Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   First Trident Boat Popped From the Mold Today (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/91713-first-trident-boat-popped-mold-today.html)

Steamin Rice 12-05-2004 10:20 AM

Re: First Trident Boat Popped From the Mold Today

Info,

Looking good so far, I have been watching this project for a while now...

When is Wes going to join over here and start posting?? I would think that a lot of people on this site would be interested in the build process..

Infomaniac 12-05-2004 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Steamin' Rice
Info,

Looking good so far, I have been watching this project for a while now...

When is Wes going to join over here and start posting?? I would think that a lot of people on this site would be interested in the build process..

Wes does not feel it appropriate to join up and start introducing his product. That is not cool. That is understandable. He was not aware how large and powerful this site was until I told him the other day. :drink:

I would guess after the ball is rolling faster he will do just that. He would definately do a much better job of explaining. I think he is pretty busy about now.

I volunteered the information on my own. I am excited about it.

The members here are well educated in boat building and boat manufacturers as I found out by opening up my mouth and putting in both feet. :rolleyes: No problem, I have thick skin and will admit when I am mistaken or wrong. :sorry: :sorry:

Anyone care to talk engines? :D

TopSpin80 12-05-2004 10:38 AM

I just watched the video...
This thing is unbelievable.... if you haven't seen it the download is well worth the wait... even if you are on dial up...

I'm not on dail up by the way :D

Wow that is cool..... I can't wait to see it done on a high performance boat... I know their boat is a family boat... but with a that technology a performance boat could be pretty cool..... but as you get stronger like that... you also get stiffer... and without any flex.... there could be catastrophic failure at the speeds I would want to achieve :D

Ernie

Steamin Rice 12-05-2004 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Infomaniac
Wes does not feel it appropriate to join up and start introducing his product. That is not cool. That is understandable. He was not aware how large and powerful this site was until I told him the other day. :drink:

I would guess after the ball is rolling faster he will do just that. He would definately do a much better job of explaining. I think he is pretty busy about now.

I volunteered the information on my own. I am excited about it.

The members here are well educated in boat building and boat manufacturers as I found out by opening up my mouth and putting in both feet. :rolleyes: No problem, I have thick skin and will admit when I am mistaken or wrong. :sorry: :sorry:

Anyone care to talk engines? :D

I think it would be a good addition.. Most of the people on this forum aren't familiar with the west coast builders except for a few of the bigger ones.

I'm sure Wes will have his hands full until #1 is rigged and in the water, maybe after he gets some time on #1 he will join here and post some updates....

glassdave 12-05-2004 03:43 PM

just got watching the video. great stuff and i am looking forward to seeing one of these. looks like a nice operation and very professional. i'm sure we will be seeing alot from Trident in the future. :cool:

Froggystyle 12-06-2004 04:27 PM

Thanks for the good words folks.

Info is right, I would hate to come on here as a "new to you" guy on the forums and start spamming our boat, so I will leave that alone. I answered a few questions about the infusion process itself on the tech section, so I don't need to repeat it here and sound like a repeating jackass.

As I told Hot Boat magazine during a recent interview... this isn't new. NASA has been using it for years. ;) Some bigger builders with far more expensive boats are delving into the resin infusion process, and that is great to see. Genmar is also doing some stuff with it, but that, from what I understand is using a male/female mold as well, and with a very, very simple hull design.

This method looks to be delivering quite a large number of benefits to us, not the least of which is approximately 1/3 the resin used of a wet layup, and nearly 1/4 the weight of some close competition per square foot of boat.

Before I get flamed for total weight comparisons with hulls, you must remember to add interior weight and floors. My wife and I picked up the deck ourselves the other day. My guess is that it weighs less than 350 pounds. Hull is no more than 750 at the big end.

Thanks for the interest, I am going back to building this thing. Thanks for posting the link Info... you are a good man.

Talk to you all later,

Wes

T2x 12-06-2004 05:43 PM

Very impressive...but am I missing something here? Why would you go to all this trouble and expense...to save weight on a deck boat?...Isn't that kind of like the world's lightest station wagon?

T2x

jordy 12-06-2004 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by T2x
Very impressive...but am I missing something here? Why would you go to all this trouble and expense...to save weight on a deck boat?...Isn't that kind of like the world's lightest station wagon?

T2x

Not with an EFI quad rotor 572 and a dual jet drive. Should get across the lake pretty good. :D