Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
I need some help getting a title in Boston Mass area may need legal help as well. >

I need some help getting a title in Boston Mass area may need legal help as well.

Notices

I need some help getting a title in Boston Mass area may need legal help as well.

Old 12-09-2004, 10:36 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb I need some help getting a title in Boston Mass area may need legal help as well.

OK guys I need some help here. This is a long story but I'll try and make it short. I bought a boat in Mass back in May 04. I to this day do not have a title. The guy who sold it to me sold it to me on a bill of sale. He claimed Mass was not a title state 10 years ago which was the last time this boat was in the water. So me not know alot beleived him and bought the boat on a bill of sale.I am currently looking into sueing him for fraud and a couple of other things.

Well he was right the boat had not been registered in the last 10 years. But it was in fact titled to someone, someone other than him. This boat was sold 4 times on a bills of sale to 4 different people and none of them tried to get title for it. The Boat was last titled to a guy in Buzzards Bay Mass. This boat has not beed stolen or at least has not beed reported stolen. I have contacted the person who according to the state of mass owns the boat. He is who I would need to get title from. However I can not get a hold of him directly. He owns some kind of dredging company and is always out of town according to his wife. I have requested that she fill out the pertanant paperwork for me to get a duplicate title and then sign that over to me. 10 or 12 times I talked to her and she siad no problem I'll do it. 7 month later I still have no title. Now the last time I called her she told me she is too buys to sign a piece of paper and she can't help me.

So thats where I'm at I have a boat and no title. I have spoken with mass outdoors, the police, the sherrif, the title office a attorney in both Ohio and Mass. (I live in Ohio) with no options that seem feesiable So what I need is someone who may have an idea how I can get a title for this boat. Or someone to go to this ladys house or business with the proper paperwork and have it signed for me. Or some one who knows how to get a hold of the actual guy who the boat is titled to. His name is Michael Hallam. He owns Matt Marine. If I could actually get a hold of him he may help me. His wife sure won't. Or some one who knows a legal option to get a title. Here in Ohio we have such a thing as a court order title. Where the court orders a new title to be created.

Mass outdoors said the only way I can get title is to have the owne Mike Hallam or his wife sign it over to me.

Thanks
Rob
Old 12-09-2004, 10:57 AM
Registered

Default Re: I need some help getting a title in Boston Mass area may need legal help as well.

Here in Tennessee we still do not use titles for boat and a bill of sale is all that is required. I guess Tennessee is a little slow.
Old 12-09-2004, 11:04 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: I need some help getting a title in Boston Mass area may need legal help as well.

in calif its a title for everything,, state makes more money that way..
can u just do a liensale?
i dont know about your state but here if u do a liensale all parties on title get notified and if no response after 30 days i belive it stillis, u take packet to dmv and register.
Old 12-09-2004, 11:32 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Leathl he may not have been BSing you about the title. They at one time did not require them but they do now. The problem is they have been requiring them for enough time that they assume that all boats have them...... I had the same problem and I can definatly get this taken care of for you. Call me later today (after 6 or so) and I will let you know what I can do for ya. Just a short drive up the road for me that I am happy to do for ya. (978) 985-0639. I will need your bill of sale and any info that you have for the boat and trailer. It will be registered in your name for both so you do not have to worry about me.....

Jon
Old 12-09-2004, 11:35 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts

I am in MA, but do all of my boating in New Hampshire. I spoke to Russo Marina in Boston, they are one of the largest marinas in MA. The girl said they use both a bill of sale and a title. She said you would have to get the title from this guy or you don't own it nor does the person that sold it to you. I asked her if you could apply for a duplicate title and she said only the owner on record can do that. She gave me the number for the boat registry 1-617-626-1610. They might be able to help you. It sounds like you are going to have to have that guy get a new title.
Old 12-09-2004, 11:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rob I can't believe your still in this nightmare! I hope you can finally get this resloved. Wish I could be more help. Jo
Old 12-09-2004, 12:24 PM
Registered

Thanks for all the help so far guys. I have spoken with the boat registry. They told me he is the only person I can get title from.

As far as him not bs'ing me. I can't be sure if he knew or not. But our purchase agreement states he will provide good clear title. He hasn't even tried to and now he told me all contacts between me and him should go through an attorney. So he's being no help at all. Not to mention the boat was supposed to have 2 new motors. One blew after 5 minutes of run time. Oil pan was full of sludge valve train was covered with rust. The other is coming out now to be rebuilt. So it had to build 2 motors for it.

Audio I will call you tonight. after 6 hope you can help me. I'm kinda lost right now.

Joe me neither. I'm going nuts over here. At least it's winter now and I can't use it any how.

Thanks All Rob
Old 12-09-2004, 01:04 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Dude BELIEVE me I can relate after the porking I took on the pair of motors I purchased. Getting your boat registered in your name is a piece of cake and actually I may be able to save you some money on taxes so perhaps it is not all bad. Talk to you later this evening.

Jon
Old 12-09-2004, 02:44 PM
RHC
Registered

WS6,,, its not that tuff/ Ohio Law has a provision for lost title claims,,, You need to talk to the local title bureau and get a form (cant remember the name or #) it works for abandend and vehicals left in storage where the owners can not be found,,, However ,, it also provides a way for you to collect your losses Ie: your move cost , the engine fix cost, the storage cost ,,, ect.. using the $$ amount that you have put in boat ,,, and that number being higher than the value of the boat ,,, the state will contact the last owner of record and ask him to recover his property,,, and tell him his cost,,, which he will not pay to you!! At that point ,,, about 60 to 90 days ,, the state will issue a title to you... Its a slow process but it works ,,, just make sure that you have more $$ spent than the value of the boat, Good Luck ..
RHC
Old 12-09-2004, 02:57 PM
Registered

I have already checked into that. State of Ohio Title office told me the boat need to of been left on your property. Or I would of needed to be contracted to repair the boat. Thats not the case. Then they told me boats are different than cars and the boat would be sold at an auction. i don't how true any of this is but thats what they told me. If you have some factual information I would greatly apperciate it. I will look into it further anyhow.

Thanks Rob

Audio talk to you in a few.

Quick Reply: I need some help getting a title in Boston Mass area may need legal help as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.