Notices

Potomac Boat Launch

Old 02-01-2005, 10:26 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potomac Boat Launch

What boat ramp/launch do you prefer for launching your powerboat?
Old 02-01-2005, 10:34 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 342 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Re: Potomac Boat Launch

I use Pohick Bay. The ramps are OK and it's very close to where I store my boat.

Craig
Old 02-01-2005, 10:35 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,185 Likes on 515 Posts

Used to use Leesylvania State Park every time, but ever since Hurricane Isabel, that whole place has been a mess. The entire area inside the breakwater was filled with silt. The dredged it, but it will always be shallow. The ramps/docks were completely destroyed, and they did not fix the docks very well. Cap that off with all the bass-boats that power load onto their trailers, there are huge holes at the bottom of the ramps where many of us have had problems with trailer falling off the ramps at low tides. Its a shame as Leesylvania had one State Park of the Year several times before.

Pohick Bay Park is another one which is REALLY shallow. With a strong Eastern breeze, the wind will actually push a lot of water out of that entire bay.

Personally, I prefer Occoquan Park. The long no wake zone does kinda suck, but it gives you time to get everything ready going out or coming in. There is NEVER an issue at the ramp, long, deep, and not too crowded.

Occoquan Park Ramp:
Attached Thumbnails Potomac Boat Launch-boat0014.jpg   Potomac Boat Launch-boat0015.jpg   Potomac Boat Launch-boat0016.jpg  

Last edited by Sydwayz; 02-01-2005 at 10:41 AM.
Old 02-01-2005, 10:40 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use Goose Bay Marina. Depends what part of the Potomac you are on. Goose Bay needs some work. They could use some gravel or better yet pavement.
Old 02-01-2005, 11:00 AM
Registered

Received 89 Likes on 18 Posts

I use Fairview Beach Yacht Club. Not that nice, and I wouldn't take anything over 25' there.

If you're near the Stafford area, Hope Springs Marina is nice. Exit 140 off I95. The only downfalls are: limited truck/trailer parking on busy weekend, and a 10-15 minute no wake zone heading out.
Old 02-01-2005, 11:45 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We use Shymanski's Marina ramp, but that is only because we live on Cobb Island. I don't think anyone would come down to use Capt John's ramp or Skymanski's unless you lived on the island or in Swan Point.

We have also used Smallwood state park. Nice when the hydrilla doesn't take over.

Patti and Bill
Old 02-01-2005, 11:55 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

On the MD side .....

1. Smallwood Park, already mentioned, Nice ramps, I'll just add that you have to be out by dark.
2. Goose bay, that's where I usually launch, 24 hrs.
3. Marshall Hall, good ramps but they are not well protected, if it's windy it can be tough. This ramp is free.
4. Port Tobacco, not much parking
5. Aqua land, ramps aren't that great
Old 02-01-2005, 12:17 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,291 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by 43Thunder
We use Shymanski's Marina ramp, but that is only because we live on Cobb Island. I don't think anyone would come down to use Capt John's ramp or Skymanski's unless you lived on the island or in Swan Point.

We have also used Smallwood state park. Nice when the hydrilla doesn't take over.

Patti and Bill
Yep Bruces is good, there is also Saunders, ramp is ok, but shallow getting back in there. Just so happens the back of our house looks at it so its fast. To use Capt johns, if your not fast you really tie up traffic.If you come up to the bay, sandy point, big ramps, very nice lots of room...

Rob
Old 02-01-2005, 02:59 PM
Registered

Well, I'd say it totally depends on what size boat and trailer you use and what the tides are doing. I USED to go to Occoquan Park when I had my Formula 242 (26'). One day the tide was a little on the low side, I could not get my boat on the trailer. The reason was that the ramp has (had) an almost 4 foot drop off at the end of the concrete and trailers were falling off the end. Of course that is from all the people that "power" their boats on the trailer. At least two people next to me dropped their trailers over the edge that day. Luckily, I already knew about the drop off and only dropped off one axle (of two) and still could not get it loaded. So, I called my friends over at Hoffmaster's Marina and they let me use their "private" ramp. So, needless to say, I've never been back to Occoquan, especially not with my Formula 292 (31')!

I use Leesylvania every time. It's the nicest ramp I've seen in this area and I've used and seen almost all of them. As far as the tide goes, as long as you know where the end of the ramp is, you are fine. I have not had 1 time where I could not get the boat on the trailer because of tide issues. Although, I usually don't make it a point to go out AT low tide. Usually plus or minus 1 hour is good. The new ramps are nice and long. They need to put a ramp back in the middle, though.

What size boat do you have and where do you live?
Old 02-01-2005, 03:52 PM
Registered

Boat size is a 280 Velocity and I'm out of southern PA. Usually I launch from Sandy Point, but I'm looking for something that has overnight parking.

Quick Reply: Potomac Boat Launch

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.