Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Whippled Or Procharged 496 Owners Please (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/94679-whippled-procharged-496-owners-please.html)

FASTERDAMITT 01-18-2005 04:04 PM

Whippled Or Procharged 496 Owners Please

I have'nt seen anyone post how many hours they have seen on thier 496 supercharged before major problems arrise. Everybody has heard the do's and donots but whats the facts. Justin seems to believe in his package, so does ATI for that matter. Any owners out there???

Sydwayz 01-18-2005 04:16 PM

Re: Whippled Or Procharged 496 Owners Please

I am not sure Docmanrich37 even got the engine hatch back on his Baja before he blew his blown 496HO. :D

My suggestion, although I have no personal experience, is to go with a Raylar Package. It just seems like a more sound way to reliably pep up the 496.

Myself, I am going with extended warranties on the HOs and the XZs. I like going fast, but I am not racing, and I like spanking down my warranty card rather than my credit card.

FASTERDAMITT 01-18-2005 05:30 PM

That sucks about his Baja. Many factors involved. Kind of supercharger? ECU programmed? Cooling system big enough?
I know of a Procharged carbed 7.4 with cast pistons 7#'s boost for 350 hours so far. He was told it would last.... Go figure.

shadow 01-18-2005 06:29 PM

Whats going on Tom?
Raylar is the way to go!!!!!!!! Hands down.Whipple and Pro Charger make a great product but not to set up on the 496.There are several shops here in Havasu with gernaded 496's laying around.It's not a matter of if."It's when".
First hand experience with Raylar.We just installed a Raylar set up on my boat and gained 13-14mph and cut the time to plane in 1/2.If you've seen the 496 disassembled youd know why nothing is going to work as well as the Raylar stuff.
They are leaps and bounds ahead on this,and you mark my words Raylar is going to get huge in the industry very soon.

FASTERDAMITT 01-18-2005 06:57 PM

Shadow,
I saw your post and Ray's ealier. Great #'s. Those #'s sound more like a 130 HP increase. I bet your happy!

shadow 01-18-2005 08:21 PM

FasterDamitt,you know our boat.We are thrilled quicker plane time and top end.
Ray & larry delivered everything they promised and more.Being a mechanic myself they taught me alot in the few days i got to spend with them on this project.I only wish i could have learned more.These guys know what they are talking about.Anybody with questions that Ray and or Larry answer for you,trust me you can take what they say to the bank.
Tom be sure to tell sean about our upgrades and have him give me a call.Now i wanna go fasterdamitt! :D

496power 01-19-2005 01:35 AM

A friend of mine has a Baja 272 with 496 HO and Procharger with 3,5 pounds of boost

He gained 13 MPH with the package from 67 to 80 MPH

He is never going WOT for more than 2 minutes and he is very carefully accelerating .
He changed the drive to XR
He is running now a 30 ` Merc Lab finished Bravo One

See the test results (in knots) and some photos here
For the test there was a 26 lab finished Bravo one and he was always hitting the rev limiter

http://www.vibatagare.com/vib2002/vi...4_vib8_02.html

This side is in swedish but the speed results are easy to read.
I do not speak swedish !

Fuel Economy ? At WOT fuel consumption raised from 32 gal/h to 60 gal /h

The worst thing was : ATI said that it will work with the stock fuel system - IT WILL NOT - He had to ad two additional fuel pumps and a fuel reservoir - without the engines run far too lean and will not last very long

Proper installed and carefully driven this package might be ok but You shold upgrade to forged supercharger pistons and rods for a lower compression and at least change the exhaust valves to Inconel valves.

You can find them here

http://www.raylarengine.com/rings.htm

You can get a troublefree package and similar speed gains with Raylars package

KCHOTBOAT 01-19-2005 01:51 AM

I had a ProCharger tech support was close to nothing and they setup my blower or redid it because they felt they needed to after the boat was used in HOTBOAT mag.. I will not go into how bad they screwed up my boat. For tech support I would go with whipple and if I was in the market to buy a complete system I would buy Whipple over ProCharger.

FASTERDAMITT 01-19-2005 09:56 AM

It sounds like ProCharger is just offering a "at your risk" system. Whipple I beleive is more involved in research.
I plan on doing a complete build up if I get the 496, however since the boat will be done this spring I was thinking of running a Whipple for the summer and then next winter do a 700-800 build . I could also buy a engine from GT Performance and have it ready to drop in when I get the boat. I just prefer building my own.