Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Duramax 6.6 turbo diesel question? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/92550-duramax-6-6-turbo-diesel-question.html)

Harper220 12-15-2004 11:21 PM

Duramax 6.6 turbo diesel question?

I re-programmed my Duramax 6.6 turbo diesel with the highest level 3 option from Hypertech and the gains are to say the least, amazing. The turbo really winds up now and sings, but the Allison transmission seems to jump around a bit more, all though there's no option on the programmer to change the tranny or shift points. Am I headed for trouble or is this system pretty safe?

thunderusone 12-16-2004 12:05 AM

Re: Duramax 6.6 turbo diesel question?

The allison will be fine. It actually has to "re-learn" new shift patterns based on additional hp and torque at the input shaft. Run the heck out of it and it will get alot better in the next few days. If you think the Hypertech is impressive....step up to the Edge Juice with attitude. Almost double the tq of the hypertech. I have had them both....the edge smokes it!

animalhouse 12-16-2004 01:00 AM

I run the Edge w/ attitude on my '02, and the power is endless. The truck will burn the 305-50 - 20" tires off the rim. Need to get rid of the factory speed governer, any tips.

wannabe 12-16-2004 07:27 AM

I disagree with using #3, you will shorten the life of your trans. and axle. I would use #2 which stil;l gives you plenty of power.

Wannabe

44MTI 12-16-2004 09:59 AM

Bully Dog, It makes unbelieveable power, bypasses the speedlimiter, and they make an upgraded tranny (allison) that my friends are running with 600hp and 1200tq.

Raylar 12-16-2004 10:04 AM

We are doing development work on new Duramax hard parts and engine development. I will just give some careful advise. these motors and tranny's were engineered to produce about 400HP and 700ft/lbs of torque max and still give reasonable life. Be careful to keep your reprogram juicing safe and sane! When it comes time to rebuild these puppys, the norm will be $15K and thats if the core is good with no major broken parts. Also remeber that the new ECM's record all the changes to the program and they stay in the ECM's memory for up to 45 engine drive cycles. So if you have a major problem under warranty, the Dealers and GM may give you greif on your warranty. Just Ask Hypertech, Edge, Van Aiken, Banks, etc. if they are going to replace your busted diesel or driveline. Don't forget to get it in writing and read the fine print. I don't want to rain on your party, just remeber, everything in moderation! nothing in excess!
Ray @ Raylar

jordy 12-16-2004 10:13 AM

At the very minimum, if you're going to stay with the Hypertech or anything other than the Edge Juice/Attitude monitor, you should have a pyrometer at the bare minimum. More power comes from more fuel. More fuel equals more heat. In stock form pulling a heavy load you can burn the Duramax down, granted you really have to work to do it. It's more of a problem with a programmer that is increasing the fuel delivery.

As far as the $15K for a rebuild, seems to me you could pick up a long block for a lot less and just have it R&R'ed if you ever did have a problem. I've been running the Juice/Attitude on my truck for a year now, and don't think I've taken it out of 5 more than a couple times. Haven't had a lick of trouble with it. My understanding is because it runs behind the ECM that it's undetectable compared to the Hypertech/Superchips style programmers that reflash the PROM.

I had the Superchips on for 3 months or so and it was more of a pain in the ass than it was worth. Yeah it took out the top speed limiter, but honestly, I never ran it out. Right now, my truck on 285's tops out at 103. Seems to me that's plenty fast in a crew-cab 4x4. If I can't get whatever I'm trying to do done by the time I'm doing 103, then I need to rethink it. :cool:

Strip Poker 388 12-16-2004 11:50 AM

Edge Juice with attitude is what I am going to buy . Just trying to find a deal on one. Reatail is 899.00 J is 674.w/ the att.

They all tell me the trans is the week link in the higest settings the clutch plates and tourqe converter.

I have a bud thats stacking the Edge and some other name brand Ive never heard of . Both kits go at the programing in different ways the reson why .Hes running in the high 11's now :D .

boot 12-16-2004 11:51 AM

BD just came out with a speed limiter " UN- limiter" . It was discontinued ....... It probably wasnt't their's anyway . I think someone else has one too . Can't remember who right now .

The trans does need to "learn " BUt I would recomend NOT beating on it untill it does ....... You can cause serious over rev on the engine and huge pressure spikes in the trans ! Drive it normal until it learns how to keep up . It may take 100-300 miles . Programmers have LOTS of down sides to them . I would use it carefuly and on a lower setting. GET SOME EXTRA GAUGES TOO ! Do you an an after market exhaust and air filter ? If not ,Get one ..... Exhaust temp is not the only thing to worry about . Back pressure on the turbo from a restricted exhaust can cause as much damage also . When your building a HOT ROD , build all of it .
YOu wouldn't just stick a 14-71 blower on your boat without doing exhaust would you ???? :p Good luck with it , Joe

boot 12-16-2004 11:55 AM

Edge with attitude works nice on that truck .

boot 12-16-2004 11:57 AM

Triple lock convert and trans kit from ATS works nice .

jordy 12-16-2004 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
They all tell me the trans is the week link in the higest settings the clutch plates and tourqe converter.

