Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   bonehead reporter gets it half right (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/95105-bonehead-reporter-gets-half-right.html)

ratman 01-24-2005 10:19 PM

bonehead reporter gets it half right

just watched the nyc poker run coverage on discovery chqannel. i hope skater sponsored the show... from this day forward all hulls that pack air shall be called skater cats no matter who actually manufatures the hole... er a hull. hopefully the folks at callahan, mti, etc will be O K with the new moniker... btw i didn't know you had to go thru those 1450 sterlings every 50 hours and only reuse the heads blocks and cranks... anyone buy any used rods from these guys? i figure as many big hp motors as these guys sell and build/ freshen there should be a lot of sets of used rods available, or one would think. i would think a good set of oliver or carrillo rods would stand more than 50 hours of use.

JCPERF 01-24-2005 10:20 PM

Re: bonehead reporter gets it half right

Originally Posted by ratman
just watched the nyc poker run coverage on discovery chqannel. i hope skater sponsored the show... from this day forward all hulls that pack air shall be called skater cats no matter who actually manufatures the hole... er a hull. hopefully the folks at callahan, mti, etc will be O K with the new moniker... btw i didn't know you had to go thru those 1450 sterlings every 50 hours and only reuse the heads blocks and cranks... anyone buy any used rods from these guys? i figure as many big hp motors as these guys sell and build/ freshen there should be a lot of sets of used rods available, or one would think. i would think a good set of oliver or carrillo rods would stand more than 50 hours of use.

If there not at the bottom of the bilge. :D :eek:

Sean H 01-24-2005 10:23 PM

i guess they just toss the blowers, oil pans, carbs, rods, intercoolers, and everything else..... hey jc, next time you rebuild a zul and throw this stuff away, just ups to me... all i will need to buy is a block, crank and heads.... :D

ratman 01-24-2005 10:24 PM

jc, what happens to the rods? do they get hammered by detonation? how hard do they rev those 557's? thx ratman

JCPERF 01-24-2005 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Sean H
i guess they just toss the blowers, oil pans, carbs, rods, intercoolers, and everything else..... hey jc, next time you rebuild a zul and throw this stuff away, just ups to me... all i will need to buy is a block, crank and heads.... :D

Theres complete 800s in Zuls dumpster at all times.You save on the disassembly charge. :D

stecz20 01-24-2005 10:26 PM

well set me up with some of that garbage... i am a garabge man you know...

JCPERF 01-24-2005 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by ratman
jc, what happens to the rods? do they get hammered by detonation? how hard do they rev those 557's? thx ratman

They should be able to go more than 50 hours.Check them for cracks[magnaflux]and maybe put new bolts.Check big end for roundness.And ofcourse tell the customer nothing happened to them like Sean Hs truck. :evilb: :D

tomtbone1993 01-24-2005 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by JCPERF
They should be able to go more than 50 hours.Check them for cracks[magnaflux]and maybe put new bolts.Check big end for roundness.And ofcourse tell the customer nothing happened to them like Sean Hs truck. :evilb: :D

:D :D :D

Sean H 01-24-2005 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by JCPERF

my truck has more power than those motors you build.... :rolleyes:

JCPERF 01-24-2005 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Sean H
my truck has more power than those motors you build.... :rolleyes:

Torque maybe :evilb: