Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   OK, I bought my first offshore performance boat; now what? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/95623-ok-i-bought-my-first-offshore-performance-boat%3B-now-what.html)

rouxsterre 02-02-2005 01:10 PM

Re: OK, I bought my first offshore performance boat; now what?

Now what ? ? ? . . . go buy a Chapman's.

Rippem 02-02-2005 01:32 PM

If you like that paint, put out lots of big fenders on both sides 'till you get the hang of it. I carry six 8.5 x 20 HTMs with soft covers on the boat at all times. Enough to protect both sides or put four or five on one side. It's not worth the damage that can be done that you'll have to live with, not to. I've been in a twin engine 30+ foot boats for 9 years, and have what I feel are very good boathandling skills...but I still don't take chances on damaging the boat!
You don't always have to be moving the boat in any gear when docking. Alot of times it pays to go nuetral for 15-30 seconds to give the momemtum you have a chance to play out, even at very slow speed, especially in a bigger boat. There's alot more wieght there, and nose to play in the wind...go sloooooow...read what you've already got going and creep up on your objective, unless immediate action is required due to wind, or some idiot operator in another boat.

Good Luck. :)

fund razor 02-02-2005 01:42 PM

Here:

Never approach a dock any faster than you want to hit it.

Rippem 02-02-2005 02:08 PM

yea, I'll buy that...are you local? :D

50boat 02-02-2005 10:55 PM

:drink: :drink: you will do just grate,, all this advise is grate,i subed my 42 ,lighting going to the shoot out 2 years ago. trying to go slow and give all a nice ride. about 2ft water came over the bow, blowed out the windo. 1800$, think you verry much. sooo the heck with tabs and drives in , in rough water. anny way its no fun to boat in smooth water wate 4 those 3 to5 foot rollers , mide day, and rock and roll. iam at 25mm loto sting ray cove. i never miss a weak end, all year . allwase like to meet people. call. larry 913-947-7222

yss 02-02-2005 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by fund razor
Here:

Never approach a dock any faster than you want to hit it.

This is a great piece of advice. Go very very slow when docking. It is much easier to park a boat that is creeping in. Unless you're Captian Ron. Now start cleaning swab.