EBAY, not such a great deal anymore

Notices

EBAY, not such a great deal anymore

Old 01-13-2005, 08:17 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts
Default EBAY, not such a great deal anymore

We are writing to let you know that effective midnight PST, February 18, 2005 eBay.com and eBay Motors will be making changes to the fee structure.

The fee changes are as follows:

Gallery: Gallery fees will be raised from $0.25 to $0.35 per listing. We will also be increasing the size of the Gallery image on search and listings pages by 56%. This will make it easier for buyers to see details of the item before clicking into the listing.

Buy It Now: Buy It Now fees will no longer be charged at a flat rate, and will instead be determined based on the Buy It Now price. Fees will be charged as follows:

Buy It Now Price Fee
$0.01 - 9.99 $0.05
$10 - 24.99 $0.10
$25 - 49.99 $0.20
$50+ $0.25

10-Day Duration: The fee for 10-day duration listings will be raised from $0.20 to $0.40 per listing.

eBay Stores: The fee for the Basic eBay Store subscription will be raised from $9.95 to $15.95 per month. The subscription fee for Featured and Anchor Stores will be unchanged.

eBay Store Inventory format listing insertion fees will remain unchanged. The Final Value Fee for Store Inventory items will change as follows:

Closing Price Old Price New Price
* $0.01 - $25 5.25% of the closing value 8% of the closing price
* $25.01 - $1,000 5.25% of the initial $25, plus 2.75% of the remaining closing value balance. 8% of the initial $25, plus 5% of the remaining closing value balance ($25.01 - $1000)

* Over $1,000 5.25% of the initial $25, plus 2.75% of the next $25.01-$1000, plus 1.50% of the remaining closing value balance ($1,000.01 - closing value). 8% of the initial $25, plus 5% of the next $25.01 - $1000, plus 3% of the remaining closing value balance ($1,000.01 - closing value).

Store sellers will continue to be eligible to receive 50% off of the Store Inventory listing final value fees for Store Referral credit. Please click here for details.

Insertion and Final Value Fees: The insertion and Final Value Fees will be changing for items listed in certain Business & Industrial categories. More details about the changes for these categories are provided below. The insertion and Final Value Fees in other categories will not be changing.

Business & Industrial Listings in Certain Categories: The Reserve, insertion and Final Value Fees will be changing for select high item price capital equipment categories in Business & Industrial. Please click here to view the capital equipment categories affected by the pricing change.

The fee changes for these capital equipment categories are as follows:

Reserve fee: Lowered to $5, refundable if the item sells
Insertion fee: Raised to $20, regardless of starting price
Final Value Fee: Lowered to a 1% flat fee, with a $250 maximum charge

Additional listing upgrade fees will remain the same as for eBay.com. Pricing for all other Business & Industrial listings outside the specified capital equipment categories will remain the same as for eBay.com.

eBay will also introduce Buyer Protection covering up to $20,000 per item in these capital equipment categories this spring. eBay will offer this Buyer Protection at no cost to the buyer or seller.

The following fee changes will apply to vehicle listings on eBay Motors.

Fee Changes for eBay Motors Vehicles Listings

Reserve: Reserve will be charged a $5 flat fee for all eBay Motors vehicles categories except Pocket Bikes. This fee will still be refundable if your item sells.

10-Day Listings: The fee for 10-day listings will be changed to $8 for all eBay Motors vehicles categories except Pocket Bikes.

Pocket Bikes Category: The insertion fee and Transaction Services Fee will be lowered from $30 to $3 each. The following fees will remain the same: Reserve ($2 flat fee, refundable if item sells), Gallery (free), Listing Designer ($5) and Highlight ($5). Motors HomePage Featured fee will be lowered to $24.95 and Vehicle Picture Pack fee will be lowered to $1.50. All other fees will be lowered to become the same as those for eBay Motors Parts & Accessories categories.

For more information about these fee changes, please see our Frequently Asked Questions.

Some international eBay sites have also changed their fee structures. To learn more, please check Announcements for the eBay site of interest.

We understand that fees directly impact our members, and take care to ensure that any decisions to change fees are made only after careful consideration of this impact. These changes will help us continue to sustain and develop a thriving global marketplace, while balancing the needs of our buyers and sellers around the world.

Regards,

eBay
Old 01-13-2005, 08:41 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: EBAY, not such a great deal anymore

Somebody start a site called "FreeBay."
Old 01-13-2005, 09:42 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Just got the email. I think it looks worse that it is since it's primarily % based fee's. BUt I haven't fully digested all the fee changes.
Old 01-13-2005, 12:00 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

8%!!! Then you have paypal fees! It's getting a little high don't ya think. If you sell low dollar items it's not so bad but, if I sold my boat, I would get nailed!

I guess you need to add 10%, or more, to the reserve price when listing to cover your A$$.
Old 01-14-2005, 02:32 AM
jtmiller02

Originally Posted by Panther
8%!!! Then you have paypal fees! It's getting a little high don't ya think. If you sell low dollar items it's not so bad but, if I sold my boat, I would get nailed!

I guess you need to add 10%, or more, to the reserve price when listing to cover your A$$.

For vehicles its a flat fee, but it is true, I have made a "lot" of money with ebay, however I will tell you this....after dealing with a few really really bad customers, and getting nickeled and dimed to death by ebay, your opinion of the "easy" money changes real quick.

Not saying I will never do biz through ebay again, however it is not the get-rich-quick people think it is...and it takes some real leg work for you to analyze the cost vs. profit of using ebay and many people give up soon after their first try. Like most businesses, if you are not "doubling" your money on each sale, (cost of item alone vs. sale price) you will have a hard time making anything.

Last edited by jtmiller02; 01-14-2005 at 02:34 AM.

Old 01-14-2005, 08:06 AM
Registered

Thumbs down Re: EBAY, not such a great deal anymore

Sounds like too much confusion on the rates. I would not spend 5 minutes figuring out how much i would have to pay ebay on my sale.
Old 01-14-2005, 05:38 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

I just use it to get rid of stuff that I'm not going to use anymore. For instance, I sold a TRS upper that I had laying around for several years. I sold my boat, don't have TRS anymore so it didn't make any sense to save it.

One case I got burned, I sold a Borg Warner Trans. Listed it, realized I screwed up on the reserve, went to go change it but someone had already bid on it. Someone got a good trans for $175 because I just spent $100 to put in new clutch plates.. ughhhh, oh well, it would have just sat in my basement collecting dust anyway.
Old 01-16-2005, 09:56 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That sucks I was just about to list my Turbo Trans Am, and dodge Pick up on there this week
Old 01-16-2005, 12:20 PM
Registered

Angry Re: EBAY, not such a great deal anymore

Originally Posted by Panther
I just use it to get rid of stuff that I'm not going to use anymore. For instance, I sold a TRS upper that I had laying around for several years. I sold my boat, don't have TRS anymore so it didn't make any sense to save it.

One case I got burned, I sold a Borg Warner Trans. Listed it, realized I screwed up on the reserve, went to go change it but someone had already bid on it. Someone got a good trans for $175 because I just spent $100 to put in new clutch plates.. ughhhh, oh well, it would have just sat in my basement collecting dust anyway.

You should have just pulled the auction.

It really pisses me off to think that after ebay A$$ rapes you on fees, they also get a chunk of your paypal money.
Old 01-16-2005, 03:13 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Re: EBAY, not such a great deal anymore

so much for Ebay. What a rip.

Quick Reply: EBAY, not such a great deal anymore

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.