Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Give me your best lines for selling your spouse on an Offshore Performance boat >

Give me your best lines for selling your spouse on an Offshore Performance boat

Notices

Give me your best lines for selling your spouse on an Offshore Performance boat

Old 01-14-2005, 10:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Give me your best lines for selling your spouse on an Offshore Performance boat

Honey, you'll see much less of me if you let me buy this" That's reality for me, she doesn't really like boating so her opinion will obviously be slanted or biased ... that 'opinion' must be thrown out
Old 01-14-2005, 10:49 PM
Registered

Default Re: Give me your best lines for selling your spouse on an Offshore Performance boat

Originally Posted by Steve_H
its an all day deal to go anywhere in a cruiser.
you can go from the 7mm to big dicks and back in a few of hours in a performance boat and have lunch while your there. if you take the cruiser she will have to cook lunch and dinner along the way

something else you could try:

mid afternoon , saturday , memorial day weekend , take her for a ride in a single engine small cruiser.

4 days later , take her for a ride in that formula you want
Steve, that's a great approach...that will probably seal the deal! We've seen so little of the lake because of the boat we have now, that will appeal to her.

BTW, for those who suggested to "just do it", she is my wife, partner, & best friend (we just celebrated our 25th anniversary last week). If she is firmly against something (doesn't happen very often if you could see my toys), I won't do it, not because I can't, but out of respect for her wishes.
Old 01-14-2005, 11:43 PM
CBR
www.hyperfishing.com
Platinum Member

Cobarry, Steve H is right. How my wife was sold on the idea of gofasts: 1) 80 MPH test ride on a warm flat calm day 2) article in a boating mag called Fast Food, where a woman drove a Scarab (I think) 150 miles from Miami to Key West, stopping for lunch along the way and dinner in Key West, remarking frequently that a slower boat would never be able to duplicate this. She was enjoying lunch while a slower boat was only halfway there.

The last is true and we finally did it ourselves in the Miami to Key West Poker run. Now the wife is the prime mover behind our desire to do the Miami to Bahamas Poker Run!

Once and a while she complains about the "bouncing" in our 30 footer, but we have been through big storms cruising all over the Northeast, and frankly, sometimes I would have been happier on DJDs 50 foot Bertram boat also. <gg> But, there is no way we could have covered the huge cruising area in the limited time of two busy professionals otherwise. She knows that she would not have been dining in Nantuckett and Newport had we owned a slower boat.

But, if you want to bring friends aboard the boat will be too small unless they are VERY good friends and used to camping in a pup tent, or staying in a hotel when you reach your destination.

Last edited by CBR; 01-15-2005 at 12:07 AM.
Old 01-15-2005, 07:07 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by waterheater
Just tell her you're doing it and tough sh*t

Yaaa! Ok big boy.
Old 01-15-2005, 09:54 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

COberry:

I boat LOTO from our family condo at the 3MM, and pass the 7MM several times each boating weekend. I have a Formula 302 (similar to the 336 in real length) and my father has a 330 SS. I feel qualified to point out some things to both you and your wife.

The 330ss is nice. The cuddy is no larger than a go fast, but the head is larger. that may be a factor to her. We've loaded over a dozen people in it comfortably, but it is cramped at that level. Here's the reality you two will face: It does not ride smooth where you boat unless you go slow. I doubt any cruiser in the size you're looking for will. During the week it's fine, but so is an 18' bowrider. From about the 5MM to the 25MM, you'll face 3 foot waves during most weekends. You'll never be scared in it, as Formula builds a wonderfully strong boat, but it lacks the deadrise of a gofast, and it is wider. Both lead to a rougher ride on plane. As my boat was a restoration project, and I waited over a year for the engines, I've spent many hours on the 330, and was lucky to have it available. I've cruised to Big Dicks in it for a OSO gathering (past the 25MM it smooths out, and we had a nice time), and often take older family members out in it because it's easier for them to board, and is more civilized at slower speeds than a go fast. But when I want to go somewhere in comfort, it is in my boat. Once the 302 was restored enough we could use it, LOTO opened up for us. We didn't realize how we restricted where we went, distant wise, because of the beating we took, or the time required in the 330. There are thousands of miles of shoreline, and over a hundred miles of lake to explore, but for you it all starts from the 7MM, and you'll have to endure the rough water around you to get anywhere.

