Notices

Trailer Newbie Question

Old 09-24-2006, 01:28 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer Newbie Question - I think I got it .... maybe....

First , I have only trailered a Donzi 18 Classic. The 27' regal never sat on one in 13 years that we had here before that. My question is around using a Weight Distributing hitch. I am looking at purchasing a 29 Scarab so fully loaded with trailer , gas and supplies will be around 8K#'s. Well within the limits of our Navigaror and my Dads 2500HD. Both hitches are Gen V and rated 5K for Load Bearing and 9K (Nav) and 12.5K# (truck) for weight distributing.

My question is...... does a multi axle trailer make a difference in trailering load limits? Is the low end rating for load bearing non weight distributing hitches compensated any if additional ( 2 - 3) axels are on a trailer? It seems that the additional axels, especially a three axel trailer for a 29' boat would take quite a bit of load off the hitch.

Last edited by SANLEONKID; 09-24-2006 at 06:31 PM.
Old 09-24-2006, 01:43 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Trailer Newbie Question

The multi axles lessen the tongue weight, but not the overall weight. But you still have to deal with the gross weight.
Old 09-24-2006, 02:42 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Reed Jensen
The multi axles lessen the tongue weight, but not the overall weight. But you still have to deal with the gross weight.
Understanding that the Gross weight never changes does the weight distributing hitch have the same effect as additional axles? I just di not understand the physics of it.....
Old 09-24-2006, 03:13 PM
Registered

Received 293 Likes on 107 Posts

good thread on this

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...ribution+hitch
Old 09-24-2006, 06:25 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

OK I think I got it..... and I am heading to Hitch World tomorrow. I have read the threads about the difference in hitches. From what I understand I have a vehicle that can either handle 8,900K# (NAvigator) or 2500HD (12.5K#) based on a Weight Distributing HITCH. The current Class V hitches on each vehicle are each rated for ONLY 5,000# Weight Carrying regardless of the vehicle. I would think that the truck SHOULD be able to carry more but it is the HITCH that is limiting the carrying capacity.

My plan is to use the truck (borrowed) for long hauls and our Navigator to take the boat from the shed to the ramp(LT 10 miles). If I get a Putnam XDR that is Weight Carrying rated for 9K# for the Navigator and 15k# for the 2500 Diesel I should be fine...... right?

If a vehicle can handle the Gross Towing Limit (8,900# for the Navigator) and 15,000# for the 2500 AND (most important) I have the appropriate Weight Carrying HITCH installed that is rated for Weight Carrying Capacity then I should be fine?

Do I seem to have the jist of this hitch business now?

And for those that continue to post..... yes I understand that if I just buy a big Semi rig or 450 Dually I could pull anything!!! The Scarab just aint that big though.

Last edited by SANLEONKID; 09-24-2006 at 06:37 PM.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:14 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Sounds about right......BUT.....does the 2500HD have the standard Class III hitch or a Class V?
The 2500 will handle the 15K load, but a Class III hitch won't. You'll need to look into a better hitch. And don't forget to install the correctly rated ball. All too often people forget to check the towing capacity of the hitch ball. Imagine towning a 10K load with a ball rated for 6K. Happens all the time.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:33 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

The 2500 has a Class V Hitch but "currently" only is rated for 5K Load Carrying. I am planning to place a heavy duty Class V hitch (XDR) on BOTH vehicles replacing the current ones that are only rated for 5,000#'s.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:03 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

The 2500HD comes from Chevy with a 7500# hitch. Your ball and ball mount may only be good for 5000# though.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:43 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

My factory hitch Class III from Ford is good for 5000 and 8300 with a weight distribution system.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:32 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

You will be absolutely fine with the Putnam XDR on the GM 2500HD which does raise the WC capacity of the vehicle to the 12000 lbs. The WD restriction on the original hitch on the 2500HD is compensating for the lack of quality of the factory hitch. Its a POS, and many refer to it as the "Flexi-Flyer." Is your Dad's 2500HD equiped with 4WD? Which engine? If it is only the 6.0L gas engine, you will find it falls short of the grunt you need to tow with.

Per Putnam, and a couple hitch shops... If you install the Putnam XDR which has an increased WC capacity, it does raise the towing capacity of the vehicle to the assigned WC capacity of the hitch. HOWEVER, if you are really increasing the tongue weight, and towing weight by WC, you will be wearing out your front end on your tow vehicle much faster; (your ball joints, shocks, etc) and you will have MUCH less control; not to mention the extra work placed on the rear suspension and drivetrain. Essentially WD hitches distribute the tongue weight to the center of the vehicle, rather than just the rear end.

As for the Navigator and towing... NO WAY-NO HOW.
The Navigator has rear coil spring suspension and whatever special air ride do-dads that Lincoln installs for level ride and smooth ride. Coil springs are absolutely the worst for towing. If you get into a bad situation, the trailer will push the Navigator all over the place, and those coil springs will rebound back and forth, and for certain turn you over, or throw you out of control. I am guessing that you will want to tow the boat with your family in the Navigator on the way to the lake, which is putting everyone at even more risk. I don't know if your 29 Scarab is single or twin engine, but with fuel, coolers, tools, gear, and trailer, I think you may be over 9K lbs. It adds up fast. The brakes and transmission on that Navigator are not up to the task. Even if you went to full electric over hydraulic brakes on the trailer, the transmission is going to let go. I would not plan on towing with the Navigator no matter what hitch is on it.

Is the Navigator 4WD? Limited slip differential? What rear end gears? You are going to need a lot of grunt, traction, and tall gears to get that boat up a ramp, especially a wet one. I don't want to see you swimming out to put a line on the mirror of the Navigator.

IF you are bent on towing with the Navigator, install the Putnam XDR on the Navigator, and have AirLift 1000 or Firestone Ride-Right airbags installed by a trailer/hitch/truck shop. Again, I don't recommend it at all. I towed 7280 lbs behind a Chevy Tahoe. Its NOT fun. There are several threads here on OSO about airbags. I can tell you right now, you only want to tow about 3/4 of what your vehicle is rated to tow. Otherwise, you are really working the entire drivetrain, suspsension, and brakes too hard, and you will have mechanical failures sooner than later.

Quick Reply: Trailer Newbie Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.