The Allison is the strongest tranny in any of the light diesel trucks right now and with the Edge/Attitude, intake and exhaust, you'll be right around the 400hp mark that it's easily capable of handling. I wouldn't worry about it. The only thing I did to mine was flush it and fill it with Transynd. Then again, I have an unlimited warranty for anything that happens to my tranny. :D

articfriends 12-16-2004 12:29 PM

I run my own transmission business ,i haven't had a allisson trans come to me yet for repair but i will throw my .02 cents in because i had a 02 duramax and now have a 04 duramax,both with the hypertech.I highly reccommend changing the fluid to the allisson transynd.It should have been put in from the factory but gm screwed everyone by putting dex3 in(ALLISON would have warranteed transmission for 100k instead of 36k). I have ran my 4dr 4wd truck at drag strip in stage 3,launched in 4wd spooled up,shifted to 2wd in 2nd gear,ran 14.97 at 89.9 mph,was great fun BUT i wouldn't reccommend doing this all the time because you will eventually break something and it will probabl be 500 miles from home at midnight on a sunday night with your boat behind it!! When i ran my on street in stg 3 what i think i was occassionally feeling during wot shifts was computer pulling fuel back due to it sensing trans SLIPPING during shift. The trans has a input sensor,output sensor and motor has crank sensor,the computer compares these rpm's to determine line presure(it turns it up via a presure control solenoid in transmission) and shift points etc. The truck would sometimes break tires loose during shifts,other times it would "lay over"for split second then shift,when your truck does this its time to BACK OFF throttle!!!Like i said,the computer puts motor in a temporary limp mode at this point to try to protect transmission but i seen the trans temp climb 20-50 degress after doing this a couple times in a row,so its noy something you really want to do. From all the tech iv'e seen there are hd upgrades for trans for guys that really feel the need to flog on them all the time but they are big money. I don't moniter exhaust temp but i tow in stg 1,drive most the time empty in stg 2 and use stg 3 for occasional racing or playing around. Just remember,unless you paid gm for extended warr only major components of motor are coeverd for 100k,nothing else. I have converted over a dozen trucks to transynd for customers as "transmission insurance",most of them are under the wrong impression about there warranty and think its 100k drivetrain,but its not,Smitty

getreal 12-16-2004 12:57 PM

I have the Hypertech on lever 3. The check engine light come on and stays until I turn off the engine, It only happens every once in a while. I've call Hypertech many times and they were no help at all. Otherwise I love the the way it works.

Harper220 12-16-2004 06:43 PM

Thanks for all the great info. I don't abuse stage 3 so I think I'll be fine. Then I'll back it down to stage 1 when towing. Won't be towing anything till next spring, so it'l stay on stage 3 till then.

RonS 12-16-2004 09:14 PM

Where can you buy the transynd transmisson fluid for the allison?

jordy 12-16-2004 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by RonS
Where can you buy the transynd transmisson fluid for the allison?

The Allison dealers all carry it. Other than that I don't know.

Here is a link to Transynd on the Allison page:

http://www.allisontransmission.com/s...jsp?ThisPage=4

Here is the link to the dealer locater. If you can't find anything close to you, let me know and I can ship some out to you. :cool:

http://www.vicinity.com/allisontrans/startprx.hm

NJSONIC 12-16-2004 10:06 PM

If you are going to swap over to Transynd get the deep sump pan and filter for your trans. You will get extra capacity. Here are the part numbers: Pan 29536522,Filter(deep)29537966,Gasket 29536526. Transynd cost me 173.83 for a five gal. pail

h2owarrior 12-16-2004 10:25 PM

I truly think you guys are kidding yourselves about the drivelines (including engines) living with this kind of power going through them. Take a look at Vagrant's new ride. Here is a quote from his thread:

"Well I finally found a rig. It is a 2001 C7500 GMC CAT MOTOR 300HP 800lbs of torque and pulling cap at 33,500"

Now his truck will live under the those kinds of loads. Your light duty pickup simply is not up to the task. 1200 lb-ft of torque ? There is no way the system will handle that. Sure if you want to drive it for 10,000 miles then sell it, you will prbabaly be fine. But going long term will cost a lot of money in repair.

jordy 12-16-2004 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by NJSONIC
Transynd cost me 173.83 for a five gal. pail

Yikes. I think I could get you better than that, including the shipping. :cool:

Oh, and who said anything about 1200 ft lbs of torque? I read back through the thread and didn't see that anywhere. I know my truck isn't putting that out.

