Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   OT:USB to Cable Modem help!! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/92528-ot-usb-cable-modem-help.html)

CBlakeNS 12-15-2004 07:28 PM

OT:USB to Cable Modem help!!

Does anyone have any good directions in making this work?? I have charter cable and I need help because I have it hooked up now but its not working--all the drivers and all are installed.

Thanks

CBlakeNS 12-15-2004 07:41 PM

Re: OT:USB to Cable Modem help!!

The cable is on cause im using it on my laptop, but the usb cable from the back of the modem into the computer is not give the desktop cable, but I dont know whats wrong, all the drivers should be installed so it must be some settings!

Anymore help--Thanks alot!

mcollinstn 12-15-2004 07:47 PM

You can't run it off the USB and the RJ45 simultaneously. It's either/or.

SeaRay Jim 12-15-2004 07:49 PM

It shouldn't be a USB cable. It should be regular CAT5 network cable. Isn't that how you have the Laptop set up now? Are you plugged directly into the laptop? Then do you unplug the CAT5 form the laptop and plug it into the desktop? ANd are you trying to hit a web site within the browser and not getting anything?

If so, compare browser settings in Tools/Internet Options/Connections tab/LAN Settings (In IE anyway).

CBlakeNS 12-15-2004 07:51 PM

Oh man you guys are confusing me, I am running my laptop off the usb ethernet cord, then beside that there is a cord that goes in and the cord goes to a usb port on a computer--thats what the desktop is hooked up too.

Sean H 12-15-2004 07:57 PM

i don't think that will work....need a router, or at least you do with my cable modem for two computers....

CBlakeNS 12-15-2004 08:01 PM

Yeah, but the problem is I got the desktop for free so its older and it doesnt have a cable outlet on it, its only got the usb and the person that gave it to me for free had it hooked up to usb before and it worked fine but im gonna try only using usb and not the cord

formula31 12-15-2004 08:01 PM

Yup, and then just get a wireless router and a card for your latop. There will be a direct cable hookup for the desktop and you can roam at will with the laptop then.

CBlakeNS 12-15-2004 08:19 PM

The USB still doesnt work even if the ethernet cord isnt plugged in, its really making me mad cause I cant figure it out.

Sean H 12-15-2004 08:20 PM

i don't think a usb cord will work, i may be wrong, but sounds like you need an ethernet card and a cat5 cable for your desktop...