Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Delamination (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/92882-delamination.html)

Stormrider 12-21-2004 10:34 AM

Delamination

How would I recognize delaminating fiberglass?
Anyone have pictures to go along w/ a description?

Thanks!!!

Reed Jensen 12-21-2004 10:52 AM

Re: Delamination

Take a plastic headed hammer and tap on the hull in the suspected area.... where it is delaminated the sound will be a dull thud instead of a resounding thump. That is one way. I've heard that there are ultrasonic gauges that measure the density of the hull and can tell if there is water or a delamination. I've never seen one being used. The other way is visual..... but by then... it's too late..... :eek:

Ron P 12-21-2004 11:04 AM

If the gel coat is gone, and you can see bare fiberglass, its delaminated.

HiPerf2000 12-21-2004 11:07 AM

When i had my boat surveyed, he had an infrared camera that would show moisture and delamination. Pretty cool camera.

JCPERF 12-21-2004 11:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Extreme delamination. You apache guys will love this.

puder 12-21-2004 04:50 PM

jcperf i thin katht is more a "sinking" picture than a delamination picture

WesSmith 12-21-2004 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by JCPERF
Extreme delamination. You apache guys will love this.

Why ?? Is it a Fountain ? :D :D :evilb:

Relax kids, just having some fun...drinking Grey Goose martinis tonight !

MitchStellin 12-21-2004 05:29 PM

The hammer test for soundings is the best way. Look for the sound and a good bounce. Delamination will sound dull and the hammer will not bounce or bounce very little. A ballpean hammer works the best. Just tap it lightly along a line and listen and feel. This is the only safe way short of a core sample and doing this to the hull is impossible. Condensation will throw off the meter. In most cases this type of damage would be visible from the outside. Is it a balsa or foam core? You want to do this to the stringers, bulkheads, hullsides, deck, transom, all over. It won't do any damage as long as you just tap it lightly and use the plastic hammer.

SpeedGirl 12-21-2004 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Wes Smith
Grey Goose martinis tonight !

Can you make me one.... PLEASE :D LOL I like mine dirty :evilb:

Steve_H 12-21-2004 05:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by hi-perf-2000
When i had my boat surveyed, he had an infrared camera that would show moisture and delamination. Pretty cool camera.

example of infered pic.
this boat passed with flying colors