Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Possible New Boat Ramp In Pinellas Co.,Florida (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/95946-possible-new-boat-ramp-pinellas-co-florida.html)

WaterAccess 02-06-2005 10:56 AM

Possible New Boat Ramp In Pinellas Co.,Florida

I just learned about an issue that may be of interest to you.

As you know, there is an increasing shortage of boat ramps throughout the Tampa Bay region, and the entire state for that matter.

Pinellas County wants to work with the Florida Park Service to build a sizable boat ramp at Honeymoon Island State Park, offering quick access to offshore waters as well as the inshore waters of Clearwater Harbor and St. Joseph Sound (prime trout territory). Currently, there is no decent public boat ramp at all between the Anclote ramp in Pasco and downtown Clearwater! I am not counting that makeshift dirt launch area at Pop Stansell Park in Palm Harbor. And you know how crowded Anclote is on the weekends – if you’re not there by 8 a.m., you can’t find a place to park.

Pinellas County has the capital funds right now to do this project, but apparently there are concerns from the state permitting people that may sink the project.

There will be a public workshop on the project next Wednesday, Feb. 9 from 6-8 p.m. at the Hale Activity Center, 330 Douglas Ave., in Dunedin.

Please let others in your network know about this. I think the county really needs people to speak in favor of the boat ramp. Pinellas builds and maintains first-class boat ramps, as evidenced by Fort DeSoto and Bay Pines.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________________________________

Official Notice of the Florida Department of Environmental Protection- Authorized Under Section 120.551, F.S. Publication Date-January 7, 2005

PUBLIC NOTICE

The Florida Department of Environmental Protection, Division of Recreation and Parks announce a Public Workshop to which all persons are invited.

Date and Time: Wednesday, February 9, 2005, 6:00 PM

330 Douglas Avenue

Dunedin, Florida 34698

Purpose: To present the proposed land management plans for Caladesi Island State Park and Honeymoon Island State Park to the public.

Pursuant to the Americans With Disabilities Act, any person requiring special accommodations to participate in this workshop is asked to advise the agency at least 48 hours before the workshop by calling the Bureau of Personnel Services at (850) 245-2511, or by calling (800) 955-8771 (TDD) or (800) 955-8770 (Voice) via the Florida Relay Service.

magnum 02-06-2005 01:20 PM

Re: Possible New Boat Ramp In Pinellas Co.,Florida

I'll be there!

cuda 02-06-2005 01:45 PM

Lord knows they need it. That one on Anclote sucks with all the current there. At all the other parks, during the summer, if you're not there by 9am, you can forget a parking place. That's why I always used Ft Desoto. They will let you park as far down that road in the grass as you are willing to walk.

CigDaze 02-07-2005 09:55 AM

ttt

We could definately use another ramp.

WaterAccess 02-08-2005 04:16 PM

ttt

The meeting is tomorrow...

happy hours 02-09-2005 07:19 AM

ttt, the meeting is today!

happy hours 02-09-2005 08:24 PM

I went ...... I saw...I didn't say crap. In my silence defense I am pretty much sick as hel% and there was not much good to say. It was a lot of "not in my backyard" types there. It was discuss the states plan for Honeymoon and Caladesse Island for the next couple years. Lots of good things but no boat ramp, I doubt ever in that state park. I was happy to hear the county commissioner (I forget her name) say they are working very hard on locations and budget for new boat ramps. We sure could use them. the one at Fort Desoto is top notch

WaterAccess 02-09-2005 09:27 PM

Commissioner Susan Latvala(Pinellas Co.),David Eggers(City of Dunedin),and myself spoke on the ramp subject.(all in favor)
The park service does not want it but the people do.Senator Mike Fasano has writen the head of the DEP, on our behalf, in favor of the ramp.

WE NEED STRONG SHOWINGS AT THESE MEETINGS,that tells the legislators what we want.

They know that we vote...

WaterAccess 02-12-2005 10:41 PM

ttt

happy hours 02-13-2005 08:30 AM

Water access, I am just curious, we you the guide that spoke just prior to the county commissar speaking? Just trying to put a face with the words. I was sitting behind you one row to you left....sniffing away. :-)