Notices

Motors in Cats

Old 01-22-2005, 06:47 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motors in Cats

I'm looking at buying a 35' Motion cat and noticed that most cats of this size have forward mounted motors running drive shafts. However, the two newest 35 Motions that I've seen on the market have the motors mounted at the transom.

I really like one of the transom mount boats, but I'm not sure why they would change the rigging layout. I really like the access of forward mounted motors. The dealer says the fuel tanks have been moved to keep the CG correct.

I've got a picture of each rigging location below.

Anyone got any insider information? Should I even worry about the mounting location??

Thanks!

Last edited by jbrauer; 09-17-2007 at 07:46 PM.
Old 01-22-2005, 07:33 AM
Registered

Received 293 Likes on 107 Posts
Default Re: Motors in Cats

to change plugs would be a nightmare
Old 01-22-2005, 08:45 AM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what years are the pics off?
Old 01-22-2005, 08:49 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean H
what years are the pics off?
Orange and yellow is 2003

White is a 1999
Old 01-22-2005, 08:59 AM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do they have the same drives on them? i have noticed some cats have shafts and some don't, i would say you would have to drive them back to back and feel the difference, i personally like the idea of the motors being farther forward, ease of maint., balance.... but you do lose some storage area ( i use mine for fenders and lines, i had some fiberglass holders made and put along the bulkhead.....)
Old 01-22-2005, 10:03 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I have had the opportunity to ride in both types of set up and have built engines for both types also and in my opinion for racing or pleasure the rear engine set up is the best handling best rinding set up. The person responsible for the new boat rigging that you have a picture of is a personal friend for mine and has raced boats for years with my engines the people that are rigging them now for Motion have just now started to do so for them. I'm sure they can do a quality job but if you want to ask any tech questions I can put you in contact with them. That rear engine set up has gone mid to high 110s and we have had high 140s with forward mounted engines but much more power and not ridding as good. We have a rear engine blower engine thats going to be finished soon PM me if you need any help . Sincerely Laz Mesa
P.S. I think that is on hell of a boat their making and great quality also.
Old 01-22-2005, 11:27 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have no experience with these boats but I like the concept of the forward engines. I can hook up one of my ON-BOARD-DYNOs to that drive shaft on the moved forward boat. I would buy the one with the 500EFI motors because of the motors alone. I am building an inside extension box for the bravo setup which would move the engine forward 8". It will move the CG forward a bit and I hope will make the cobra ride flatter.
Old 01-22-2005, 11:36 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

My motors are foward quite a bit. My drive shafts are about 20" long and it flies straight as an arrow. it all depends on which perticular boat you are refering. Call Larry Goldman at Xtreme Marine 305-947-3278. He rigged 95% of the Motions out there. He knows more about rigging Motions then the anyone. He usuall puts the motors forward. If you tell me which Motion you are interested in, I may be able to give you some feedback. Over the years there were changes made. The boats with the engines against the transom are a "mother" to work on. The ones that are mounted forward are great to work on, you can stand infront or behind the engines.
Attached Thumbnails Motors in Cats-small-lubejobs.jpg  
Old 01-22-2005, 10:31 PM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

The 35 is a notched transom hull. Having the engines on the transom means the engines are actually over the rear of the boat. This is typcially the setup with the 500hp and bravos that will run 110+. Big hp and sixes require transmissions and driveshafts. I have 30" driveshafts (Gino yours are also 30" I measured). The engines are forward to keep the boat level at those real high speed. Mine flies level in rough water. Look at the big power cats MTI, Skater and notice where the engines are located.

To answer regarding that boat, it will be perfect mounted back with those engines.

Last edited by Brad Zastrow; 01-22-2005 at 10:38 PM.
Old 01-23-2005, 06:59 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I checked with Larry Goldman. There were only 2 Motion 35's he knows of that were rigged with the engines all the way back. The first is a 2003 Red, yellow and orange one he currently has for sale. It was in a previous post with tv's in the head rests and the second is The Incredible Hulk which is owned by the owner of Motion. He said the 2003 has the fuel tanks very far forward so to compensate for weight the put the engines back. The Incredible Hulk is brand new and the hull was changed a little bit. When I had 500'2 and Bravos with Boxex, my drive shafts were 23".
He said he will cut you a killer deal on a Motion. He said before you buy a 99 with HP"s for $129k, Call him!

Quick Reply: Motors in Cats

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.