Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Active Thunder Cats (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/91734-active-thunder-cats.html)

KNOT-RIGHT 12-04-2004 08:45 AM

Active Cats

1 Attachment(s)
I am considering making a move to a cat.
In my search I have stumbled on a Active Thunder 37' Cat.
I realize its not a MTI,Nortech or A Skater But they are out of my price range.
This one seems to fit my criteria of.
A Cat with a cabin.
A Cat that will handle New England seas.
A Stepped Bottom design.

Bob Morgan Built this hull in 1991. He told me the layup is heavy and it would be well suited
for rough water.

This is just a bare hull rigged for SSM5's.Must be completly rigged and the rear hatch is missing.
The hull is 37 feet x 12.5 feet wide. Whats this Hull worth? No trailer.
I realize its a rare boat which would hurt resale.
I have the power.
I have Arnesons.
Its a project and then some. But due to limited finacial resources it allows
me to assemble and rig a triple digit rough water Cat that meets my requirements.
I have rigged two other boats in my past. I am capable of glass work as well.

Please all you cat guys Comment and give me suggestions on this Hull
and the task I am considering.
Thanks in advance
Gerry

Steve_H 12-04-2004 09:25 AM

Re: Active Thunder Cats

heres another one without power at Big Thunder Marine

http://www.lakeozarkboats.com/view_ad.asp?pid=1061

KNOT-RIGHT 12-04-2004 09:38 AM

Gives me a better idea of what this ones worth.
Comes with trailer also. Most likely more then just a hull
Ill give them a call
Thanks

Jassman 12-04-2004 10:16 AM

Caveman, I think the two pics are of a different co. The one you are looking at is I believe not an Active Thunder Cat, that Pat produced, they also look differnt. Jeff

The Menace 12-04-2004 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by caveman
Please all you cat guys Comment and give me suggestions on this Hull
and the task I am considering.
Thanks in advance
Gerry

Cave, buddy, you know I just went through all of this: $3 to 5,000 tops!!!!

Hatch and trailer will be north of 25g's. Rigging will not be cheap. A TNT, Big Thunder etc would have to rig and wire it to make sure it is right.

Be ready to drop 125-150 g's total or more depending on what is in the cockpit.

Most times on a project like that it is not ONLY the money that gets you. It is the time, aggravation and disappointments. :(

At the end of the day (hind sight is always 20/20) I should have bit the bullet and purchased a skater or Nortech.

Remember in heavy water there are five factors required in a boat:

Length
Strength
Weight
HP
Mucho Dinero

Ryan Beckley 12-04-2004 10:52 AM

I am pretty sure that the white boat is an ACTIVE cat pre Active Thunder. The red boat is an active thunder 32 which as I've been told the bottom of a 32 Skater. I personally think I would go with the 37 what year is it. I believe the 37 is similar to an Express cat.

KNOT-RIGHT 12-04-2004 10:58 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by JASSMAN
Caveman, I think the two pics are of a different co. The one you are looking at is I believe not an Active Thunder Cat, that Pat produced, they also look differnt. Jeff

Interesting Bob Morgan gave me the lead on this boat. He mentioned something to the
tune of taking second in lake of the Ozarks in early 90,s However dont quote me on it.

Heres some other shots.

The Menace 12-04-2004 10:59 AM

It does look like an express. I would have to see a photo of the cockpit.

The Menace 12-04-2004 11:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The only cats/boats with steps back then were OE's. It probably is one. But again, a photo of the cockpit would clear that up.

Pic of rear deck of OE. There appears to be no gas tank in that boat either. More $$$$$$.

10x 12-04-2004 11:08 AM

Like Expresscat 39 said..... Sometimes it's better to spend a few more $$$ up front, and get something that is proven to work.
Not sayin that you don't know what you're doin, but, be prepared to spend some big $$$, usually twice as much as originally intended, and some serious time and agrivation. This is a very big project, and if it's not done right the first time, you WILL regret you ever started it.
Just mt $.02 from what I've seen in the past.