Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Interesting Article on Avoiding Boat Sales Tax (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/96216-interesting-article-avoiding-boat-sales-tax.html)

Michael1 02-09-2005 10:03 PM

Interesting Article on Avoiding Boat Sales Tax

Boat Sales Tax Avoidance

Michael

Pantera1 02-09-2005 10:17 PM

Re: Interesting Article on Avoiding Boat Sales Tax

Just buy it in NH :D

t500hps 02-10-2005 05:54 AM

I live in VA but my boat is owned by a corp in the state of Delaware. (I own that corp) It's all on paper, but the boat is subject to Del law not VA. Del has no sales tax or personal property tax. Even a 40k boat saves money this way in VA. Just pay a small amount to maintain the corp each year.

ck54 02-10-2005 06:10 AM

That is all fine but if you leave that boat in NJ or Maryland for for 90 days at a marina you are going to pay the state tax!
Each state has people going around checking on these things.
This is big money for them and they are going to collect it.
It is almost impossible to get around paying the tax.

t500hps 02-10-2005 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by ck54
That is all fine but if you leave that boat in NJ or Maryland for for 90 days at a marina you are going to pay the state tax!

Oh yeah, I forgot about that.....Va isn't that bad, but they do some checking. We keep our boat at our private dock, or on the trailer behind the house. So far....Problem solved.

cig1988 02-10-2005 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by ck54

Not unless you get some sort of fuel receipt from Delaware. Been there, done that and it does work.

DoTheMath 02-10-2005 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Pantera1
Just buy it in NH :D

That was going to be my answer! :p

Pantera1 02-10-2005 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by t500hps
I live in VA but my boat is owned by a corp in the state of Delaware. (I own that corp) It's all on paper, but the boat is subject to Del law not VA. Del has no sales tax or personal property tax. Even a 40k boat saves money this way in VA. Just pay a small amount to maintain the corp each year.

No sales or property tax ?? Where do they get you ?

Sloman 02-10-2005 10:39 AM

my neighbor got popped every time the DNR came in our creek they noted it on the lift with a FL port finally he got a bill. he went to fight it and they had a long list of where the boat was spotted even at the local bars :eek:

HiPerf2000 02-10-2005 10:43 AM

Friend of mine just nailed for the same thing. got notification that he owed for a boat that he traded in 2 years ago. They are getting smarter about this stuff.