Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Painting Boats (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/93864-painting-boats.html)

RollWithIt 01-05-2005 10:47 PM

Painting Boats

Question for all the experienced paint guys and gals on this site. I am curious to find out what the steps are for painting boats. Is it the same process as painting fiberglass on cars, etc.. What has to be done to prep the surface? Also, what is the difference in working with Gelcoat vs. Clearcoat? I have a artistic past and a creative mind. Been rolling the idea around for a while about looking into doing paintwork. Any thoughts or information would be greatly appreciated.

PS. What kind of schooling would you recommend or would that be a waste of time/money?

glassdave 01-05-2005 10:55 PM

Re: Painting Boats

feel free to give me a call. i can talk you through every phase of it. i have been doing composites and custom graphics for . . . well . . .longer than i care to think about. :drink: cell# is 419-461-1484 anytime is fine :cool:

theres alot of ways you can go about it but experience is the best teacher here. the art background will help alot. it has helped me tremendously.

JCPERF 01-05-2005 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by RollWithIt
Question for all the experienced paint guys and gals on this site. I am curious to find out what the steps are for painting boats. Is it the same process as painting fiberglass on cars, etc.. What has to be done to prep the surface? Also, what is the difference in working with Gelcoat vs. Clearcoat? I have a artistic past and a creative mind. Been rolling the idea around for a while about looking into doing paintwork. Any thoughts or information would be greatly appreciated.

PS. What kind of schooling would you recommend or would that be a waste of time/money?

Good then you can paint my boat. :D

RollWithIt 01-05-2005 11:10 PM

If I get into this... Will definately look to do it as another part of the Marina. Been drawing and stuff ever since I was a kid and all I know is that I can watch programs all day with cars, bikes, etc.. getting artwork done.

Dave, will call you. Got your number in my phone.

tomtbone1993 01-05-2005 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by JCPERF
Good then you can paint my boat. :D

mine will be 2nd :D

Queenie 01-06-2005 07:56 AM

Rob and I are in the middle of repainting our 32' Stinger as I type. Rob's background is 15+ years in autobody paint and repair. This will be the 3rd (and last) paint scheme to this boat.

We have sanded and sanded and sanded everything from the bow line up. I'll let Rob know about this thread so he can give his feedback.

Glassdave, you do graphics huh? Do you travel to say, Fairport Harbor OH??? We have a few schemes we're interested in and one has graphics on it. I may have Rob give you a call also if that's ok.

Barb

Audiofn 01-06-2005 08:26 AM

The steps are VERY different depending on what process you use (gel vs Eurathanes). There is a place called Mini Craft in Florida that is the best around for Gell work. They sell the best paints and access that I have ever used. The web addy is www.minicraft.com They also have classes that they offer. If you are doing artwork/graphics on the side then you probably need to use the eurathanes.

Jon

RollWithIt 01-06-2005 11:56 AM

Thanks for the info. Will look into the information given and will be calling a couple of you when I get a chance. Moving day today due to the Ohio flooding.

packinair 01-06-2005 01:24 PM

don't become a boat painter.. those guys are weird as hell (example GLASSDAVE)

RollWithIt 01-06-2005 06:51 PM

I believe its something about the paint fumes they inhale. :eek: :D