Dave1972 12-17-2004 09:07 AM

Jordy,

What should we expect to pay per gallon for the Transynd fluid. I'm heading to an Allison repair shop this weekend and I believe he quoted me at around $32/gallon. I only need about 15 quarts (14 actually but I want to make sure I'm flushed and 100% Transynd).

Dave1972 12-17-2004 09:15 AM

Forgot to mention...I've been doing some reading on the Transynd fluid. It's made by Castrol and Allison had/has a deal with them for the fluid and was the only fluid approved so Castrol had/has a nice "niche" with Allison as Allison requires TES-295 requirement but the testing procedures are vague and Allison does not offer guidelines for the testing. All of this information is according to Amsoil's website. Amsoil has made a "copy" of Transynd based on the same chemical make-up by reverse engineering.

At any rate....through the Amsoil website you can buy 2-2.5 gallon jugs for $154. If you buy the preferred customer deal for $10...you can get 10% off...so you could actually get 5 gallons of Amsoil's equivalent for $148.60 plus shipping which would come out to $29.72/gallon.

I don't have any exact pricing for the Transynd fluid yet....anyone care to help???

jordy 12-17-2004 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Dave1972
Jordy,

What should we expect to pay per gallon for the Transynd fluid. I'm heading to an Allison repair shop this weekend and I believe he quoted me at around $32/gallon. I only need about 15 quarts (14 actually but I want to make sure I'm flushed and 100% Transynd).

Off the top of my head, we sell it any where from like $26 a gallon to about $32 or so. Depending on the customer and the volume of business they do with us. I'd say somewhere in the $30 a gallon range is pretty realistic and not artificially high. We're also the Allison dealer in the area so I think we might get a little better price from the supplier than a shop that doesn't do the volume.

As far as 100% flushing the system, that's a good goal. Don't worry if you only get like 90% or so as Transynd is compatable with the dino oil that comes in the tranny from the factory.

On the up side, once you start running Transynd, you don't have to worry about dealing with your tranny fluid for a minimum of 100,000 miles, unless you're flogging it day in and day out. Just change the spin on filter from time to time and you're good to go.

happy hours 12-18-2004 09:21 AM

Can I ran Transyndin a non Allison trans?? As I type this I am going back to look at the link you sent. Articfriends any thoughts on the tranny in the Ford Explorers? I have a 2000 I bought new when I worked for Mother Ford and use it to pull a 20 ft bowrider (about 4000lb). It has been a total POS from a drive line prospective . 2 valve bodies and a rear end so far with 55k on it. I don't abuse it and wife drives it 95% of the time. Will better trans old help me out? I almost bought a chip to firm up the shift points and try to limit the abuse of the trans. It has factory tow options with the cooler but thoughts and a second one? Rear end oil and change frequency? it is due for both trans and rear end oil changes (has been about 20k since last failures)

ofshore 12-18-2004 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by 42MTI
Bully Dog, It makes unbelieveable power, bypasses the speedlimiter, and they make an upgraded tranny (allison) that my friends are running with 600hp and 1200tq.

A friend of mine put that chip in his 2002 powerstroke and smoked the trans within a month :eek: I don't know if the chip caused it or it was a bad trans from the start but i wasn't very impressed. I have the edge/attitude chip in my '04 powerstroke and it has worked great since i put it in but i typically only run it on 2 or 3.

jordy 12-18-2004 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by sutphen30
post 5,,, :D must not have gone back far enough. :D

My bad. I guess must have seen Bullydog in the first of the post and just kept going. :D

As far as the Ford tranny problem, it's hard to get an auto to hold up behind a diesel due to the torque that they produce as well as the torture that we subject them to. Allison has done it sucessfully because that's what they're designed for, not to mention that they only build trannies. Trying to have a one size fits all HD tranny that will work with the gassers and the diesels is a tough call.

It should be interesting to see what happens in the next couple years. I have it under good authority that Ford and GM are doing a co-op venture on a 6 speed auto that will be designed for the HD truck market. GM will continue to offer Allison and Ford will continue to offer the Torq Shift but both will then offer the 6 speed as well. Guess they're going to try and get a leg up on the Germans when they start switching things up with Dodge and the MBE engine platform.

Madmax 12-18-2004 10:52 AM

Hey Rob, this guy [email protected] sells the edge/attitude combo for $599 till December 23rd. I seriously doubt you will find cheaper, and if you do, let me know.

My Christmas present to you for all the 'presents' you have given us on another forum.! :drink:

Happy Holidays all.!