Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Dually owner questions and Flood Vehicles... >

Dually owner questions and Flood Vehicles...

Notices

Dually owner questions and Flood Vehicles...

Old 01-08-2005, 02:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Dually owner questions and Flood Vehicles...

Originally Posted by R Addiction
Thats the difference......so get a crew duramax/allison 2wd and you get even more gvw!! Not worth it if you ask me......slipppery ramps suck!!
Yes they do, as does driving a 2 wheel dually in the snow. Get the 4X4.
Old 01-08-2005, 02:29 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

pull the door panel and roll the window up.

If it's a flood truck, there will be a grimy waterline inside the door. Nobody ever cleans in there, even though it's just a 15 minute job.

With that said, I know a guy who has been buying water damage cars for years. He has developed a knack for drying them out. He buys KNOWN flood damage cars with clean titles. He is always sure to locate the water line and will not buy if the ECM itself has been underwater (or the oil fill or the dash/climate control units). and then he cleans them up, removes the interior, unplugs all the connectors. Sets up table fans and dehumidifiers and dries them out in a small rented warehouse two at a time. Then he puts them together and drives them for at least 6 months to sort out the bugs.

Then he sells em.
He's gotten to where he specializes in Audi turbos and Dodge trucks. I guess because he has found that he gets the best deals on those for some reason.

He, his wife, his two daughters, and his son all drive flood damaged vehicles. then they send em on down the line. I asked him one day if he had trouble sleeping by selling flood cars to people and he said Nope. When I sell em they are well sorted out. He's not had any of them come back to my knowledge. This guy is an individual. Not a dealer.
Old 01-08-2005, 04:49 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz

I'm gonna take another good look at the Dually tonight.
The Avalanche is for sale again. First $20K firm takes it home.
I'll give you 18K Cash for that ugly azz truck! Serious biz
Old 01-08-2005, 05:07 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sydwayz

Q1: Has anyone bought the extended cab when they really wanted the crew, and regreted it? If so, why?

Q2: Is the extended cab with a slightly shorter wheelbase compared to the crew cab; any easier to maneuver when NOT towing? Or is the difference negligible? I imagine its almost no different.

Q3: The 2001 was the first year for the Duramax. Should I steer clear? It does have a 100K mile engine warranty from GM.
I have a 01 F250 Crew long bed that I "was" going to trade in this week for a 05 F350 Ext cab, 6 3/4' bed. Just couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger as they sat side by side in the lot (I just liked nmy current truck better than the new). I hate to give up the crew for the ext. I look at the longer wheelbase as a MAJOR advantage on the road over the shorter wheelbase of the truck I was looking at. I am on the highway alot and the ride doesn't compare, the long wheelbase is better albeit maneuvering is limited and finding parking spaces can suck big time. The 01 was the first year for the duramax and is why I bought the powerstroke at the time. I'm not sure about GM's powertrain warrenty but I would guess it is 100K/5yrs so while you may be way under in miles your not in years
Old 01-09-2005, 01:11 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

Well ??? Did you buy it??
Old 01-10-2005, 05:42 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brian, If its the money then get the truck but if you can hold out and find a crew-cab do it.
I think that you will be much happier with the added room that it gives you. If you are like me pulling the boat aways sometimes and have 4 adults, it is alot better.

Good luck,
Old 01-10-2005, 09:18 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Sydwayz,

I just got back from San Antonio with a super clean '02 F250 crew cab, 4x4,Lariat, diesel, short bed that I bought from texascarguys.com in Lubbock, TX. They delivered it to San Antonio for free. It was cleaner than represented, 45k miles for $26,500. Wait for the crew cab. There is a big difference in comfort level. I almost broke down and bought an extended cab because I was getting anxious. Glad I didn't. Call Scott at texascarguys.com and tell him Frank sent you. He is honest and deals with clean cars. He will find you the right truck for the right price. Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails Dually owner questions and Flood Vehicles...-left-front2.jpg   Dually owner questions and Flood Vehicles...-drivers-seat.jpg   Dually owner questions and Flood Vehicles...-rear-seat.jpg  

Old 01-10-2005, 09:27 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Yeah, I backed off the deal. I like the truck, but it wasn't perfect. Couple that with I got pretty ill this weekend, and am not up for driving 1600 miles from SAT to DC this week.
Old 01-10-2005, 09:52 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

it sounded like a flood truck from last year my TX truck has no rust, also clean floor mats