Electric Brake Controller Advice for F350

Notices

Electric Brake Controller Advice for F350

Old 12-09-2004, 08:05 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Electric Brake Controller Advice for F350

Thanks everyone!!!!

Thanks for straightening me out on that! Think I'm good to go!

Is it summer yet????
Old 12-09-2004, 08:44 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Soem trucks already have the fuses and relays installed ,soem don't . Yours does . All you have is the harness ... Remove the knee panel and look UP, & to the right . You will see a whole in the metal frame with the matching end of the harness sittign there looking at you . It is hard to get plugged in to on the angle it is on . It is atached to the metal . Stick a screw driver under it and pry it up a little . Then you can plug it in easier with one hand !

Like Buck said , the digital brake controls are easier to set up , but I replace LOTS of them ever month as they burn up easier on bigger trialers with more draw . The Tecomshes (sp) I have only had about 2-3 bad out of about 3000--4000 ..... They hand big loads better ,but are touchy to first set up right . Most of what I instal is the #9030 which handles up to 4 axles with no problem . The prodigy (from the same company )is supposed to be the best .... I am not sure about that ,but they are pretty nice unit . I have one in my Kenworth . Most people are too cheap to try one . You can buy controllers from $19 - $150 .

Cheaper is ALWAYS better !
Old 12-09-2004, 08:50 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey ,eastcoastB , Where you live ? I have a house not far from there . I'm up there every weekend if you need a hand . Joe
Old 12-09-2004, 09:07 AM
Registered

I have the Prodigy. I had them make a pigtail to plug in my X. I could have used the one supplied but did not want the splice. It was $10 extra but just a snap to use. Under the cubby whole in the dash is a recessed area, this is the best place to install it. It is still level there and easy to reach and seems to be made for it. It is also very close to the source. Easy as pie.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:32 AM
Drive to arrive alive!!!
Platinum Member

Received 397 Likes on 124 Posts

The Tekonsha Prodigy is the only way to go IMO! Everything is basically automatic.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:33 AM
Registered

Received 165 Likes on 65 Posts

I also have the Prodigy. It is hands down the best controller I have ever owned. I pull everything from my 6000 pound boat to a 20,000+ pound flatbed and it does a great job on all of it.
Old 12-09-2004, 10:04 AM
Registered

Boot, I'm just a little North of Northampton in Cherryville PA. Where do you have a house at? I think I'll be OK with the install, Thanks for the offer though!!!
Old 12-09-2004, 10:12 AM
Registered

I had a Voyager on my last truck and have a Prodigy on my current truck. Never had a problem with either one of them.

The only other one that I looked at that intersted me, other than the Prodigy, and I believe it was a Draw-tite, but at any rate, the box would wire in and was hidden under the dash. The controller display could be unplugged and thrown in your glove box if you weren't towing. Kind of a neat out of sight deal rather than always having it mounted to your dash.
Old 12-09-2004, 07:08 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by boot
Soem trucks already have the fuses and relays installed ,soem don't . Yours does . All you have is the harness ... Remove the knee panel and look UP, & to the right . You will see a whole in the metal frame with the matching end of the harness sittign there looking at you . It is hard to get plugged in to on the angle it is on . It is atached to the metal . Stick a screw driver under it and pry it up a little . Then you can plug it in easier with one hand !

Like Buck said , the digital brake controls are easier to set up , but I replace LOTS of them ever month as they burn up easier on bigger trialers with more draw . The Tecomshes (sp) I have only had about 2-3 bad out of about 3000--4000 ..... They hand big loads better ,but are touchy to first set up right . Most of what I instal is the #9030 which handles up to 4 axles with no problem . The prodigy (from the same company )is supposed to be the best .... I am not sure about that ,but they are pretty nice unit . I have one in my Kenworth . Most people are too cheap to try one . You can buy controllers from $19 - $150 .

Cheaper is ALWAYS better !
Hey boot, just out of curiosity what brand of digital controller do you offer for your customers? We are using the Draw Tite unit. I actually did a quick check today. We have sold over 1,200 of them in the last five years and we've had to warranty 2 in that time. While we do offer the Prodigy to our customers, the digital unit's seem to be preferred about ten to one to them. ?????

Buck
Old 12-09-2004, 10:23 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I have a Prodigy and love it. The instructions tell you not to use it for electric over hydraulic though.

Quick Reply: Electric Brake Controller Advice for F350

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.