Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Dry sump motor expertise needed. >

Dry sump motor expertise needed.

Notices

Dry sump motor expertise needed.

Old 12-12-2004, 03:21 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Dry sump motor expertise needed.

Usually you have 1 stage that is for pressure the other stages are for Vacuum.Mercury uses a 4 stage ie 3 vacuum stages coming off the pan. While there is some additional hp due to less drag, lower tension rings and no oil areation, there are other benifits like faster oil cooling since it is not in a hot motor, no oil leaks because your motor is under vacuum, and much better lubrication with cleaner constant oil supply. At least this is what my engine builder tells me. Plus I like to follow Mercury and Sterling.
Old 12-12-2004, 05:15 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gino,
You are alive???
Been a while, what boat do you have now. Motion???
Old 12-12-2004, 05:29 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey, Good to hear from you. Still have have the same boat. It's getting totally rerigged as we speak.It will be done by the second week of jan. Just swiched out to #6 drives and a set of 1150 HP's. Theres a picture of my new dash in TOO OLD'S post about custom gauges. After the medical stuff, wasn't sure if i would be able to drive the boat anymore but my recovery was 100%. I'm glad to be back in the boating world!! Thank you for asking!!
Old 12-12-2004, 05:46 PM
MarineKinetics
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

LubeJobs42
Give Cstraub on this board a call or PM. He works for Stefs and the marine items they had on display at PRI were absolutely state of the art. They are very experienced in marine R&D applications, supply many top marine engine companies with product and have setups available in both wet and dry sump configurations. If you need his contact information send me an email or PM.
Bob
Old 12-12-2004, 07:08 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I noticed there was some Steff items for ale on Ebay. That's what i was thinking of buying.
Old 12-12-2004, 08:16 PM
cstraub69@comcast

For 600 inchers you have to have a pretty good arm in the lower half. Big stroke creates big windage. Minimum I would go with a wet sump external pump set up. Best case would be dry sump, 4 pickups, dividers, and a 5 stage pump.

Chris

Old 12-13-2004, 12:27 PM
Gold Member

I`m building a 632 ci Pontiac heads Blower motor, and I will be using a DRY SUMP set up for the first time. Three stage is plenty like Dry Sump said..................
Old 12-13-2004, 02:54 PM
cstraub69@comcast

Thanks for the compliement Dry Sump.

Chris
Stef's Performance

Old 12-13-2004, 03:30 PM
Registered

Pantera....getting serious about making some power huh?? A 632" will be off the hook with pontiac heads and a blower.........Not for a boat is it? or do you have an Arenson you're planning to use I just sold a 632" that made 900HP on pump gas with Dart 360's. How much boost you going to be running?

When you really want to get serious call Sonny's for a set of their Hemi heads for Chevy

Last edited by jdnca1; 12-13-2004 at 03:32 PM.
Old 12-14-2004, 07:26 AM
Gold Member

Originally Posted by jdnca1
Pantera....getting serious about making some power huh?? A 632" will be off the hook with pontiac heads and a blower.........Not for a boat is it? or do you have an Arenson you're planning to use I just sold a 632" that made 900HP on pump gas with Dart 360's. How much boost you going to be running?

When you really want to get serious call Sonny's for a set of their Hemi heads for Chevy

It will be going in a 28 ft Cat with a number 5 and boosting 7 lbs. this thing should make over a grand at 5600. I just sold my Dart 360`s and it made 950, solid roller set up.

Quick Reply: Dry sump motor expertise needed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.