Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
o/t-- anyone ever apply for a design patent?? >

o/t-- anyone ever apply for a design patent??

Notices

o/t-- anyone ever apply for a design patent??

Old 01-16-2005, 02:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: o/t-- anyone ever apply for a design patent??

It is different from "patent pending". You still have to pony up the big bucks to file a patent if the idea is something you want to pursue.If you doa google search for provisional patent you will find lots of good info. It is also called provisional application. If you are 10k sure the idea will fly then I wouldn't bother, just do the real deal now. I am a mechanical engineer and use MCAD everyday and if I can help you out let me know. Since you don't know me and I see your are concerned about the concept getting stolen, I will sign a non disclosure if that helps alleviate any concern.
Old 01-16-2005, 02:51 PM
Registered

Tell us what it is, what it does, and how it works. It would also help if you could post any preliminary drawings, specs, etc.
Old 01-16-2005, 03:09 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you haven't been here; http://www.uspto.gov/

Then you need to now. An international patent is a completely separate process. Someone else can easily build or copy your design and are not restricted just because you hold a US patent.

The US patent office will NOT enforce a US patent. They are just record keepers not police. Therein lies the problem, you need to KNOW if someone is copying your design and you must SHOW A LOSS. This means that someone can copy your patented design and use it as long as it does not cause a loss to you. Understand? Patents are widely misunderstood as offering a designer protection against copying ones design. They do not.

The other problem with patents is that your design becomes a matter of public domain. It will be published for everyone to see. This makes it possible for someone to come in and take your design, re-design the idea and remove your "novel and patented" idea out of it. Many companies such as 3M, don't ever patent anything, they just keep there processes very very secret.

My advice to you is to quietly build your widget, market it and make as much as you can as quickly as possible before someone steals your design.
Old 01-16-2005, 03:17 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: o/t-- anyone ever apply for a design patent??

Originally Posted by open72
i have a product to bring to the retail market ,i need to get a patent # and trademark. how much of the pita is this process??? any info is greatly appreciated.

will have a OSO discount for members when products are manufactured.

You have a PM
Old 01-16-2005, 03:38 PM
Registered

Received 293 Likes on 107 Posts

lofty , ya bringing me down bro. what i am reading could very well happen. i'm sure that it would be real easy for a large company to buy 1 and steal it. oh man , it's really A kick a$$ item. i wolud hope to market it "made in usa ". i don't know if someone stealing the design would want to take the luxury / baller model because each one is built or optioned to the customers specs - color , material ,"bling" options , corporate logo , player#'s, school names , etc now the original would be easy to splash , as it would have generic color and features. i got a tough decsion to make .

thanks all , and i will keep those who offered help in mind. man , the power of OSO.
Old 01-16-2005, 03:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by rouxsterre
Tell us what it is, what it does, and how it works. It would also help if you could post any preliminary drawings, specs, etc.

it's a set of hydryualic lifters , lifetime warrenty , can operate at 6250 rpms for hours at a time , on pump gas with 10 lbs of boost !

not!!
Old 01-16-2005, 06:54 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

One thing for sure, just because it's patented, doesn't mean it's buildable or will work. It's just theory and some drawings.
Old 01-16-2005, 07:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Ron P
One thing for sure, just because it's patented, doesn't mean it's buildable or will work. It's just theory and some drawings.

it is buildable and will sell , it would work great for you and photography , and could be personalized with your own design. the patent would be to protect it ( or i thought it would ) i have seen way to much splashing of other components in the aftermarket automotive parts and that is what i don't like . i thought a patent would protect it but that seems not to be the case.
Old 01-16-2005, 08:22 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say just start pumping them out ..
Old 01-16-2005, 09:12 PM
Registered

Smile Re: o/t-- anyone ever apply for a design patent??

Here's a link to a patent that I've been awarded for a gun lock. I've got two others "in process" now for the same invention that provide additional protections. It's all been done through a very good "Intellectual Property" firm. Believe me , there are strategies to patent law and you defintiely want the help a professional if you're serious.

Link to My Patent on USPTO Site

Below is a link to the website I've put together for the invention covered by the patent. I'm currently trying to generate some interest for a licensing agreement. I'm going to be exhibiting the prototype at the "Shot Show" in Las Vegas in a couple weeks.

www.tac-lock.com

Regarding invention promoters - BE CAREFUL!!! I agree that most just want is to sell you their "package" with very little hope of ever making the $$$ back. I'm handling the promotion of mine myself until someone can show me a better way. I've invested about $30,000 so far in patenting and protoype development. If it sells great. If it doesn't, it's no more than I'd lose on the first year of depreciation for a new a new Nortech, Skater, Cigarette, Formula, Baja, (insert name of your favorite boat here), etc!!!

It still needs to be refined and improved to be made market ready. If anyone has any connections to help get my invention to the market let me know. I'm all ears!

Sorry for boring you guys with my "quest"...

Jeff

Last edited by jbrauer; 09-17-2007 at 07:46 PM.