Notices

Duramax Suburban Quotes

Old 02-09-2005, 11:16 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Duramax Suburban Quotes

I dont mean to bag on GM here(well maybe just a little) but the new "Allison" behind the duramax isn't any diffrent than the trans Ford is now using called the torqueshift its a 5 speed auto. I just bought a new F-550 work truck with the 6.0L diesel and the toqueshift and so far no problems with anything. 24,000 Miles in the first 6 months mostly fully loaded. GVW is 19,000. The allison in the chevys was designed for that truck its not an off the shelf bulletproof allison transmission, it is smaller than the 545 wich was previously the smallest thing they built. It is mostly just a brand image thing with the allison name. Don't get me wrong though Allison doesn't make any product that is substandard but its not exceptional eiher.
Old 02-09-2005, 11:42 PM
Masher touches my
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by masher44
What Excursion and what stuff???
Stuff? Transmission, door lock actuators, power window motors, air pump (truck has no vacuum), front hubs, alternator, a/c manifold in dash(air wouldn't switch from defroster to vents), steering wheel(leather wore out at 50,00 miles), rear main seal(under warranty(but it trashed my driveway), injectors, fuel pump, instrument cluster glass(it fogged up), head lights(they fogged up and looked like crap), trans cooler(it some how got a pinsized hole in it). That may be about it, its a 2000 with 64,000 miles on it. I wont buy another one for 50,000 (XLT w/ Powerstroke). I still love the way it looks though, just had alot porblems with it, I'm also meticulous, if it looks used or broken I'll fix it. I hate stuff that doesn't work properly.
I'll wait until Chevy puts out a diesel suburban..........
Old 02-10-2005, 07:26 AM
Registered

If you have to have a duramax, seems like it would be cheaper to get a 2500 crew cab add a cap! Or, you may be able to find someone to even add a seat to the bed!
Old 02-10-2005, 07:45 AM
Performance Boat Center
VIP Member

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

Hillbilly-
I have both a Ford and a Chevy (TorQShift and Allison).
The Allison behaves much better than the TS. It's shifting, both up and down is much smoother. The TS is also slow to go into gear when you shift from F-R or R-F. Trivial I know, but it's certainly noticable..
The trans temp on the TS will actually rise, not by much but it will, where as I have never seen the temp on the Allison move.

I did pull a 42 OL through the mountains of PA with a new F350 @ WOT and didn't have a problem.... Though I was told that that truck now needs or has gotten a new trans...
954-809-8739
Wright Performance, MTI, Cigarette, Sunsation
Old 02-10-2005, 09:26 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by hillbilly24
I dont mean to bag on GM here(well maybe just a little) but the new "Allison" behind the duramax isn't any diffrent than the trans Ford is now using called the torqueshift its a 5 speed auto.
You're joking right?

Everything, down to the parking detent in the Ford, is half the size of what's in the Allison. They're not even close to the same. Look at the track record on the TS versus the Allison. Yeah, you have 24K on yours... come talk to us when you hit 60K and have had it rebuilt a couple times. I'll bag on GM and compare the TS to the old 700R4 where you wanted to be near a tranny shop right around 40K miles.

You're comparing lemons to Allisons here.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:48 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Save the 20k and spend some $1500 on the 496: Chip, intake and exhaust. You will have the power you need.

Wannabe
Old 02-10-2005, 09:59 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by sign4boat
$50,000 for 01 or02 I needed the interior room of a suburban or an excursion. but wanted a 1 ton instead of a 3/4. plus wanted diesel. you can buy this under $45,000 with 4x4 conversion 6.l power stroke. it has twice the interior room of a burb. or ex.
Twice the interior room of Burb??? I find that very hard to believe. I had full size Dodge B2500 Conversion van and it did not have twice the interior room, maybe you mean head room Matter fact the Burb seats more ... my wife plus 7 little monsters (err uh ,,cherubs ) and has room behind the third row bench for a ton of groceries LOL. Much more room than the conversion van had behind the third row. The conv van had 4 Capt. chairs and 3rd row, so it could only seat 7 total. My Burb has more room when compared to Dodge's full size 2500.
Old 02-10-2005, 05:55 PM
Masher touches my
Gold Member

Those vans scare me, reminds me of silence of the lambs, you dont have a basement with a deep hole in it do you?
I guess you could always paint it purple and have "Mystery Machine" airbrushed on the side!!!
Old 02-10-2005, 10:37 PM
Masher touches my
Gold Member

I had a boss a few years back with a lifted Dodge van, 440, 4x4, 35" tires, dana 60's front and rear. He swore by it, used to bag on my Suburban and my Excursion. Most poeple who have them love them......... I know he still has that thing, he'll probably leave to his kids in his will.
Old 02-11-2005, 12:04 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by sign4boat
maybe this will help
Like I said head room LOL

Quick Reply: Duramax Suburban Quotes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.