built a boat with twin engines running one shaft. He used a v-drive with one engine ahead of it and the other behind it and figured out how to make them work together.

I remember that in the early days Cary Marine made a 27 (or was it a 29) that had two 427 Daytonas hooked up in tandem... was that Brownie's idea that you talk of ? ?

I agree .. Brownie should write a book ..... especially after fielding a few million questions from us :D

S

Doller Offshore 12-01-2004 11:08 AM

Brownie has passed on but I am sure he is smiling from above.

Ike 12-01-2004 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Doller Offshore
Brownie has passed on but I am sure he is smiling from above.

Is that true about Brownie? I sure hope not.

BROWNIE 12-01-2004 11:23 AM

Holy Chit! I didn't realize I was dead!