Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Headed to MI, any suggestions or comments? >

Headed to MI, any suggestions or comments?

Notices

Headed to MI, any suggestions or comments?

Old 01-07-2005, 09:53 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Headed to MI, any suggestions or comments?

Originally Posted by MitchStellin
Hey Woogie, who are you? I live on the North side near the State Park. I luanch at the DNR ramp.
Hey Mitch good to meet ya - Northsider also - live in the first cottage I bought out here 20 some yrs ago - have owned many here but always kept this one because it has an association dock and a view of all the boats that launch from the DNR ramp. Little place in the Chippewa Resort. Was an exhibit/trade show rep out of GR for many years and bought/restored cottages out here in spare time. Now I just design/build 1 per year on spec and pray for a buyer! If you get a chance ck out 386 Big Bay Dr.- sums up my work.
Are you in Crosswinds? I thought I saw an Active poking out of a garage in there last summer. I kind of miss all the offshore boats that used to be out of here - SNAFU, SOO BAD, INSATIABLE, MINE, 168TH AIRBORNE ,CATNIP, etc.. we used to do some wild "pickle" runs. But hey it ain't over - been seeing alot more big Skaters, PQ's, and Cigs. Right now all I have is 185 PQ - see PQ section for pics. Plan is to build a long heated garage this year then do an older Cig or Magnum project. Meanwhile, we gotta work on Formula1's wife - convince her how beautiful that soft white Lake Effect snow is! Joe
Old 01-07-2005, 10:03 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by formula1
Scott, is that Cedar Point in the background?
That definatley looks like Cedar Point in the background, and from his explanation of how close places are to him, it just has to be!

We vacationed this past August in Sandusky Bay at our friends dock for 4 days then headed over to Kelly's for the weekend. We had such a great time in that area we're going back again this summer. Just love boating in the Sandusky Bay/Islands area.
Old 01-07-2005, 10:09 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by vtec
Can somebody tell me how Michigan is better than Florida?

Michigan:
-Governor taxing us every which way (license fees, click it or ticket,)
-Cities (like the St. Clair Shores) raise property taxes to hire more cops..to give you seat belt tickets...to raise revenues...to give cops overtime to patrol streets...to give parking tickets...to raise revenues)
-Hip Hop Mayor of Detroit (I'm jealous of all his strippers)
-Detroit...greyest city on earth
-High unemployment...not gonna change anytime soon..yet Fed is raising interest rates... cause the rest of county ain't a piece of crap...like Michigan.... and they actually have positive GDP
-guys with 3 teeth...sayin' we need more unions...so more jobs can leave
-Bad roads (you have to have a SUV....or you'll bend rims)
-Bad weather
-spend 20 minutes a week scraping ice of your windsheild
-freeze your azz off for the first 10 minutes on your way to work...while you can't see out your windsheild
-car door freezes shut.....break handle opening door...start day off on bad note
-shovel the perimeter of your roof to prevent ice damns
-shovel the driveway, sidewalk etc.
-have to get up extra early to clean and warm car=less sleep or....late for work
-all this while on your so-called Christmas Vacation
-salt all over every crevis of your car=rust
-4 month boating season....and it'll rain on saturday and sunday
-go boating not cause you want to...but because you make 12 payments a year and can only use the thing 4 months... and you feel guilty
-4 month golf season...it'll rain on golf day...then course will be too wet half the time,
and when it's a nice day..local courses are packed (cause everybodys gotta golf...cause they only got a 4 month season)
-public schools in wealthy areas (Bloomfield, Rochester Hills, Troy) are good....rest are cartel (teachers union) controlled waste of my tax money..see Governor
-fat people(all of U.S midwest)(fat people are slow in the grocery line, and at the mall, etc.....4 skinny females......8 thousand guys chasin'em.....fat girls even start thinking their hot)
-vacation= leave state
-tomorrow....people are boating in Florida....tomorrow...people in Michigan are posting on the internet...about boating

Florida:
-Tee times on Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc.
-Fun Runs on New Years Day(what are you doing over the holidays?.....ah... boating
-South Beach...new invention....skinny people....who are good looking.
-Jeb
-lower taxes (state average)
-lower cost of living (state average)
-hurricane guarentees new HD tv's every 4 years.... and new stereo...take my clothes while you're at it
-car last longer..no potholes...no salt....no fat people at grocery store banging into everything
-don't have to go tanning
-Key West..Miami Vice...stiltsville...Marathon......long bridge over beautiful water
-Southern people are more friendly......and skinnyer
-vacation destination...cause it's desirable...unlike Michigan

"Re: Headed to MI, any suggestions or comments?"

YEAH......DON'T COME HERE
LMAO, and he's an optimist
Old 01-07-2005, 10:15 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by formula1
Aren't all the roads less than ideal up there!?!?!!?

