Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   What laptop computer should I buy ? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/96260-what-laptop-computer-should-i-buy.html)

boot 02-10-2005 03:22 PM

What laptop computer should I buy ?

I want a new lap top computer . Nothing real special .
Small is good . needs to be 800mhz or more . I need DVD/cd re-wright , floppy, ports & plugs to plug in everything ! Trying to keep the cost down around $800 or so . What company should I trust ? Dell , gateway , IBM, compaq, etc.... Thanks for the help .

PS. Does anyone on the board sell computers ?? :D

Thanks ,Joe

Tantrum 02-10-2005 03:28 PM

Re: What laptop computer should I buy ?

Toshiba makes the best laptops IMO

Decide what you want to pay and then look and see whats in that range.
Tigerdirect.com has very good prices.

Ron P 02-10-2005 03:29 PM

Joe, buy a Dell and be happy. Check out their inventory of bult systems that people sent back. Why, who knows...

Remanufactured Dell Notebooks

WHOSNEXT 02-10-2005 03:33 PM

Have had nothing but good luck with Dells, great price and service.

racer-x6 02-10-2005 03:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This One! Sorry I Couldn't Resist :d

Keith 02-10-2005 03:51 PM

The IBM Thinkpad line is #1 ranked consistently, bulletproof reliability and meant for business. You can't buy a better unit, but it's a business only type system. If you're looking for something to play games on and other tasks (such as playing music files, etc.), look at Dell and HP. Just figure out what you want to do with it, and what sort of applications you'll run daily.

If you decide on an IBM Thinkpad, send me the part/model number you're interested in.

Chris Sunkin 02-10-2005 04:07 PM

Toshiba is a better laptop than Dell but the Dell is going to cost a bit less. We're talking very small degrees here. Either will serve you very well. We buy Dell now because of their support which is excellent (also, we buy desktops and want to deal w/ only one vendor so Toshiba isn't an option there). I have used Toshiba's support and they were excellent as well. I had IBM's before and while it's a good computer performance wise, the support isn't as good. The big problem I have with IBM's laptops is that they have alot of issues with little things- such as screen latches and CD drives that have little, poorly engineered plastic bits that break off. Those things make me nuts. I also don't want to walk into a meeting and have to pull out a $3,000 laptop that has a rubber band around it to keep the screen shut.

Every other one out there is a lesser unit. If I were buying just one for myself, it would be a Toshiba.

boot 02-10-2005 04:46 PM

racerx6, Thats quite a system you have there !! :eek:

I think it may be a little too distracting for my needs ..... :D

Thanks everyone . I didn't think of toshiba yet .... I'll check that out too .

Ron, thanks .I'll ask them about the returns too . Joe

gdfatha 02-10-2005 04:55 PM

Toshiba is the best quality (I certified them to ISO standards). :eek:

For what you want you need to just about double that $800.

Be careful what kind of DVD recorder you get. Get one that does Plus AND MINUS formats and has a faster speed than 4X.

wwwTOPDJcom 02-10-2005 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Tantrum
Toshiba makes the best laptops IMO

Decide what you want to pay and then look and see whats in that range.
Tigerdirect.com has very good prices.

I agree and I have serviced them before only thing I ever replaced was worn out hard disks but 5 years on a hard disk is pretty good IMHO