Like Tree0Likes

why most car salesman don't make money

Old 12-24-2004, 07:41 PM
Registered

My Boats: NorTech
Default Re: why most car salesman don't make money

My brother in Law was a very succesful dealer , owned his own lot for years ..
He could spot a tire kicker vs a buyer from a mile away.. Trust me ive seen him in action ..

Last edited by Pantera1; 12-24-2004 at 07:45 PM.
Old 12-24-2004, 11:29 PM
Registered

I've pretty much given up on salesmen of all kinds lately. I was looking for a truck this fall and couldn't get any help from local dealers (s.e. michigan) locate it for me so I found what I was looking for myself online and bought it sight unseen from Battlefield Ford in VA. They drove the truck out here to Metro Airport (Detroit). Ended up getting a F350 PSD 4X4, Crew cab dually. A few phone calls, a fed ex package, and a couple calls with the driver in route and it was done.

Same thing with boat salesmen. My wife was looking for a small runabout and got absolutely NO help from any boat dealer in the area. I guess business is so good that even a paltry $20K boat isn't worth their time anymore. Well the first salesman that would even give us the courtesy of talking with us got a cash sale on the spot.

We bought a Volvo XC90 this year with the first salesman that would give us the time of day. Treat us with respect and the chance of a sale increases. Show us what were looking for and your ahead of the pack.

I know salesmen put up with alot of tire kickers but hey thats just part of the job. If you can't handle it find another line of work.

Last edited by Playn; 12-24-2004 at 11:34 PM.
Old 12-24-2004, 11:31 PM
Gold Member

My Boats: Boatless... Damn...

I had a similar issue when i went looking for my truck 3 years ago. I walked into 2 different new cars stores and was ignored by every sales person in there. I got so mad at one store that I asked for a asales manager and flat out told him that I was in the market for a new HD truck and sure as the days are long was not getting it from his place because of the lack of attention. He was pissed at his sales guys when I got into my truck and left.
Old 12-24-2004, 11:36 PM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

My Boats: '99 Active Thunder Tantrum

As a mechanic I can relate...If you take care of a customer....listen to his concern, take him for a test drive, drop him off at home so he/she doesn't have to hang around a shop while his vehicle is being worked on, He/she will be back!!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I know salesmen put up with alot of tire kickers but hey thats just part of the job. If you can't handle it find another line of work.

SO DAMN TRUE!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

When I was a Tech I use to like taking the young women home
Old 12-25-2004, 01:28 AM
Registered

My Boats: Lumpy Old Resin Bucket

This is a very offensive thread.

I'm a car salesman & proud of it!! (It pays for my boat)
Old 12-25-2004, 07:34 AM
Registered
Trade Score: (2)

My Boats: DONZI 22 CLASSIC LIMITED

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Addiction
As a mechanic I can relate...If you take care of a customer....listen to his concern, take him for a test drive, drop him off at home so he/she doesn't have to hang around a shop while his vehicle is being worked on, He/she will be back!!
When i worked as a Truck mechanic i would also moonlight at a R.V. dealership.There was one salesman that would sell way more than anyone else.It seemed he was always coming to me for small favors to help the cust. out.We got along well, so one day i ask him what he secret for selling was.He explained to me that everyone who comes through the door has a story to tell.Either about their Brother,Uncle or whatever.But he said i always genuinely listen and he said that is what is the key.The other sales guys would take money up front to get them through the Winter and be so desperate to make a sale.The Dealer thought it was great to have such a hungry sales staff.I thought it was a big turn off to the cust..But what did i know ?
Old 12-25-2004, 08:19 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

My Boats: 98 formula 353

second what wetkitty said. just because you had one or two bad experiences don't paint with a broad brush. i own a small GM store and every salesman gets used by price shoppers, tire kickers and strokers on a daily basis. any salesman can have a bad day or week. cut the guys a little slack to on a lot of deals the salesman is only getting a couple of hundred dollars of commission for all the work they do.

on that note though it is like anything else find one you are comfortable with and remember their phone #.
Old 12-25-2004, 10:33 AM
Registered

My Boats: 1997 hustler sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetKitty42
This is a very offensive thread.

I'm a car salesman & proud of it!! (It pays for my boat)

I did not intent to offend anybody, I know there are alot of sucssesful sales people out there, I happen to be one myself, But I don't screw around, and I expect to be given the benifit of the doubt, cuz I don't phuck around. I didn't even want a test drive, I just wanted to buy it. I thought I was making there life easy because I told them just to call me when they found it and I would come in and buy it. if they don't believe me screw'em I don't have time for that crap, I am too busy sleeping eating or snowmobiling! next time I will check with you guys first, but this time I was kinda in a hurry.