Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Relocating and Finding employment in Carolina or Florida, experience? >

Relocating and Finding employment in Carolina or Florida, experience?

Notices

Relocating and Finding employment in Carolina or Florida, experience?

Old 01-24-2005, 11:21 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Relocating and Finding employment in Carolina or Florida, experience?

I was recently released from my company after 15 years and got a nice severance as 10% of the Information Technology department was let go. Anyway.....

I've been giving thought of relocating somewhere warmer and with a better job market(and boating). I'm in Allentown, PA and IT jobs are not plentiful. I have no kids and both my fiance and I each own a home. She has a good job, but is willing to follow after I would get established.

Getting to the point..... when I'm looking at positions on Monster.com, there are a lot of technology jobs listed, but doesn't seem like any of them give you an idea of salary. Do you just keep submitting resumes and go through the process only to find out it doesn't pay what your looking for? Is it OK to contact them ahead of time to find out what the salary is? Did you find that company's typically don't like to look at people from outside the area? Use a jobber angency? Not sure if I'm trying to chew on to much at one time or not here, but it seems confusing to hone in on what I might be looking for.

I appreciate an insight you might have to offer!
Old 01-24-2005, 12:36 PM
Registered

Default Re: Relocating and Finding employment in Carolina or Florida, experience?

You would have the best luck with a recruiter. Does not cost you anything.
Several ways to find them:
* Ask others you know from your field for references regarding recruiters.
* Ask your current HR department who they have used.
* Visit www.brilliantpeople.com , they are a large recruiting franchise firm with locations everywhere. You can search for recruiters that specialize in the placement of people with you skills. Contact them directly afterwards and stay in front of them. Remember they are hit with a lot of candidates that are looking so sell yourself from the start and stand out.

Recruiters get paid one of two ways. Either they are retained by a company to fill positions or they have candidates first and contact companies they know would be interested in someone like you. If the company hires you then they get paid a percentage of your first years salary. I believe the average is about 20%.

Hope that helps,

ST31

Last edited by ST31; 01-24-2005 at 12:41 PM.
Old 01-24-2005, 12:45 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 515 Posts
Default Re: Relocating and Finding employment in Carolina or Florida, experience?

Good luck ECB! I am looking too. I have found in the past that if they beat around the bush with salary, they are not really worth it. Good folks cost a lot of money. They need you, more than you need them. I am sure there are exceptions, but the minute they start snowing you with how AWESOME OUR COMPENSATION PLAN is, and benefits, and all that crap, get the bottom line out of them as quick as you can, and move on.
Old 01-24-2005, 12:53 PM
Registered

What type of work are you looking for? What are both of your skills in? You never know, but I may be able to help out. I try to stay networked pretty well through the IT industry. I worked in the software industry before with BEA Systems and now work for a company on the services side by the name of Data Return.
Old 01-24-2005, 01:23 PM
Registered

Hey East Cost B! I'm in the same boat (no pun intended!)! Except, luckily I didn't get laid off, it's more of a choice. We are looking in MI and SE Virginia (where family is). Of course, my choice is down where the Hampton Roads Powerboaters are, but the wife is thinking differently. Anyway, I've just started using Careerbuilder.com. It is very interesting that jobs that SHOULD post salaries don't, but ask you to send YOUR salary requirements! I lost one opportunity already by asking them what they would pay, and instead, they insisted that I give them my salary requirements (which you gotta shoot high since you can always come down) and for whatever reason it killed the deal. That seems really DUMB! If I know what the job should pay, then I'll know whether I would be interested in talking with you ahead of time or not. Rather than go thru the process to find out they can't and won't pay you enough.

I'm looking into Monster and HotJobs.com too
Old 01-24-2005, 02:20 PM
Registered

We both have been IT Generalists for the past 15 years with a Large Global company www.AirProducts.com. We both have BS degrees, she also has accounting degree, I have AAS management and electronics degrees and Coast Guard background.

Most recently, I've worked with SAP and BPCS ERP systems, IT project management, IT development process leadership, App to App development and process utilizing an integration broker, B to B integration with Dunn&Bradstreet, Office2003 deployment-Application testing lead. Other experience is IT asset management/budgeting/inventory, application analysis and system administration, resource management/forecasting/leveling, IT Help Desk.

I applied for the job they posted here recently for "Get paid to drive a boat" Evinrude Field Rep, however I haven't heard anything thing back from them. I was actually hoping to grab the Tampa Market which would get me a foot into the marine industry as well as the Florida region. What better time to jump occupations to something I would enjoy, understanding the money wouldn't be there.

I also posted with SAP which would be a good company offing portability into almost any area. One of my fellow laid off friends just landed a job with them down near Phila. and got a GREAT deal.

I'm putting my hooks out everywhere, hoping something will pop up and somehow play a role in moving somewhere.

All this time off and single digit temps out there! Damm, it's not right!
Old 01-24-2005, 02:25 PM
Registered

I've found www.dice.com to be pretty solid for IT leads.
Old 01-24-2005, 02:27 PM
Registered

Try locating a recruiter to help you here. It's a good place to start.

http://www.mrinetwork.com/pcrbin/rec...%2b6HnwJRkDg1F
Old 01-24-2005, 02:53 PM
Registered

Brilliantpeople.com is now MRINetwork.com
Old 01-24-2005, 03:56 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

I'm not looking right now but I keep my resume on Monster. I get a few calls and emails every week. In the DC area, if you have IT experience and a degree finding a job is not hard. My current job found me.

I found that a lot of the jobs the head hunters came up with were temp. jobs.

Good Luck

Quick Reply: Relocating and Finding employment in Carolina or Florida, experience?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.