Notices

U-Haul trailers

Old 02-11-2005, 01:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default U-Haul trailers

As I plan my move to Fla, I was thinking of taking my truck and one of my Mustangs. That would mean that I would need a car trailer.

I stopped at U-Haul, and it seems that there trailers have a max speed of 45 mph written all over them! That would be one heck of a long ride @ 45 mph! Why do they do that? I'm sure my PSD dually can tow a 93 v8 Mustang on a car trailer at the speed limit (at least) on 95 South!
Old 02-11-2005, 01:34 PM
Registered

Default Re: U-Haul trailers

Originally Posted by formula1
As I plan my move to Fla, I was thinking of taking my truck and one of my Mustangs. That would mean that I would need a car trailer.

I stopped at U-Haul, and it seems that there trailers have a max speed of 45 mph written all over them! That would be one heck of a long ride @ 45 mph! Why do they do that? I'm sure my PSD dually can tow a 93 v8 Mustang on a car trailer at the speed limit (at least) on 95 South!

CYA...what else...LIABILITY
Old 02-11-2005, 01:38 PM
Registered

I personally towed a 69 Camaro from Tampa to Atlanta for a race there on a U-haul trailor, and never went under 85 once on the interstate. Sometimes faster. It towed great, no problems

I guess I need to chime in on the "High Speed Towing" thread, huh?
Old 02-11-2005, 01:46 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did the same thing with one of their 5x8 box trailers when I had to move some furniture up to the lake house. It said 45mph all over it and it saw 70 the whole way w/o incident - it is a total liability thing.
Old 02-11-2005, 01:53 PM
Registered

Liability -

You may want to check with Budget or Penske. They seem to have newer equipment. Not a big fan of U-Haul.
Old 02-11-2005, 02:36 PM
Registered

I doubt your insurance will cover a loss if they can prove you were over 45. I'd look and see if there is something else available.
Old 02-11-2005, 02:49 PM
Registered

Talk about liability, ride down Interstate 95 at 45 MPH and see how long it takes before someone rams the rear of your rig! Or, you wind up getting pulled over for going to slow! That would not be something I would be willing to tell!
Old 02-11-2005, 03:30 PM
Registered

What does a trailer cost $1,500 - $2,000, what does it cost to rent the U-haul trailer? Why not buy a trailer, use it, and then sell it after the move. You might be able to break close to even. Being an insurance adjuster I can tell you that it would be a difficult claim to pay if your exceeding the safe speed listed for the trailer. Even though it is obvious that it is a cover your ass move by uhaul and their insurer, someone within that corporation is going to hold by it. If it was a large claim I can almost guarantee that issue would require litigation on your part to see any payment. I say play it safe, rent from another company or buy your own. If they cover their ass so should you. What about shipping it down via Amtrak?
Old 02-11-2005, 03:32 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The speed limit is just for insurance s*&t. The're no U-Haul cops checking speeds. Go with what you feel comfortable with. Most people have never towed anything before and if the speed is low they MIGHT go slow. I dought it thought.
Old 02-11-2005, 04:03 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dblvanos
What about shipping it down via Amtrak?
I forgot about that. I took a 63 Impala SS convert down to Fl a few years back on the Auto Train. Left Lorton Va around 4pm and arrived in Sanford Fl aboout 9am. Somebody had a 55 T-Bird on there too. Saved almost 1800 miles round trip.

Quick Reply: U-Haul trailers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.