Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Selling parts Internationally (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/94192-selling-parts-internationally.html)

p4-33 01-10-2005 11:05 AM

Selling parts Internationally

A guy is interested in buying a set of props of mine offered in the Swap Section. He lives in Sweden. Now that we have the price and shipping worked out, we're trying to figure out how to make the monitary transaction. He's asked for my bank account number... Sorry, wrong answer.

Does anyone have experience with PayPal? Are there charges involved with each transaction? What other methods are you folks using to transfer funds. I've asked for a good ole cashier's check, but he's resisting. I'm pretty sure the guy's legit, I just want to do this right.

Anything else I need to know about shipping parts overseas? Duties? Export paperwork?

Thanks in advance,
Brian

boss252 01-10-2005 11:11 AM

Re: Selling parts Internationally

I use Paypal all the time. They will charge you a few percent of the total price. Then a few dollars to send you a check. I have never had a problem using them.

Good Luck

bermudaboy 01-10-2005 11:40 AM

When I buy parts overseas, all I do is ask for wire transfer information. I have never had any problems doing it this way, and neither has the seller. It is a bank to bank transaction and is very common in buying parts this way.

You can also use a credit card, I believe that this has some sort of fraud insurance though the credit card company.

Cheers,

Andy

GregP 01-10-2005 11:53 AM

Go to your bank and open a seperate un-linked account to receive wire transfers.

-Greg

Manos 01-10-2005 12:04 PM

I buy a lot spares and electronics from the US all the time for our boats and engines. We either use PayPal or VISA. Mostly is VISA.
I think Sweden is advanced enough to use VISA too.
May be if the mount is over his CC limit then he has to transfer the money by wire transfer in which case his request is valid.

X-Rated30 01-10-2005 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by GregP
Go to your bank and open a seperate un-linked account to receive wire transfers.

-Greg

I agree, and you'll probably get a free toaster out of the deal... :cool: :drink:

Lofty 01-10-2005 01:09 PM

Brian, If it's Jonas (38KV) that you're selling to just give him your account #. I've dealt with him before and he's a stand up guy. In fact, I will personally stand behind him. If it's someone you don't know then have him have his bank issue an "Irrevocable Letter of Credit". These are very standard and will protect you BOTH from fraud.

Let me know if you need any help with any of this. I do international transactions on a daily basis and can walk you through the whole thing.

Fionn

BTW. Thanks for all the good advise on Konrad. I went ahead and pulled the trigger!

Cigaretteman 01-10-2005 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by p4-33
A guy is interested in buying a set of props of mine offered in the Swap Section. He lives in Sweden. Now that we have the price and shipping worked out, we're trying to figure out how to make the monitary transaction. He's asked for my bank account number... Sorry, wrong answer.

Does anyone have experience with PayPal? Are there charges involved with each transaction? What other methods are you folks using to transfer funds. I've asked for a good ole cashier's check, but he's resisting. I'm pretty sure the guy's legit, I just want to do this right.

Anything else I need to know about shipping parts overseas? Duties? Export paperwork?

Thanks in advance,
Brian

Hi Brian

I am in Denmark right next door to Sweden, let me know who the guy is and I might know him. If I know him I will let you know, if it some one I will give you thumbs up or down. I am sure that GLH and 10x here on the board will tell you that I am okay.

Just ship the stuff when you get the money, the shipping company will handle all the paperwork.

Cigaretteman

GLH 01-10-2005 04:41 PM

I'll vouch for any thing or any dealings you want to do where Jesper/Cigaretteman givesh is blessing.

p4-33 01-10-2005 04:44 PM

Thanks everyone. Like I said, I'm pretty sure the buyer is legitimate, so I won't drag his name into this. The thread was more about making safe international transactions.

I think PayPal is the ticket, he's fine with it and I am too, now.

Thanks again,
Brian