Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Newbie Powerboater (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/94116-newbie-powerboater.html)

Lance19 01-09-2005 02:59 PM

Newbie Powerboater

Hi everyone,

I'm just wondering what's a good size and engine choice for a beginning performance powerboater? My father and I have experience around Bass boats and Jon boats, but never anything on the lines of 25ft or bigger. Let alone anything beyond an outboard. However, we're both into offshore races and would like to pick up a performance boat to cruise around with and gain experience. My father doesn't want anything that will require a ton of upkeep either. As for price, below $50,000 if possible.

I'm just looking for suggestions and ideas here more than anything. I don't post much on here, usually just read and browse around.

Thanks everyone,
Lance

Wasabe 01-09-2005 03:20 PM

Re: Newbie Powerboater

1 Attachment(s)
Welcome to OSO!
Oh and to answer your queston

CMG 01-09-2005 03:21 PM

how does your dad feel about 60 gals per hour?

waterheater 01-09-2005 03:23 PM

[QUOTE=Lance19]Hi everyone,

I'm just looking for suggestions and ideas here more than anything. I don't post much on here, usually just read and browse around.

You mean lurk. :D Welcome to OSO.

Lofty 01-09-2005 03:25 PM

Welcome to OSO!

There are plenty of boats under 50k. Try a Donzi 22 classic. That'll give you the thrill, teach you to drive a performance boat and won't brake the bank.

mcollinstn 01-09-2005 03:26 PM

You need to tell us where you plan to boat and how you plan to boat.

In general, a 27' single engine big block boat with 400+ hp is a good place to start.

If you want to be able to hammer true 2' chop in comfort at 55 mph all day long, then go with a 30' twin big block boat.

You'll be able to find a 2000 model year single in your price range that is a good boat with good resale.

You'll be able to find an early 90's twin in your price range.

60 gallons per hour is correct in a 30+ foot twin at 65mph.

RollWithIt 01-09-2005 03:27 PM

Wasabe, nice thought. But he said below 50K. Tough to find Cigs that are in top condition under that price. Believe me, I've been lookin.

Lance, there are plenty of boats around that would fill your need perfectly. Personally I would not recommend getting anything under 24/25 foot. For a first boat you dont want to go too expensive or too big. Get your feet wet for a year or so then step up in size and cost. Look in the 24 to 28/30 range. Start with a single engine then step up to twins. Believe me, after about a year you will be ready to anyways. Its better to go too little than too much on your first boat.

Also, welcome to the board.

BajaFresh 01-09-2005 03:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
HHHmmmmm, I'm thinking Cigarette. Maybe, say 28 feet with twin small blocks (cheap on gas, maintenance). One with new paint, interior, engines, drive. trailer, etc. Easy to tow but handles big water like a 38 footer. I wonder where you could find a boat like that for sale under $30K?

Oh, wait. I know.... :D :D :D

RollWithIt 01-09-2005 03:43 PM

Ok. I stand corrected. Keep forgetting about the Cig 28s. Just not too common.

Lofty 01-09-2005 04:03 PM

There's a clean one in Boat Trader now. I know the boat and it hauls azz! I think the guy wants 30k. A deal for wath you're getting.