Notices

Painting Boats

Old 01-05-2005, 10:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting Boats

Question for all the experienced paint guys and gals on this site. I am curious to find out what the steps are for painting boats. Is it the same process as painting fiberglass on cars, etc.. What has to be done to prep the surface? Also, what is the difference in working with Gelcoat vs. Clearcoat? I have a artistic past and a creative mind. Been rolling the idea around for a while about looking into doing paintwork. Any thoughts or information would be greatly appreciated.

PS. What kind of schooling would you recommend or would that be a waste of time/money?
Old 01-05-2005, 10:55 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts
Default Re: Painting Boats

feel free to give me a call. i can talk you through every phase of it. i have been doing composites and custom graphics for . . . well . . .longer than i care to think about. cell# is 419-461-1484 anytime is fine

theres alot of ways you can go about it but experience is the best teacher here. the art background will help alot. it has helped me tremendously.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 01-05-2005, 10:56 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RollWithIt
Question for all the experienced paint guys and gals on this site. I am curious to find out what the steps are for painting boats. Is it the same process as painting fiberglass on cars, etc.. What has to be done to prep the surface? Also, what is the difference in working with Gelcoat vs. Clearcoat? I have a artistic past and a creative mind. Been rolling the idea around for a while about looking into doing paintwork. Any thoughts or information would be greatly appreciated.

PS. What kind of schooling would you recommend or would that be a waste of time/money?
Good then you can paint my boat.
Old 01-05-2005, 11:10 PM
Registered

If I get into this... Will definately look to do it as another part of the Marina. Been drawing and stuff ever since I was a kid and all I know is that I can watch programs all day with cars, bikes, etc.. getting artwork done.

Dave, will call you. Got your number in my phone.
Old 01-05-2005, 11:24 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JCPERF
Good then you can paint my boat.

mine will be 2nd
Old 01-06-2005, 07:56 AM
Registered

Rob and I are in the middle of repainting our 32' Stinger as I type. Rob's background is 15+ years in autobody paint and repair. This will be the 3rd (and last) paint scheme to this boat.

We have sanded and sanded and sanded everything from the bow line up. I'll let Rob know about this thread so he can give his feedback.

Glassdave, you do graphics huh? Do you travel to say, Fairport Harbor OH??? We have a few schemes we're interested in and one has graphics on it. I may have Rob give you a call also if that's ok.

Barb
Old 01-06-2005, 08:26 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The steps are VERY different depending on what process you use (gel vs Eurathanes). There is a place called Mini Craft in Florida that is the best around for Gell work. They sell the best paints and access that I have ever used. The web addy is www.minicraft.com They also have classes that they offer. If you are doing artwork/graphics on the side then you probably need to use the eurathanes.

Jon
Old 01-06-2005, 11:56 AM
Registered

Thanks for the info. Will look into the information given and will be calling a couple of you when I get a chance. Moving day today due to the Ohio flooding.
Old 01-06-2005, 01:24 PM
packinair

don't become a boat painter.. those guys are weird as hell (example GLASSDAVE)

Old 01-06-2005, 06:51 PM
Registered

I believe its something about the paint fumes they inhale.

Quick Reply: Painting Boats

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.