Notices

Thrown out of a boat

Old 12-08-2004, 01:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Thrown out of a boat

Does it count if the boat broke up with you in it? Key West 1992 World Championship, in A-4 Empty Pockets, a 28 Signature. We had just passed RunAway and moved into first place, east of the channel when our starboard Bravo drive came off at about 80-85mph in 4-5's. Boat did an violent 180 and we hit the next wave stern first (flat end). What happened next was told to me by the rescue diver. The boat flipped end over end backwards twice then barrel rolled. Three of us stayed in for the whole ride. The engine hatch, cockpit and deck with the exception of a 3 inch vee section at the bow seperated from the hull. Port drive sheared off breaking the tie-bar in half and tearing apart the hydraulic steering cylinders. Bolsters, dash verything just exploded. We ended up about 20 yard apart from each other without any boat. I ended up being pushed thru the starboard section of the hull, one fellow when thru the port and the driver ended up underwater with a section of deck on him. Thank God for Angel One or we would probably have been run over by the on coming A boat fleet. The pilot put the helo right above us so the rest of the boats went around the helo and us. We all three survived with some fairly minor injuries. Broken and sprained ankles, dislocated elbow (which still hurts), lacerations (the other guys swam away from me...something about sharks). The funniest thing was the dive medic couldn't believe we were alive when he looked down from the rung of the helo. One last thing, I was wearing thick plastic frame Carrera prescription sunglasses inside my goggles. When they transferred me to the medical boat I was complaing that I couldn't see with out them. When the medic removed my helmet, which was still cinched tight, my glasses were on top of my head, unbroken. But like I said in the beginning, I don't know if it counts if the boat breaks up...we did recover the hull a coulple of days later...what was left of it.
Old 12-08-2004, 02:41 PM
Registered

Received 61 Likes on 22 Posts

Wow, now thats a good story. I think that counts.
Old 12-08-2004, 04:09 PM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

HOLY CRAP!!! Not to sound f'ed up but was there any video on that? You guys are lucky to be around!
Old 12-08-2004, 05:01 PM
Registered

Yea we were lucky. To the best of my knowledge there was no video or stills At that time I think ESPN was covering the race and they peeled off to cover Lisa and Bob in Patriot which I think flipped elsewhere on the course. I remember seeing Hamlin in the emergency room. I did get to watch Art Lilly (Heartbeat) and Doug Lewis (Buckshot) have one of the best races I've ever seen while on the way in because the race doctor blew an engine on his boat getting to me. As we were limping in one engine I asked him if we could just hang out there and watch those guys go at it. He said no because I was bleeding all over his boat. So I hoisted my leg over the side and bled into the water the rest of the way. (He still wouldn't stop or give me a shot of Bacardi, for pain , that he had on board.) Where's a St Bernard when you need one? I did have some pictures of what we recovered, I'll have to find them.
Old 12-08-2004, 05:11 PM
Registered

Please post before and after pics of the the boat thet would be good, by the way impressive story
Old 12-08-2004, 05:16 PM
Registered

May I offer a suggestion...
Attached Thumbnails Thrown out of a boat-4875prsr1.jpg  
Old 12-08-2004, 05:18 PM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

LMAO!! I've been looking for one of those!!
Old 12-08-2004, 05:18 PM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Do they make them for stand up bolsters?
Old 12-08-2004, 05:42 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was involved in a 2 boat accident in 1987 on our Lake that ejected the two people in the boat that ran us over. We were headed north at night doing about 50mph in a 21 foot boat when a drunk driver in a 27 footer doing 70 mph with no lights on ran into us head on, nose to nose. The other boat ran over the top of us with the bow of his boat impacting my passenger in the head and me flying forward into the dash board crushing the steering wheel and then taking one of his nice cleaver props in the back turning around 8000 rpms. As god would have it, the local FD dive team was out practicing night manuevers and witnessed the event. The other couple was ejected and were drowning when rescued by the divers. As for me, they couldnt find me and the other boat driver had no idea what he had hit. So I sat there waiting for over an hour as rescue crews came and went . The other boat was buzzing by us in a big circle at 70mph for the whole time w/o anyone in the boat. It finally crashed on shore between to trees 2 houses down from where he lived, over 2 miles away from the accident scene Finally a Sherriffs boat came by and relized we were involved and towed us to shore. My friend was unconsoiuce stuffed into the cabin wrapped in fiberglass. I put a lifejacket on him and kept his head above water as the cabin and the rest of the boat slowly but surely was filling up with water. I really didnt relize I was hurt until someone on the docks started flipping out as I was helping the FD extricate my friend out of the boat. They saw the blood and my back and told me to sit down. As soon as they started treating me the pain set in. They put me on a strecher and wheeled me about 200 feet over a dock, put me into an ambulance then sped over several speed bumps to get out of the parking lot and onto the highway. Being a fireman I was begging them to slow down that I wasnt that bad. RIGHT ... The medic tells me its the worse injury he has ever seen. Then the ambulance gets into an accident about a mile from the hospital and totals out the rig !!! no **** !! anyways I was laid up for 9 months, got one hell of a scar on my back that makes for good story telling and my friend in the boat with me lived after they gave him his last rights

So, was I ever ejected...NO..but close
Old 12-08-2004, 09:10 PM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Damn Bob!! Glad you're still with us. Unbeleivable!!

Now my turn to tell my story.....

Saturday June 19th ,1999. New York City Poker Run. 1990 28 Apache "Warpaint" Powered by twin 509ci/600HP. We made the run without any problems. Went to Surfside 3 for the awards and then headed back to put the boat on the trailer and get ready for the parties. On the way back to Liberty Landing Marina we, my brother, myself, and three other people, did a, for lack of a better word, Fly by. At around 75-80 mph we fell into a huge hole and shot out the other side bow high. The boat landed hard on the starboard side breaking the port side bolster I was in and ejecting four of us. My brother was still in the boat and could not see any of us in or around the boat. Slowly they started to surface except for me. I was knocked out and not wearing a life vest, sinking into the Hudson. The guys started heading for the boat and one of them (the tallest one) felt something on his foot. He swam down and grabbed a hold of me and pulled me to the surface. Thanks John Kettele, I owe you big!!! I wasn't breathing so they put me on the engine hatch that had broken off. The harbor patrol was there within 5 minutes and by that time I was breathing again. I spent 4 days in a medically induced coma with head trauma. The rest of the week in St. Vincents Hospital and 6 months at home with double vision and neck and shoulder problems. Now I just deal with the daily headaches with 800mg ibuprofens.
The kicker.....My wife and I had just bought our new AT up from Fla. on the 13th of June!! So needless to say by the end of July I was out in the AT with a neckbrace and an eyepatch. Lesley just had to tell me if there was anyone coming up on the port side

Quick Reply: Thrown out of a boat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.