On the other hand: the go fast can carry 4 in comfort, 5 okay, and 6 is pushing it for a long cruise. Just going out to eat?, sardine them. It's no problem. But to spend the day cruising around, more than 4 starts to get snug. Some go fasts are loud and scary to people afraid of power, speed, and noise. My wife would like mine quieter, and I would too, but have you priced mufflers?!!! Geezzzzzze.

What kind of car does she drive? If it's a cute little non-threatening model, you're probably out of luck. If iher car's at all sporty, she may realize the cruiser is not what she wants it to be for her. There are some women who would rather be matronly grandmothers than youthful sporty gals. This often unrealized preference can find its way into boat selection.

Here's a wild idea: But the 336 AND a large pontoon boat! I'm not kidding. If Dad ever decided to sell the 330ss and get out of boating, that's what I'd do. They don't have to cost much, and with an outboard they can be used during nice winter days when the I/O's are winterized. We used to have a 28 footer, that we bought because of a family member who required a wheel chair. I thought pontoons were "old fart" boats, but gladly approved of the pontoon because of the wheel chair. Now I'm a convert. Ended up loving it. It's like a hammock on the water, lots of room for many people, smooth ride in up to 2' waves, basically it was party central. Kids loved raftng on it, it could pull a skier, and was easy to drive. I don't like them enough to get one instead of a gofast as an only boat, as you are still limited where and when you can go due to waves (community bridge to the 20MM on a weekend would be suicide. probably capsize the pontoon) and it's not as much fun as a sport boat. Note: in rough water, weight distribution and driver skill is important to keep them dry.

What you two really need to do is figure out exactly what aspects of boating are important to you, and what parts are distasteful. You may need to borrow rides on many different kinds of boats to find one that best fits you both, or consider the two boat option. Let me know if I can help here. Also, a nice LOTO family here on OSO (Lutz Party and his wife Miss Amy) used to have a Sea Ray Sundancer on LOTO, about a 30 footer I think. A Year or so ago they traded it for a Formula 311. You might want to contact them for their views.

Finally, that was real cool what you said about your wife and the respect you showed her. Congrats on the 25th.
Old 01-15-2005, 10:04 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by waterheater
Just tell her you're doing it and tough sh*t
This from a guy p.whipped into putting his wife on his avatar...
Old 01-15-2005, 10:25 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

more room for the kids......
Old 01-15-2005, 10:30 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When young couples would come into Everglades Marina to buy their first boat together I would tell them:

"This boat is going to bring you two closer together or drive you farther apart."
Old 01-15-2005, 10:32 AM
Registered

Chart,

Thanks for the great insights. We currently have an inboard ski boat, and during the week we can move around more but I still won't wander too far from home in it. On weekends we go out early, and if we decide to go to dinner it's at 20 mph tops to keep the bow up. It's an open bow with a turned down nose, and we've taken water over it a couple of times when I wasn't paying attention. That won't happen again!

She drives and races a Corvette, so she's completely into the high performance idea. Her reason for wanting the cruiser is totally selfless; she's thinking about when friends and family come down, and wants to be able to take a crowd out on the lake. Maybe the pontoon idea, in addition to a go-fast, will work. I'll talk to her about that.

Barry
Old 01-15-2005, 10:48 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CObarry
Steve, that's a great approach...that will probably seal the deal! We've seen so little of the lake because of the boat we have now, that will appeal to her.

BTW, for those who suggested to "just do it", she is my wife, partner, & best friend (we just celebrated our 25th anniversary last week). If she is firmly against something (doesn't happen very often if you could see my toys), I won't do it, not because I can't, but out of respect for her wishes.
Ok get it together now!!! one minute you are being real honest to your 25 year wife, and blasting the others for saying to just buy it...then you totally think steves little idea with all the hidden trickery is great, which it is. Now you tell us she drives and races a vet and that she is being selfless... what kind of boat do YOU want...sounds to me like she is doing pretty good already!

Quick Reply: Give me your best lines for selling your spouse on an Offshore Performance boat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.