Notices

Why are Turbos Banned?

Old 01-25-2005, 10:03 AM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Why are Turbos Banned?

In Superboat unlimited and APBA PX class, turbochargers and blowers are allowed.

In all other classes, they got ride of blowers and turbos so the engines would live longer and finish races.

Got a Turbo? Go run against Bacardi in the PX class.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:06 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First of all the days of turbo lag are gone. Turbos used with the right EFI combo can make horsepower numbers than supercharged engines only dream of. Because of their success they have been banned from many sanctioning bodies. This is a shame because you have no idea where turbo technology would be today if it weren’t for being banned. I have spent 18 years working with EFI Turbo setups. There really is no limit to the horsepower potential. (well there was back in the carb days) There are 3 liter turbocharged engines on the street today that make more horsepower & torque than MerCruiser’s most powerful supercharged racing engine. The only drawback to turbochargers other than expense is their emission ratings. With cleaner air standards tightening these days turbos just cool the exhaust too much to burn clean.

I would love to see turbos used in powerboat racing. Imagine all of the horsepower you want in your boat.. then double it. That is what turbocharging technology can provide your engine. Right now no one makes a drive strong enough to handle it and I don’t think you will see one that can within the next decade.

Roby
Old 01-25-2005, 10:08 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe they are allowed in all P classes, not just PX
Old 01-25-2005, 10:14 AM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by robyw1
First of all the days of turbo lag are gone. Turbos used with the right EFI combo can make horsepower numbers than supercharged engines only dream of. Because of their success they have been banned from many sanctioning bodies. This is a shame because you have no idea where turbo technology would be today if it weren’t for being banned. I have spent 18 years working with EFI Turbo setups. There really is no limit to the horsepower potential. (well there was back in the carb days) There are 3 liter turbocharged engines on the street today that make more horsepower & torque than MerCruiser’s most powerful supercharged racing engine. The only drawback to turbochargers other than expense is their emission ratings. With cleaner air standards tightening these days turbos just cool the exhaust too much to burn clean.

I would love to see turbos used in powerboat racing. Imagine all of the horsepower you want in your boat.. then double it. That is what turbocharging technology can provide your engine. Right now no one makes a drive strong enough to handle it and I don’t think you will see one that can within the next decade.

Roby
i would go for a couple of 2jz-gte turned up to about 800HP and some surface drives in my 30' cat... lightweight and a ton of power...
Old 01-25-2005, 10:18 AM
Registered

Why arent they used? Water jacketed turbo housings are rare and expensive. I know they have been done before but who has done it for a modern turbo charger lately?

Ron
Old 01-25-2005, 10:24 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by rjcardinal
Why arent they used? Water jacketed turbo housings are rare and expensive. I know they have been done before but who has done it for a modern turbo charger lately?

Ron
What?? I would have to say that 80% of the turbos manufactured today are water jacketed. This is a common practice. dry turbos went out with the "turbo-timer-luber" call it what you want.

Roby
Old 01-25-2005, 10:34 AM
Registered

Learn something new everyday. So what you are saying is that 80% of the turbos made today could be installed in an enclosed engine compartment on a boat?

Ron
Old 01-25-2005, 10:37 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Same ban happened in Formula 1 the were getting 1200HP out of a 1.5 liter engine in Qualification trim.

On a per litre ratio that would put a 502 big block at 6,500 HP ...

Only one thing I remember often checking my Supra's engine under the hood after a good whoopping and that thing was bright red so was the exhaust manifold.... It might scare me around fiberglass to have red hot metals...then again you could make all that stuff water cooled it's only money!!!!!

Last edited by GLH; 01-25-2005 at 10:39 AM.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:37 AM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by robyw1
What?? I would have to say that 80% of the turbos manufactured today are water jacketed. This is a common practice. dry turbos went out with the "turbo-timer-luber" call it what you want.

Roby

i had one of those on my grand national.... come to think of it, that was a long time ago...
Old 01-25-2005, 10:55 AM
Registered

Your Grand National came stock with the Garrett T3 dry center section. Alot of the Buick guys went with the larger Garrett T4 and beyond.

Ron, when I say waterjacketed I mean bearing center section. I didn't mean exhaust That has to be retrofitted as I'm sure many are available for boats. Powerboats are ideal for turbos because you have an unlimited supply of cool water for your water-to-air intercooler. This means you could produce even more power with lower grade fuels than you could in a car.

Roby

Quick Reply: Why are Turbos Banned?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.