Buying a Jeep Cherokee- info needed >

Buying a Jeep Cherokee- info needed

Notices

Buying a Jeep Cherokee- info needed

Old 12-05-2004, 01:46 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Buying a Jeep Cherokee- info needed

I’m looking at buying a 98-2001 Jeep Cherokee. Straight six, auto, 4WD, tow package. It will be used as everyday driver, with some towing and off road use.

So I would like to know-
How do people like it?
How well does it hold up mechanically?
Specific things to stay away from?
Anything else?

Any dealers have one? Or private owners looking to sell? Especially within 75 miles of Atlanta?

Thanks. Brad.
Old 12-05-2004, 05:04 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Buying a Jeep Cherokee- info needed

It will run forever. Weakest link is the transmission. If you keep the trans serviced, it will last a long time. My wife has a '94 with 160k and she wont let me buy her a new one. I bought that vehicle when it had 48k on it and the most I've done to it was change the water pump.
Old 12-05-2004, 07:47 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

The straight 6 is a good engine. I had a '91, sold it a few years ago. How much do you plan on towing with it? I towed a '21 cuddy, around 5K loaded, mostly short distances. The engine has enough power but the short wheel base and light vehicle do not make for great towing. Everyday I got around 20 MPH. It was great in the snow, never off roaded with it.

Dave M.
Old 12-05-2004, 07:53 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same deal here .... my wife's got an '01 limited that she's been running for a couple years now . I have been BEGGING her to let me get her a new '05 GC , or a new Expedition , but she loves hers , blah blah blah , ... Sooooooo , I'm getting myself the new Ex. .... Is this wrong ???? Hey , I tried , right ????
Old 12-05-2004, 08:25 AM
Registered

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts

I love my ZJ and drive the p!ss out of it. I also do some pretty hard core off roading with it and have several mods done to it. Mine has the 5.2 and I like the extra power over the 4.0 but the 4.0 is a great motor too. I've also had a couple XJ's (old standard cherokee) with that motor. The 5.2 great crappy gas mileage, 12 - 15.

I wouldn't tow anything big with it though. Like Dave M said, short wheelbase is not good for towing plus it is a unibody with no ral frame. Mine has tow package but is rated for only 2000 with standard hitch. 7500 with weight distributing hitch but I never see anyone running a weight distributing hitch. I use mine to move my boat around in the driveway because it is easier to maneuver than my crew cab dually. By the way, that have a great turning radius (short). There is a ton of aftermarket stuff for them too.
Attached Thumbnails Buying a Jeep Cherokee- info needed-124-2406_img.jpg   Buying a Jeep Cherokee- info needed-126-2660_img.jpg   Buying a Jeep Cherokee- info needed-126-2692_img.jpg  

Old 12-05-2004, 08:31 AM
Registered

Mine has Quadratrac (fulltime 4X4) with high & low range. The hard core 4X4 guys like the Selectrac better but I've never had any problems with mine.

The 98-01 are WJ's and are a little nicer than the ZJs. I recommend getting a Limited as they come fully loaded.

Look here for lots of info (and for sale), N American Grand Cherokee Asscio:

http://nagca.com/home.php

PM me if you want more Jeep stuff.
Old 12-05-2004, 08:51 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

99-01 are a much improved vehicle versus the 97-98. I work for a dealership that has rebuilt and sold probably 300 wrecked Cherokee's in the last 5 years and the only things I can think of that are a continual problem is the front door speakers wiring breaks inside the rubber tube in the jamb and needs to be repaired and they have an appitite for power window motors. They are a little on the crude side, but they run forever and are cheap to purchase and repair.
Old 12-05-2004, 08:54 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

GF has a 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with 74K miles on it. She bought it from Carmax and has had regular service items done. She has the Carmax extended warranty and they have replaced U-joints, rear differential, CV-joints, as well. I just put new tires on it for her. She has the 5.2L V-8 though, with Quadra-Track. Its a nice vehicle, but you have to get used to the ride. To me, the rear end moves from side to side too much, and the seats are not very supportive, which made my back hurt after driving it for a couple days. I realize its not the same truck, but wanted to share.

We also have a 98 Wrangler in the family w/ 91K miles on it, 4.0L, and its stayed in impeccable shape, and we love it. Only thing major it needs is a new AC compressor and lines.

If you get a good deal, go for it.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 12-05-2004 at 08:56 AM.
Old 12-05-2004, 09:04 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
To me, the rear end moves from side to side too much
You talkin' about the Jeep or your GF?

Check your rear track bar bushings. They may be worn out.
Old 12-05-2004, 09:07 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
GF has a 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with 74K miles on it. She bought it from Carmax and has had regular service items done. She has the Carmax extended warranty and they have replaced U-joints, rear differential, CV-joints, as well. I just put new tires on it for her. She has the 5.2L V-8 though, with Quadra-Track. Its a nice vehicle, but you have to get used to the ride. To me, the rear end moves from side to side too much, and the seats are not very supportive, which made my back hurt after driving it for a couple days. I realize its not the same truck, but wanted to share.

We also have a 98 Wrangler in the family w/ 91K miles on it, 4.0L, and its stayed in impeccable shape, and we love it. Only thing major it needs is a new AC compressor and lines.

If you get a good deal, go for it.
I thought that you wrecked that thing a month or so ago?

Quick Reply: Buying a Jeep Cherokee- info needed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.