Yeah, front end alignments are required once a year
Old 01-07-2005, 10:17 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by articfriends
FLORIDA?Every year i go visit my parents in florida for a week,usually the coldest wk they have on record,especially when i tow my boat down their!! I always see OLD people when i'm down their but i do see the skinny girls you guys are talking about every time i turn on cops,if you could get them off the crystal meth and take them to a dentist i guess they would be ok but then again they'd probably fatten up once they were no longer homeless and started eating again . If you do move to michigan,we have great boating and snowmobiling, BUT,you'll have to find something else to do the other 6 months a year ,Smitty
Smitty, your funny as hell, ever think of a career in the comidy biz We have lots of chicks in Michigan, If you can tear them away from the TV long enough or away from the all you can eat buffet to take them boating. Then you need a BIG boat to haul there ass around, unless you like them young like 13 to 18. Oh and in Michigan, you need way bigger cup holders, that will hold a 32 oz cup all the chicks love them.
Old 01-07-2005, 11:46 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Woogie
Hey Mitch good to meet ya - Northsider also - live in the first cottage I bought out here 20 some yrs ago - have owned many here but always kept this one because it has an association dock and a view of all the boats that launch from the DNR ramp. Little place in the Chippewa Resort. Was an exhibit/trade show rep out of GR for many years and bought/restored cottages out here in spare time. Now I just design/build 1 per year on spec and pray for a buyer! If you get a chance ck out 386 Big Bay Dr.- sums up my work.
Are you in Crosswinds? I thought I saw an Active poking out of a garage in there last summer. I kind of miss all the offshore boats that used to be out of here - SNAFU, SOO BAD, INSATIABLE, MINE, 168TH AIRBORNE ,CATNIP, etc.. we used to do some wild "pickle" runs. But hey it ain't over - been seeing alot more big Skaters, PQ's, and Cigs. Right now all I have is 185 PQ - see PQ section for pics. Plan is to build a long heated garage this year then do an older Cig or Magnum project. Meanwhile, we gotta work on Formula1's wife - convince her how beautiful that soft white Lake Effect snow is! Joe
Meanwhile, we gotta work on Formula1's wife - convince her how beautiful that soft white Lake Effect snow is!
Actually Joe, it's me you gotta convince! Although, if I know I gotta lot of OSO people to help me get settled in, it might make things a little easier!

Need some help building cottages? Maybe we could start something and I won't have to sweat the job search too much
Old 01-07-2005, 12:54 PM
Registered

If you have to be near Detroit...and have the loot...Oakland county(borders city of Detroit) north of Big Beaver. Most of the auto executives live in Oakland county in the Long Lake/Woodward area. I'm sure this will be controversial but....Oakland county(more north) is more desirable than Macomb county, with the exception of Jefferson Ave(on lake St. Clair) in eastern Macomb county. St. Clair shores(in Macomb county) (bordering the lake..including the "nautical mile") seems to be a good value.

Oakland county has more hills, inland lakes, curvy roads, varied architecture (a couple of Frank Lloyd Wright houses), and a far better shopping mall (Somerset) than Macomb county, which is relatively flat, with more spec home production (including the northern Macomb). Macomb county is a little more blue collar.

Regarding the schools....there's a sayin' "Oakland county residents don't have to send their kids to private school.....they have rich public schools'. In Macomb county, the Utica school district is considered the best(public). Most people (if they have the resources) who live in Macomb tend to migrate to northern Macomb county (mostly new construction).

People in this area seem comfortable with longer commutes (45 min and up).
Old 01-07-2005, 01:13 PM
Registered

Hey Formula,
Im from Michigan and i love it. Im an east sider right by lake St.Clair, home to some awesome boating. The great lakes are a great place to boat and they seem endless. I agree the winters are kinda long but if you get into hunting, ice fishing , snowmobiling theres plenty to do all year round. Winter is also a good time to wrench on your boat and get things just right for spring.(also a good time to save up some gas money). Dont knock it till ya try it. You wont see all these Michiganders puttin it down when its 85 and sunny.
Old 01-07-2005, 01:44 PM
Registered

Well after checking realtor.com, it seems that the Michiganders got the Winter down pat with seemingly most homes having 3+ car garages and most with detached ones as well!! The detached ones are even heated too! So, you could spend alot of time tinkering all winter long!

Maybe I could negotiate a pair of new 502's for the Formula for my trouble getting her to MI, then call all my fellow MI OSO'rs to help installing them as we pass the winter away!
Old 01-07-2005, 02:46 PM
Registered

Talking Re: Headed to MI, any suggestions or comments?

Originally Posted by Dono
You wont see all these Michiganders puttin it down when its 85 and sunny.

yeah...on Wednesday.

50/50 chance for rain on the weekend.

Quick Reply: Headed to MI, any suggestions or comments?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.