Looking at a 30 Scarab Panther.... Structural Integrity >

Looking at a 30 Scarab Panther.... Structural Integrity

Notices

Looking at a 30 Scarab Panther.... Structural Integrity

Old 01-04-2005, 06:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at a 30 Scarab Panther.... Structural Integrity

Not sure what year it is yet, just passed it in front of someone's house today. Has twin I/O's. Going to check it out and would like to know what to look for since it's an older boat.

Since it's an older boat, my concers are in the structural integrity. What do I look for? I'm assuming that it's a mid 80's boat and everything in the bilge, stringers, structure is all wood. Did they encapsulate them in fiberglass back then? Do I need to check the outside hull to assure it's straight?

Any positive or negative comments on this boat?

Any tips would be appreciated, last thing I want to get into is bringing home a basket case.

THANKS!
Old 01-04-2005, 06:45 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Looking at a 30 Scarab Panther.... Structural Integrity

I can tell you first off to forget the 1987 with the twin right-hand rotation Alpha drives. If it's older it probably has TRS and if it's newer it may have Bravos.

Check the bottom for stress cracks forward of the engines. Also, check the lateral bulkhead below the rear seat where it is tabbed to the bottom inside.

If there is an odor of gasoline it may need a new tank.

Be careful. Get a survey from a surveyor who understands this type boat.
Old 01-04-2005, 06:49 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by East Coast B
Not sure what year it is yet, just passed it in front of someone's house today. Has twin I/O's. Going to check it out and would like to know what to look for since it's an older boat.

Since it's an older boat, my concers are in the structural integrity. What do I look for? I'm assuming that it's a mid 80's boat and everything in the bilge, stringers, structure is all wood. Did they encapsulate them in fiberglass back then? Do I need to check the outside hull to assure it's straight?

Any positive or negative comments on this boat?

Any tips would be appreciated, last thing I want to get into is bringing home a basket case.

THANKS!
Thats the way most boats are still built today ..Very few are not wood core ..The best way to check for problems os with a 20 oz finish hammer tap around anyplace water could intrude ie bulkhead fittings, gimbals, tabs, motor mounts etc.. If you hear a void .. avoid the boat..
I always liked the lines of the panther "classic"
Old 01-04-2005, 06:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had one for 5 years now - 1977 30ft scarab panther,twin 350s with merc trans and trs drives. it handles great and drives great even the rough. Just make sure you check the transom and stringers, make sure the gimble housings didnt leak water in and that would rot the transom. Also look in the storage compartments in the cabin for any hidden damage. look for any salt water damage pull a hose off see how bad its rotted on thermastat housing (if its been in salt water) I actually had a cylinder wall #8 pin hole rotted from inside out - salt water. overall i've been very happy with mine but i moved up to a 40ft fountain for the bigger cabin . hope this helps.
Kevin
Old 01-04-2005, 07:02 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes Fred, I have. Most of the time they checked out okay unless the owner let his teenage son use the boat with his buddies.
Just like any boat, if they were asked to do something they were not designed to do, they broke. We call those drivers "Cowboys" and their boats are usually junk after a short while.
On a sea trial once I told the owner of a catamaran that the boat felt broken to me, but he assured me that was water splashing under the tunnel making that noise.
We got up on plane in flat water and we stuffed it when the left sponson burst into a thousand pieces. I was the only one not hurt.
Old 01-04-2005, 07:08 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Depending on what year the boat is there are a few different things you need to check for. Check the keel for stress cracks, the mid 80's Panthers had some production issues and they didn't overlap the glass enough and made for a weak keel. Believe me because I had to have a 7 ft. section of my old boat replaced. As someone stated earlier, check the rear bulkhead for rot and also check the center stringer between the engines. There are two V shaped tabs that are glassed to the center stringer and they tend to pull appart. Also, there are two small stringers underneath the engines, you need to check to see that they are ok to. Get a good surveyor and as long as the boat checks out you'll like it. I had mine for 5-6 years.