Notices

oil change kits?

Old 12-14-2004, 02:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil change kits?

Any input on those "tube through the dipstick" with the drill attachment pump devices?
Old 12-14-2004, 03:05 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: oil change kits?

my step dad has a pneumatic diaphram pump used to change the oil in his 18 wheeler. He tried the oil tube and dipstick one and it didn't work very well. what he is doing now is a long peice of hose attached to the drain plug hole, he leaves this in the boat and plugs the end of it. It takes a little more oil cause of the hose, but it all drains out. with the down the dipstick hose it is hard to get all the oil out. he attaches the big pump to the end of this hose.

the drain plug is the bottom of the pan and it is hard to use that dipstick small hose.

Ernie
Old 12-14-2004, 03:45 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Merc makes a kit to to just what TopSpin described. Actually, they have two kits, each has a different thread for the drain plug hole. I advise buying both, and taking the one back you don't need. The first time you install it, it makes a mess. Last I knew they cost about $55 per kit.

After that though, its the cats-ass for changing oil. I let mine drain all week, and fill-er-up on Friday.
Old 12-14-2004, 05:16 PM
Registered

We use a vacuum system. Hook up to air hose, -27psi, then hook tube to dipstick, and give it a few minutes, done.

I can get pics and the place to buy them from if you are interested.
Old 12-14-2004, 08:09 PM
Registered

I have a oil boy or something. (west marine) It a metal gas can looking container with a hand vacume pump. Attaches to the oil dipstick head. Works good and fine , much better if oil is warmed up a bit. I also have a drill driven pump. I like the oil boy better, less hassle and you cn pump it down and walk away from it.
Old 12-14-2004, 10:18 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

i have the Tempo vacuum type and love it. think i got it at Boat US.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 12-14-2004, 10:26 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go for the one that has an electric pump on top of a five gallon bucket. Easy 12v hook up, contains the mess, and gets one of my 575s done in less than 3 min. I got mine at Boat Us-I think it is a Jabsco.
Old 12-15-2004, 02:06 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by SCRAPMAN1
Go for the one that has an electric pump on top of a five gallon bucket. Easy 12v hook up, contains the mess, and gets one of my 575s done in less than 3 min. I got mine at Boat Us-I think it is a Jabsco.
I'd have to agree with Scrapman, this thing was a pleasure to use. Both engines done in 15/20 mins, no mess ... Just don't flip the 2-way switch the 'wrong' way after oil has already been completely emptied from the engine ((hint makes quite a mess spewing oil around like one of those kid's Wet'n'Wild yard sprinkler toys lol))

Haven't used the hose attached to the drain plug deal yet to compare, but the 5 gallon and electric pump is so sweet I'm not sure I will need to
Old 12-15-2004, 02:10 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Do you want to change ALL of your oil? Or MOST of it?

My vote is for the drain tube. You leave at least 1/2 quart, maybe more, in the pan when you suck it out. I know, as I installed the drain kit on my HP500EFI. I warmed the motor to suspend any particles in the oil, and get them up from the bottom of the pan, then sucked it all out the dipstick until it was sucking air. Then I pulled my drain plug and had what I estimate to be a full quart pour out, into the bottom of the bilge. It was a LARGE mess.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:32 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

on secon thought the cheapest way may just be to set an oil pan behind the boat under the hull drain plug and then drain the oil into the bottom of the boat and out the back.

note this metod can be very messy and cause major structural problems for the floor and transom of your boat.

just get a fitting that goes from 3/4" hose on one end to your drain plug size on the other and pump from the drain plug hole.... this gets all the trash that is sitting on the bottom of the pan out of the engine and doesn't leave 1/2 quart of old oil in the motor.

here is a site explaining both

http://www.boatus.com/boattech/casey/10.htm

you can buy it here
http://www.greatoutdoors.com/go/prod...ly/amback.com/

Last edited by TopSpin80; 12-15-2004 at 08:44 AM.

Quick Reply: oil change kits?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.