Notices

Boat show Prices?

Old 01-18-2005, 02:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Boat show Prices?

I think the big exception comes in with the custom boats, where there aren't any local dealers, and really barely any dealers at all.

Otherwise I agree with the buying local thing. And if the local guy is smart just tell him you can buy the same boat from Company "X" for this price and see if he wants the sale. It would be smart to keep local people as clientel for future business and word of mouth in my opinion. DK
Old 01-18-2005, 02:46 PM
Registered

Most of us will agree that the dealers often place inflated prices on their display boats.

I asked a dealer friend of mine why he had inflated prices on his boats while he would routinely accept much less ... he said that most of the deals (4/5) were sold well below "sticker" but about 1 in 5 deals involved a novice buyer offering $2,000-$5000 less than "sticker" and saying that he would not pay a penny more! On those deals he would make a HUGE profit to justify the practice. Since most folks don't buy the exact same boat, and it is often considered "taboo" to discuss prices, that guy that got raped could make the same mistake several times and actually feel that he got a great deal. Good for him (and the dealer) since the rest of us can pay less, as a result.
Old 01-18-2005, 03:22 PM
Registered

You can get your new BMW or new car serviced at any dealer anywhere in the USA and get excellent service especially on the imports that is the way the dealer networks are set up. You cant make that comparison with boat service. If I can save 5K on a BMW 2-3 hours down the road Iam gonna do it, and they will service that car in your local area as if you bought it from that dealer. My lexus dealer and mercedes dealer have never cared where the car was purchased and always have given me excellent service..Now my boat that I bought down the road 2-3 hours away is gonna get serviced 2-3 hours away.....
Old 01-18-2005, 03:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by buyafountain.com
..... I just bought a new BMW for my wife. Paid about 1800 more for the car locally. I could have driven 2.5 hrs and paid less, but the service is important. I made the right decision. In 60 days the car has been back for service 3X!!! Each time they pick it up and bring a loaner. That convenience alone is worth doing business locally. If I bought the car from the dealer 2.5 hrs away I would have wasted in - in drive time alone - 16 hours on the road. 1800 divided by 16 is 113/hr. I think I got off cheap.

My .02
I bought a new VW Passat in 2000 at a SI, New York dealership and lived 2 hrs away in NJ and VW was willing to service and honor all my warranty, loaners, etc in NJ. Why would BMW be any different ... especially at prices they're charging?

BTW what model did you buy buyafountain?? Was back 3x in 60 days and loaners needed sounds like a piece O $hit to me!

But I do 'get' yer point
Old 01-18-2005, 04:45 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

buyafountain.com
comparing boats to cars in this respect is absolutely insane.

Face it...a good majority of us do our own maintenence and even warranty work if UPS'd the parts, because it is more common than not to get incomplete or bozo/trash my boat service anyway...you know it and I know it. That's why the exceptions to this get so much press!
So what the hell is dealer loyalty worth anyway?? It's a nationwide economy now, and the manufacturers know it too. You buy a quality product from a reputable builder and there most likely gonna see to it you get taken care of, if you can't do it yourself...regardless of where you bought it.

I didn't say every Tom and Harry that walks in can buy at those prices, but I have more than once! But I'm only one guy, the next five that come in may not have the money or the credit at the ready, the talk, the knowledge, or the balls to make it happen...so they will cover his supposed loss on me many times over.
It's also about units, and total sales dollars to make those tiers for discounts...why don't you fill us in on how that works?
That is for those of us who don't already know.
Alot of times if that one more 200K unit puts you over the top to the next discount level on the next five boats you order...what kind of cash is that worth???
Old 01-18-2005, 06:06 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This is a good thread.

But how about another question.
On a used boat, how much do you list it for OVER what you're really willing to take?
This may be a touchy subject, I'm sure we all want to get as much as we can for our listed boat, but from a buyer's perspective, what's a reasonable offer?
I would feel more uncomfortable about going too low on an offer to , say, someone else on the board vs. a dealer, but of course I want the best deal I can get as well. If you are another performance boater that is "known" ( It's a small community, and there are many of "us" nationally on this board) I wouldn't want to offend with a low ball offer, but still want the best price.
Any opininoins?
Old 01-18-2005, 07:14 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

When I have listed boats, I rarely leave 10%. After a few months, that usually changes.....
Virtually every used boat i bought was around 20%- 30% off asking.
Old 01-18-2005, 07:39 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by thosetwins
You can get your new BMW or new car serviced at any dealer anywhere in the USA and get excellent service especially on the imports that is the way the dealer networks are set up. You cant make that comparison with boat service. If I can save 5K on a BMW 2-3 hours down the road Iam gonna do it, and they will service that car in your local area as if you bought it from that dealer. My lexus dealer and mercedes dealer have never cared where the car was purchased and always have given me excellent service..Now my boat that I bought down the road 2-3 hours away is gonna get serviced 2-3 hours away.....
Yes,you can service your BMW,Audi,Porsche,etc anywhere,but,you definitately get better service from where the car was purchased.When there is a part that is back ordered and unavailable,I will disable one of my new cars to get the customer on the road.If you did not buy the car from me,it will sit untill the part comes in.We just go the extra distance for someone who has spent their hard-earned $$with us.It is foolish not to do business locally,when possible.

Last edited by pm203; 01-18-2005 at 07:42 PM.
Old 01-18-2005, 07:40 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts

If the dealer says no you have to be willing to walk and try another dealer. I had made an offer on a 272 Formula that had a MSRP of $99,000.00 in July. His selling season was over. I made an offer of $70,000.00 he said no and I walked. He came out to my car and said he could do the deal. The money in the bank is making more than the glass on the floor.
Old 01-18-2005, 09:24 PM
Registered

Bottom line, cash talks always has and always will!! If a certain dealer won't take it another will I always go into a deal looking at it like that. If you don't buy it for the price you think is fair you'll only regret it that much more later!!!

Quick Reply: Boat show Prices?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.