West coast/Havasu regulars

Notices

West coast/Havasu regulars

Old 12-29-2004, 12:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: West coast/Havasu regulars

Originally Posted by MnFastBoat
I will do my damnest to talk her out of the 4th nad go hte next week. I have always wanted to do go to Powell. Since the day I brought my boat home.
Lake Powell is nice, hopefully we'll have a wet enough winter to fill it back up some. At the same time, anytime in July/August are hot and humid in Arizona. If I were planning a trip across country, I'd look sometime around May or early June (with the exception of Memorial Day) or sometime after Labor Day into September. Still plenty warm during the day, but cooling off a little bit more at night.
Old 12-29-2004, 01:06 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Reed Jensen
Havasu on the 4th of July is for the oversexed testosterone fueled crowd. There are so many people there you cannot launch... unless it's 6 am... you cannot get up on plane anywhere near the bridge area without fear of running over PWC's ( hence the nick name, lake lice ) You cannot get into any of the bars or restaurants unless you jump in your car and drive to one. The police set up temporary motorhome jails to process the drunk crowd. Even if you aren't driving, but wobbling around on foot they will arrest you for public intoxication. Girls are frequently arrested for public nudity by lifting and flashing. Unless you want to listen to loud rap or hip hop music you cannot stand to be beached in the channel. I would NEVER go back to Havasu on a major holiday again. Then... if you do manage to survive the weekend and have to head back to Los Angeles... It is bumper to bumper traffic on Monday evening for 100 miles.. so you have to stay at least another day or two just to avoid the traffic... Never again.

I got enough of the rap sh*t here
Old 12-29-2004, 01:14 PM
castaway

if you're not into crowds Lake Powell is awesome!!! rent a house boat, load it up w/ food and drinks, bring a bunch of friends, a wakeboard boat and a FAST boat and you're set.... find a beautiful secluded cove to set up camp and then get to partyin!! (7-10 days is a must)

Old 12-29-2004, 01:19 PM
Registered

Anybody remember Havasu before the Californians found it? (No offense intended) When it was just McCulloch and 300 snowbirds from Ohio and Michigan?

In the 70s my friend's parents moved to Havasu. The father opened one of the first pharmacies. Later he retired.
Last year he died.

But those early trips to Havasu, say pre-85 were magic. There were only so many roads up the hillside. Everyone of them was a dead end except McCulloch.

There wasn't Jack on the Island except the "new" Nautical and the "old" airstrip.

I rode a Jet Ski there when they were a new thing. (Stand up only)
If you couldn't get on your feet fast, you would lose your shorts.

Plus... they used to rent out ATCs (remember the 3 wheeled ATCs?) and you could head straight out into the desert. (Secret.... they float. if you're careful.)
The homes were something that popped up from the desert. Now the desert is something that pops up between the homes.

This was all way before they changed the main drag and put that overpass connector to the bridge. You used to just take a right at the bridge.

When I get home I will find some pics.

Last edited by fund razor; 12-29-2004 at 01:21 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-29-2004, 01:20 PM
Registered

Oh yeah, and Crazy Horse Campground. That was there.
Old 12-29-2004, 01:28 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jordy
Lake Powell is nice, hopefully we'll have a wet enough winter to fill it back up some. At the same time, anytime in July/August are hot and humid in Arizona. If I were planning a trip across country, I'd look sometime around May or early June (with the exception of Memorial Day) or sometime after Labor Day into September. Still plenty warm during the day, but cooling off a little bit more at night.
Hell... I remember Powell when it was this level and filling. There are more things to see... more land areas to explore with the water at this level than when full. Who cares if the water is down 100 feet... it is still the best lake in the Western US. BY FAR. I can remember going there way before GPS technology and getting lost in the main channel... it's that big. The trick is to always look for the sheer faces.. that is where the original Colorado river channel was.
Old 12-29-2004, 02:45 PM
Registered

Cool Re: West coast/Havasu regulars

Originally Posted by fund razor
But those early trips to Havasu, say pre-85 were magic.
Me an my dad were going there in the mid-70's. Nothing like camping at Crazyhorse in 120 degree heat (and it cooled down to a chiily 100 at night).

Old 12-29-2004, 03:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Havasu Hangin
Me an my dad were going there in the mid-70's. Nothing like camping at Crazyhorse in 120 degree heat (and it cooled down to a chiily 100 at night).

No doubt. Lucky for me, the drinking age was 19 down there when I was 19.

I have a great photo of the lake from Crazy Horse in like, 78 or 79.

The only boat is this Grampa fishing looking thing with a Scotch cooler interior.
Old 12-29-2004, 03:06 PM
Registered

[QUOTE=jordy]Actually, that seems to be the easiest way to get your boat torn up, at least from what I've seen. Torn up, scratched, burned with cigarettes, covered with beer and soda. No thanks.

Well, while we're all sober right now, let's remember that some of those chicks dancing are not always the hottest either, somebody mentioned Havasu is a sausage fest with a ratio of men to women being 5 to 1, that number is more like 100 to 1, that one being the least to send you home without the itchy's

Quite a few times I've gazed at the scenery out there, and most of the time I'm telling myself...thank God I'm married to the right women, I would hate to gamble in that single scene I'm no prize either, so I consider myself lucky

This past year when we went out there for the Poker Run in April, there was this girl that must have been maybe 18 she was wearing a little G-string and some pasties up top, now the body was rockin, and like I said we were not that sober, but then the facial close up came at the dock, and all I can say is RUN
Old 12-29-2004, 03:24 PM
Registered

Thumbs up Re: West coast/Havasu regulars

Originally Posted by fund razor
The only boat is this Grampa fishing looking thing with a Scotch cooler interior.
Hey...that's the roots on the Havasu Performance Boating family tree!

I wonder if my dad has any slides (he was big on slideshows)...

Quick Reply: West coast/Havasu regulars

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.