Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Looking for a deal on a trailer (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/92583-looking-deal-trailer.html)

Air Dog 12-16-2004 12:36 PM

Looking for a deal on a trailer

My boat trailer is about to snap in half...

I have called about 10 dealers in Florida that sell Aluminum I-beam trailers and there are some good deals out there.

I was hoping someone might be able to help me find the best deal.

I kind of have my heart set on a Rocket trailer. My boat is 24' and weights less than 4500lbs.

Any info is appreciated...

Sydwayz 12-16-2004 12:43 PM

Re: Looking for a deal on a trailer

Please, please, please do not buy a Rocket Trailer. They are complete junk. I had to rebuild mine from the ground up and it was only 2 seasons old. Top that off with it FLOATED when you backed it down the boat ramp. I had to weigh it down with 200 lbs of dumbells. New axles, new tires, new bunks, additional bunks, new lights, new brakes (opted for 4 wheel disc over 2 wheel drum). All I had was trouble with mine until I did this. If you want Aluminum, I would check out Allison Trailers, an OSO sponsor, also sold by Fred Cecil aka Too Old at www.TrickMarine.net

I have no experience with Allison, but everyone who has one raves about them, and they supply a lot of manufactures.

I would rather load my boat onto the roof rack of my truck, before I put another Rocket Trailer under it. You can do some searches here of my perils on OSO with my previous Rocket Trailer.

Crazyhorse 12-16-2004 12:47 PM

Contact DanB before you order an Allison. He might have some helpful information on the problems he had with his new one.

t500hps 12-16-2004 12:49 PM

I've just bought my second trailer from Fastload Trailers in FL. Talk to Rusty. They talked to me about what I needed instead on trying to sell me something they already had! I went torsion axels, stainless steel hardware, etc, etc. (Note: the first trailer was fine until it was totaled by some teenage driver)
I also agree with using Trick Marine....everything I hear in OSO is that he's a stand up guy!
Russ C.

Sydwayz 12-16-2004 12:51 PM

Some good info here:

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...rocket+trailer

My Current trailer under my AT is made by McClain in TX. I am pretty happy with it, but I would probably buy a Myco next time.

Air Dog 12-16-2004 12:53 PM

Yikes.... :eek: So much for that idea?

Good thing I asked.

I was under the impression that they were great quality?

How long ago was this trouble that you had?

I have bought stuff from Fred in the past, I will call him next...

Sydwayz 12-16-2004 12:57 PM

My Rocket trailer was a 1999. I could get NO support from them on my issues. Took me months to even find out who supplied their axles to them; whom I had to contact directly, to replace both my axles which had bent spindles, which of course were tearing up my tires. My posts in the thread I linked above have a lot of info about how to engineer your trailer, especially with over-engineering your axle capacities and why.

Sean H 12-16-2004 01:06 PM

call fred aka Too Old...... :cool:

Air Dog 12-16-2004 01:06 PM

Do you think their outfit has greatly improved since 1999? :rolleyes: Probably not... :(

45sonic 12-16-2004 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Air Dog
Do you think their outfit has greatly improved since 1999? :rolleyes: Probably not... :(

NO

Most of all is the fact that they are not willing to help with any problems or warranty anything. It was always the customer's fault