Notices

FLying inflatables

Old 01-12-2005, 08:28 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default FLying inflatables

Anyone have or been in one of these?
http://www.medboat.com/watertoys/flyrib_photo.shtml
looks like it will be a lot of fun. I wonder what the restrictions are for liscensing, etc.
Old 01-12-2005, 08:52 PM
AKA "BAZOOKA JOE"
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: FLying inflatables

2 years ago they were flying around convention center and biscane bay marina showing them pretty cool
Old 01-12-2005, 09:37 PM
Registered

Lostinboston,
Learning to fly a trike about 20 hours. I got out of flying trikes about 3years ago. They are considered Ultralights & there are several regulations. Sport pilot, no medical, air space restrictions.The problem with the inflatable boat under you is that your vision is very limited under you.The boat creates a lot of air resistance. They are slow & bulky. I got bored flying these trikes as they are relatively slow in the flying world. If memory serves me right those trikes cruise at less than 45mph air speed. I could cruise at 60mph & with 30mph headwind...you don't go far very fast. A trike can be a blast to fly, as close to a birds flight. My wife would only fly with me in the early mornings, nothing like getting in a thermal & being lifted a couple hundred feet in split seconds....& then theres nothing like the feeling, flying home in bad weather & dropping like a rock The Polaris/ boat trike had a couple mishaps. About 2 years ago on Bradenton Beach Fl, the wing collapsed on one these rigs....the passenger was seen jumping out at 600'. Having flown trikes to an Instructor level, I would say look at the Maxair Drifters with floats. The handle well & are extremely durable. If you come this way (Tampa Fl) I will arrange a flight for ya in Trike or you can try a Drifter.
John
PS Took a look at you old Pantera the other week, nice boat.
Old 01-12-2005, 10:05 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Johno
Lostinboston,
Learning to fly a trike about 20 hours. I got out of flying trikes about 3years ago. They are considered Ultralights & there are several regulations. Sport pilot, no medical, air space restrictions.The problem with the inflatable boat under you is that your vision is very limited under you.The boat creates a lot of air resistance. They are slow & bulky. I got bored flying these trikes as they are relatively slow in the flying world. If memory serves me right those trikes cruise at less than 45mph air speed. I could cruise at 60mph & with 30mph headwind...you don't go far very fast. A trike can be a blast to fly, as close to a birds flight. My wife would only fly with me in the early mornings, nothing like getting in a thermal & being lifted a couple hundred feet in split seconds....& then theres nothing like the feeling, flying home in bad weather & dropping like a rock The Polaris/ boat trike had a couple mishaps. About 2 years ago on Bradenton Beach Fl, the wing collapsed on one these rigs....the passenger was seen jumping out at 600'. Having flown trikes to an Instructor level, I would say look at the Maxair Drifters with floats. The handle well & are extremely durable. If you come this way (Tampa Fl) I will arrange a flight for ya in Trike or you can try a Drifter.
John
PS Took a look at you old Pantera the other week, nice boat.
Thanks for the info. Is there a website where i can check out the Drifter? I'll be in Ft lauderdale a lot this winter, maybe if i have time ill head out to tampa to check them out.

I really liked that boat, took a while to get it customized like that, but it was time for something faster.
Old 01-12-2005, 10:41 PM
Registered

Here's a coupla Drifter pic's with Lotus floats
http://www.ultraflites.com/maxair_photos.htm
http://www.ultraflites.com/

Flying Ultralights is really inexpensive compared to real aircraft. If done with safety in mind, no problem. Check out the above sight..some more info.
Most folks will tell to stay clear of Polaris/inflatable boat. I would't mind getting a Drifter & start flying again.
Later John